Rotherham's Emphasized Bible

Scott Peterson

One of the most accurate English translations that I have encountered is Rotherham's Emphasized Bible (Kregel Publications). Joseph Bryant Rotherham was both a Hebrew and Greek scholar that faithfully "emphasized" the original meaning of the Old and New Testaments.

It would be wonderful to have the Emphasized Bible in Accordance, with the same emphatic marks that Rotheram used (e.g., |text within vertical lines shows strong emphasis|) as in the statement Jesus made in the Matthew 5:3:

||Happy|| the destitute |in spirit.|

(Where the primary emphasis is on "happy" and the secondary emphasis is on "in spirit.")

Also, Rotherham did a superb job of tranlating Hebrew and Greek words into English.

Any chance that the Emphasized Bible might become an Accordance module?

Also, Rotherham did a superb job of tranlating Hebrew and Greek words into English. 

Any chance that the Emphasized Bible might become an Accordance module?

Rotherham's is freely available on the 'other' platform. :huh:

• 10 years later...

Please consider adding this valuable resource to Accordance.  It is out of copyright and readily available on the Internet Archive.

• 4 weeks later...

Please consider adding this valuable resource to Accordance.  It is out of copyright and readily available on the Internet Archive.

I made a colossal error in judgment the other day when I decided to buy this book at Logos for $10.  I used to have a pretty fairly large original languages focused Logos library that I gave away at version 4 because of the extreme angst I suffered with Logos in general.  So, in my infinite wisdom, I decided that I just had to have the Emphasized Bible in electronic format and I decided to see how it went, along with Logos 6.  BAH!  ALL of Rotherham's notes at the bottoms of the pages are missing.  Rotherham used Ginsburg's notes from the Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible to mark up the emphasis and assist with the translation of the Old Testament portion of the Emphasized Bible and a whole lot of information that Rotherham had added was just flushed away by Logos.  What a shame.  Well, I can go delete Logos 6 and the whole whopping ONE book that I currently own of their offerings.  I guess that was a cheap lesson, but a lesson all the same.

This is just an FYI for those of you that may take the same mis-step that I did.

*EDIT* spelling boo-boo

Edited by Michael Miles

I guess that was a cheap lesson, but a lesson all the same.

You can return the book without any problems whatsoever within 30 day period after the purchase.

Rotherham's is freely available on the 'other' platform. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

I went to Olivetree and installed it, there version is text only with none of the mark ups.

-Dan

You can return the book without any problems whatsoever within 30 day period after the purchase.

In my ignorance of the Logos software, I have just now discovered that the footnotes do indeed exist, but they are included as a zillion popups. I do not believe that I can copy and paste these popup references, so I might just follow through on your tip.  Thank you.

I have a new project in BBEdit as of 5 minutes ago to see about at least getting the Genesis portion of this Bible into Accordance format.  I'm not sure how much time I can allocate to this.

In my ignorance of the Logos software, I have just now discovered that the footnotes do indeed exist, but they are included as a zillion popups. I do not believe that I can copy and paste these popup references, so I might just follow through on your tip.  Thank you.

I think if you click on the footnote (not just hover over it), a pop up window opens where you can select the text and copy it  ;)

I think if you click on the footnote (not just hover over it), a pop up window opens where you can select the text and copy it  ;)

You should work for Logos.  Thanks.

I have a definite problem with them because of all of the bugs in their software in the past.  Maybe I'll splurge and buy another $10 Logos book now.  :)

You should work for Logos.  Thanks.

I have a definite problem with them because of all of the bugs in their software in the past.  Maybe I'll splurge and buy another $10 Logos book now.  :)

You're probably on Mac I assume. I am on Windows and use Logos heavily for almost 2 years now - haven't experienced any bug. Accordance meanwhile had many bugs (one year heavy use). But now I think Accordance got better at Windows and Logos got better at Mac, so you should definitely give it a second chance :)

Edited by rokas

You're probably on Mac I assume. I am on Windows and use Logos heavily for almost 2 years now - haven't experienced any bug. Accordance meanwhile had many bugs (one year heavy use). But now I think Accordance got better at Windows and Logos got better at Mac, so you should definitely give it a second chance :)

Yep,  all Macs here now.  I even run BibleWorks 10 on my Macs.   :)

I just dropped $10 for the KJV and $10.95 on Ginsburg's work on the Song of Songs.  I hope that I don't blow out an artery dealing with these.  My experience with Logos was that bad.  My study partner uses it extensively and it would be nice to share things in a common format.

My patience is getting better, but not with Logos - yet.

I have a new project in BBEdit as of 5 minutes ago to see about at least getting the Genesis portion of this Bible into Accordance format.  I'm not sure how much time I can allocate to this.

I guess I can park BBEdit back in the garage for the time being.  Today has been an interesting day.

Yep,  all Macs here now.  I even run BibleWorks 10 on my Macs.   :)

I just dropped $10 for the KJV and $10.95 on Ginsburg's work on the Song of Songs.  I hope that I don't blow out an artery dealing with these.  My experience with Logos was that bad.  My study partner uses it extensively and it would be nice to share things in a common format.

My patience is getting better, but not with Logos - yet.

That says a lot! And I am happy having BW10 on Windows :)

I am not sure about your tolerance levels (i.e. before you judge something as "too buggy too use"), but I'd take a risk and say that you won't be disappointed - happy experience (hopefully)! :)

Edited by rokas

That says a lot! And I am happy having BW10 on Windows :)

I am not sure about your tolerance levels (i.e. before you judge something as "too buggy too use"), but I'd take a risk and say that you won't be disappointed - happy experience (hopefully)! :)

Thanks again.  I'll take it slow with the Logos.  Accordance is my tool of choice, currently.  BibleWorks has always been good to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'd still like to see this study reference available in Accordance.  I really, really tried to go with the L*g*s version, but I ended up getting a refund.

The Old Testament portion of this English language Bible was prepared using the notes from the Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible, and is actually a very valuable resource.  Probably more so than a lot of people would give it credit for with just a cursory investigation.

Oh, I ended up spending the refund on my L*g*s resources for products at Accordance.  The spiritual vibe that I get here is a zillion times better.

tl;dr - Still need the Emphasized Bible in Accordance.

Edited by Michael Miles
  • Like 1

I have a Rotherham Bible in a box somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and have another look at it.

Michael...

I would very much like a copy of Genesis when you finish. I was also considering doing the same thing. What copy did you start from?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Michael...

I would very much like a copy of Genesis when you finish. I was also considering doing the same thing. What copy did you start from?

Well, I did not get far with it at all, but since someone else was interested, I may take it up again.

While I'm at it, I may also look at the Hebrew text variants and the notes of Ginsburg's Massoretico-Critical edition of the Hebrew Bible and at least get his original notes into Accordance.  It would also be nice to translate those notes.  If you study the Hebrew while taking in the notes in Ginsburg's collation of the Massorah, the so-called Gap Theory looks to be a plainly evident truth.  Those disjunctive accents and the long run polysyndeton stand in complete contrast to Genesis 1:1.  This is where I am currently turning over rocks in my studies.

Let me go see about this...

I've gathered together some resources that may speed up the process of giving this a go, but I am wondering if the angled brackets/chevrons that Accordance uses internally on documents is going to conflict with the large quantity of these markings embedded in the text of the Emphasized Bible.  I'm not really of the mind to start substituting a different type of bracket and would rather prefer to be faithful to the printed version.

I'll try to give this a shot soon and see what happens.   :D

Well, I got my answer on the angle brackets.  They cannot be used inside a User Bible.

The exact error wording that I got back from Accordance was:

The HTML tag at the end of the text 

Genesis 1:1 <In the beginning>

is unknown or unsupported.

Edited by Michael Miles

As I'm somewhat reluctant to take NO for an answer, I have tried HTML entities for the left and right angled brackets as well.  They will actually allow me to import the text, but the entity is displayed as text and not parsed into it's HTML equivalent.  Maybe if the import routine in the Accordance Bible import code was modified so that instead of just looking for the angle brackets, it would look for allowable display modifiers encased in the angled brackets.  This way, we could use angle brackets in User Bibles.  Someone ought to suggest that.

Perhaps when Accordance allows the integration of PDF files we can take another look at the prospect of having the Emphasized Bible incorporated.

Hello Fabian,

My first guess is that might be some remnant left over from the XML formatting from that file you got from sourceforge.net.  That file looks to be the raw XML that the Crosswire Bible Society is using to generate their Rotherham's Emphasized Bible module.

This module includes none of the Emphasis formatting or any of the copious notes that are included in the print version.

It looks like you could fire up BBEdit and run a series of find and replaces and then save it as a plain text file and have the raw text of The Emphasized Bible in Accordance rather/somewhat easily.  But that would be minus a lot of the meat.

If the angled brackets were allowable in User Bibles and we could strive to make a fair reproduction of the work for Accordance, I'd be more apt to get fired up about it.

Cheers,

Michael

From the Crosswire Modul:

Module name: Rotherham

Description: The Emphasised Bible by J. B. Rotherham

Type: Biblical Texts

Language: en

Version: 1.7

Versification: KJV

About: 

The Bible text designated Rotherham is from The Emphasised Bible by J.B.  Rotherham, originally published by Samuel Bagster and Sons in 1902. The electronic text is by Larry Nelson, Box 2083, Rialto, CA 92376.

Comparisons made against printed edition at the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Rotherham%2C%20Joseph%20Bryant%2C%201828-1910%22

Maybe we have to knock on the door (P.O. Box) of Larry Nelson? But in this case you are definitely nearer.

Greetings

Fabian

If I remember right, Larry is in Rialto or Colton.  That's closer to me than to you, indeed.

I do not believe that he has the notes though.  If he did, I'm sure that they'd show up in my BibleTime installation that uses this Crosswire module.  There used to be an e-Sword module available, back in the last century or so.

:)