Install Dilemma

Ron

Yes I'm back. This time I installed CJB [i think!] Now I can't find it. Where should it be?

How do I merge it with the other excellent references and bibles.

I wasn't certain whether to install Minimum or Standard level, so I tried both.

Seemed to work until I checked for the book.

Hi Ron...

Just to verify, CJB is a $35 unlock, installed from the Bible Reference CD-ROM, not the Library 6 CD-ROM (which it sounds like you were installing, based on your "Standard level" comment).

If you are sure you installed it with a code, you can verify that the three files CJB, CJB Glossary, and CJB Notes are in /Applications/Accordance folder/Modules/Texts/.

If they are there, but they are not appearing in your text menus in Accordance, you should be able to add them by double-clicking the files in the Finder, or you can add them from within Accordance by using Arrange Modules in the Edit menu. Either way, you will probably be prompted for a code(s).

Thank you for this response.

However I have nothing in the Applications folder and no icons appear in the Text folder.

On my second install attempt I was not prompted for a code but the message read: installation had finished.

I definately used the correct CD. If I try again what should I highlight when I am asked what unit to download?

Thanks again

Ron

Ron:

If you installed the CJB (checked it in the correct installer, and entered the code), but cannot see it, you may have two Accordance folders. Neither of them is necessarily in Applications since the default install is to the root level of the hard drive. If the installer does not ask for the code, it is finding the CJB on your hard drive.

I would first search the hard drive for Accordance and make sure that there is only one Accordance folder.

You say no icons appear in Texts? There must be icons there if you are seeing Bible texts in Accordance. When you go through the Add Modules dialog, any modules already added to Accordance are dimmed in OS X and absent in Classic, but any other way you look at that folder, you should see your texts. This is another reason I suspect you have ended up with two folders.

Please call the office for technical support if you cannot resolve the issue with this advice.

Helen:

When I said there were `no icons in Texts', I meant no CJB icons. The others are OK. I checked the HD and Applications and I only have one Accordance folder.

I'm going to attempt another install. Hopefully this will work,

Ron

Helen,

Voila!!!!

I had checked the wrong box for the install. All fine now.

What I was really looking for were notes or commentary which investigate Jewish or Hebrew insights on scriptures. Do you recommend any module for this specific purpose?

Ron

Ron:

Glad you found it in the end. Hope you don't mind me removing the quotes from your replies. I usually prefer to hit "Add Reply" which does not quote, as it keeps things more succinct.

I recommend the JNT Commentary which is a companion to the CJB. Also the Keil & Delitzsch Commentary of the OT, both on the same CD-ROM.

Hi. Just when I thought all was well I've messed up the install of the module CJB. I know it downloaded OK. I was prompted for the code and the install completed.

Now unless I have the CD in my drive Accordance can't find CJB.

I can go to the CD and open Accordance from the CJB icon but it will not operate any other way.

When I open the installed Accordance CJB appears in the Bibles list but when activated it opens a small window which asks: Where is the file for the CJB text?

In the centre of the screen Accordance Folder is highlighted in green. In the right window when I click open `Modules' CJB is not listed.

I initially tried to install CJB with the Add Modules method but I fear I have made a mess of this.

Ron

Try to copy the CJB from the CD to your Accordance folder, then point Accordance there next time it asks for it.

However, I suspect it will not copy because the CD may be faulty, and that may explain some of your problems.

What I was really looking for were notes or commentary which investigate Jewish or Hebrew insights on scriptures. Do you recommend any module for this specific purpose?

I assume you installed the Commentary on the Gospel from the Talmud and Hebraica in the Library Premier (which you mentioned you had in another thread)?

Accordance does have the Targums and Mishna, though they may not be quite what you're looking for.

In print, I recommend the recent Jewish Study Bible, Etz Hayim Torah commentary, and Miqra'ot Gedolot (on Exodus), all from the Jewish Publication Society. Perhaps someday OakTree can offer some of these resources!

Helen

Can I have a new CD please?

Ron

Try to copy the CJB from the CD to your Accordance folder, then point Accordance there next time it asks for it.

However, I suspect it will not copy because the CD may be faulty, and that may explain some of your problems.

Hi [Do I call you Mr Kang or JP?]

I so appreciated your comments.

I'll check out the Commentary on the Gospel' you mentioned and the others from the Jewish Publication Society.

I do a great deal of teaching and writing on the Hebrew Roots of the Bible and research is my greatest form of Bible Study.

Thank you

Ron

I assume you installed the Commentary on the Gospel from the Talmud and Hebraica in the Library Premier (which you mentioned you had in another thread)?

Accordance does have the Targums and Mishna, though they may not be quite what you're looking for.

In print, I recommend the recent Jewish Study Bible, Etz Hayim Torah commentary, and Miqra'ot Gedolot (on Exodus), all from the Jewish Publication Society. Perhaps someday OakTree can offer some of these resources!

Helen,

You're a genius! I simply dropped the CJB files into the Accordance folder and it worked.

Forget the request for another CD.

Thank you

Ron

JP

I could not find the Talmud-Hebraica Commentary you mentioned in my Tools.

I also tried to open `Fourfold Gospels' which is listed in the Tools file but Accordance could not find it.

Ron

Helen & JP

I'm getting quite befuddled now. I was merrily working with Accordance this morning but this afternoon `Gremlins!'

When I tried to use Tools from CD 2 [Library] I got the `where is it?' prompt.

I went back to the CD but all modules are now in light grey and downloaded [i guess!!!]

I'm determined to get the hang of this program but I followed the advice from JP and bought some hard copy books from JPS.

Ron

Helen & JP

`Hold the phone!' Ihighlighted `verse' instead of `words'. I'm guilty not Accordance.

I'm still looking for the Talmud-Hebraica Commentary but we'll get there. I'm glad you're there though.

Sorry

Ron

Helen,

I still cannot access some of my modules.

I do have Accordance files both on HD and Applications. My Mac Tech actually moved the files into Applications.

Now do I delete a folder. Or should I delete everything and redo instal?

When I attempt to open [say] `Sketches' I get sent to a file which as where is Sketches.

When I open the `tools' in the far right column the module is not there.

What's my next step?

Ron

Ron:

That is just what I suspected. The easiest fix may be to delete both Accordance folders and start the installation all over again! If you do not want to do that, you must:

First make sure which copy of Accordance you are actually running. If you launch it from the dock, use the pop-up menu there to "Show in Finder."

Then, having identified the Accordance folder in use, move each module one by one from the other (non-use) Accordance folder into the one in use. If you are asked to replace a module, replace only if the original is older. Once all modules are moved, check that you also have the newest version of Accordance in the in-use folder, if not, move it there. Then it should be safe to delete the non-use folder.

Then you may still need to point your modules to their new location.

Let this serve as a reminder to everyone: Accordance must stay in its folder. If you move the entire Accordance folder to Applications, make sure that another is not created on the hard drive (only really old installers will do that).

Ron: I repeat what I said before: please call the office for technical support (407) 339 0266, this thread is not of great interest to the public, and it looks like you need help to sort all this out.

Archived