cannot open old files

bberger

I have old files - mostly diagrams - created on an old version that I cannot open anymore. I created these old files on an older version (v 3.6 or something like that) that I was unable to open when I upgraded (originally to 5.6). It happened when I upgraded from OS 9 to OS X. When I try to open the files it asks me to select an application to open it with, but does not allow Accordance as an option. Is there any way that I will be able to access these files?

BTW. I am currently using v. 7.0

Thanks

If you use the Open command within Accordance, it should open the files. Then you can save them in the new file type.

I am not at the computer I have Accordance loaded on at the moment, so I can't give it another try, but when I tried that before, it would not give the old files options. When I tried to open the files, Accordance wasn't given as an appropriate application. When I tried through the application, these files weren't given as appropriate files.

I have had similar problems with MS Office programs, where I had to add the extensions (.doc, .xls, etc.) before I was able to open them. Could there be a similar solution to this? Are there different extensions for these files (i.e. diagrams vs. syntax)?

Thanks

Please send the files to me helen(at)accordancebible(dot)com. I will see what I can do with them. However, we are currently busy at the Jerusalem conference, so please be patient.

Helen, Thanks so much. I have waited a few years to even bring up the question, so I can certainly wait until the conference is over :D I appreciate any help you can give.

Guest frgpeter
I am not at the computer I have Accordance loaded on at the moment, so I can't give it another try, but when I tried that before, it would not give the old files options. When I tried to open the files, Accordance wasn't given as an appropriate application. When I tried through the application, these files weren't given as appropriate files.

I have had similar problems with MS Office programs, where I had to add the extensions (.doc, .xls, etc.) before I was able to open them. Could there be a similar solution to this? Are there different extensions for these files (i.e. diagrams vs. syntax)?

Thanks

Helen stated in the last post that you should open the files from "within" Accordance.

It sounds like you are trying to open from the finder, "Accordance was not given as an appropriate application."

1. Open Accordance

2. Select File --> Open ( or Cmd-O )

3. Navigate to the file(s) in question

4. Select file.

5. After opened in Accordance, File --> Save As...

Hth,

G. Peter David+

But then the next sentence states:

" When I tried through the application, these files weren't given as appropriate files."

I think they are grayed out, and are not able to be selected within the Open dialog box.

Tom

I received some sample files from bberger, and they had lost their resource fork information. This can happen when files are tranferred to a PC, and sometimes when they are zipped and unzipped. Once I restored the file type and creator, the diagrams were fine.

Archived