Amplifying a Parallel Pane

Robb B

Is there a way to amplify a reference tool from a parallel pane directly from a search window to a separate tab without having the close the pane and click on the tool in the reference pallet? Obviously it's not difficult to close the pane and then click the resource pallet, but I was wondering if there was a quick shortcut directly from the pane itself. I looked in the help and couldn't find anything referencing this. Thanks!

Not clear what you are trying to "amplify." I suspect you mean an internal hyperlink within a tool, which when clicked uses the same pane or tab or window, such as an abbreviation, or a link like "see comment on Ex 20:5."

No there is no way to force these to open in another tab or window.

There is also no easy way to get the entire Search window back to where you were, once it jumps to the new location, since there is no prior button. You could either bookmark the verse you are in before clicking the link, or type its reference in the Go To box when you want to go back.

Helen,

Thanks for the quick response. It doesn't seem like I was very clear in my question. Here's what I mean. Suppose I have three panes open, one with the GNT-T, one with ESV, and one with Pillar NTC. Is there a shortcut to take the pane with PNTC and make it its own tab instead of a parallel pane? I remember reading before about users wanting a prior button in the search panes on the forums before, but thanks for clarifying that again.

Edited: Ouch, we may have pains but in windows we use panes.

Sorry, there is no way to turn a tool pane into its own window.

Hi Robb,

I don't think this directly addresses your issue, but it's worth remembering that any workspace tab can be "emancipated" into its own window, which may be sometimes better than having it open in another tab: ctrl-click the title of the tab and choose Detach tab, then resize the resulting window horizontally or vertically. On a small screen, this is probably less than ideal, but it may work well especially if you're working through a passage continuously in the commentary but need to jump around in the biblical text to check references in the commentary. Of course, there is no automatic synchronization between the commentary and the search tab text(s), unless you are OK with using a Context window to display the references in the reference tool.

You can, or course, "tie" the commentary window or tab to the Search window so that they scroll together.

Archived