Backing up module arrangement

Julia Falling

Hey - Where do I go to find the data that I need to back up my module arrangement?

Thanks.

Hey - Where do I go to find the data that I need to back up my module arrangement?

Thanks.

Julie,

Generally backup everything that does not exist on a CD. You can always reinstall in case of hard disk failures. Since Accordance 7 now has user files for each user, each user has files that must be backed up properly. I use retrospect and rotating backup media of all user folders every couple of weeks. How frequent to backup is a judgement relating to how much pain the lost would mean to you. Moments ago, I was just reading Joe Weaks blog, The Macintosh Biblioblog, and a backup advice article was linked. How To Backup Your Mac Intelligently Don't forget preferences, settings, searches, notes, etc in your Accordance Folder. Maybe one of the OakTree support folks have a complete list and location of user files.

If you're asking in which preference file your Arrange Modules hierarchy is stored, it's:

~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/General

Sorry, J.P. but that is not correct. The arrangements for texts, tools, and user modules are now each stored in the settings for that type of file. I recommend backing up the entire ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences folder.

The Help files have details of all this. There are links from What's New in Version 7, and the details of files and what to back up are in the Setting Up section.

Sorry, J.P. but that is not correct. The arrangements for texts, tools, and user modules are now each stored in the settings for that type of file. I recommend backing up the entire ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences folder.

The Help files have details of all this. There are links from What's New in Version 7, and the details of files and what to back up are in the Setting Up section.

Now I'm confused -- I have been backing up the file in the Accordance application folder entitled "Accordance Preferences." Are you telling me that that file is not really the Preferences file? If not, what is it, and what is it doing in the Accordance folder?

And while I'm at it, what is the point of the 'Accordance Settings f' in the Accordance application folder. Some of the items appear to exist also in the Accordance preferences folder that can be found in the ~/library/preferences/Accordance folder.

And further, I have files called "Greek Roots" and "Greek Words" in the Accordance Application Folder, but there is also a Gloss folder inside the Accordance applications folder containing the files "Greek Roots," and "Greek Words," as well as "Hebrew Words" and Hebrew Roots." Why do I have two sets of the Greek Roots/Words files -- where should they be properly placed, and can I delete the extra set?

If you read the Help file I mentioned you will see why we are leaving copies of the old settings and new preferences in the Accordance folder, but the actual ones you are using on OS X are now in your user/Library. Note that the current Highlights, User Tools, and User Notes, are all in your user/Documents/Accordance files and should also be backed up.

As to the double copies of the words and roots files, Accordance moves newer versions into the Gloss folder, so these are probably versions with the same or older dates, which really should not have been installed by the program updater. We will check it out for next time.

Oops! My fault--when I was testing to see which preference files got modified after changing various things in the Arrange Modules and updating, it seemed to me that only General was modified, but apparently the other files' timestamps were slow to reflect their updated status.

Archived