SBL Greek New Testament and Apparatus

williamsbry

Is there any thought of including the SBL GNT and Apparatus as a module in Accordance?

Logos has this available as a free and I would love it for Accordance. It would be phenomenal to have this available to compare with the NA/UBS text in my textual criticism classes.

Thanks.

• Like 1

There was discussion on this at the time but the interest seems to have died down. There were some practical hindrances to our obtaining it.

We have no plans to offer this edition, as we have several tagged editions of the GNT and several MSS transcriotions, also tagged. We also offer 4 critical apparatus modules: NA27, UBS4, CNTTS, and Tischendorf.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I would like to resurrect this thread and mention my interest in obtaining the SBL-GNT (edited by Bruce Metzger's final student Michael Holmes) for Accordance. There really are only three active Greek texts today, the other two being NA28/UBS5 and RP2005 (to be revised in 2015), both already available in Accordance.

Please others chime in if you're interested.

Jonathan — Has the UBS5 been published? I knew it was in the works but haven't seen it anywhere on the web yet.

Please others chime in if you're interested.

I seriously doubt it's going to happen.

Having said that, however, the text is freely distributable. You could create a user Bible edition of the SBLGNT and post it to the Accordance Exchange.

I think it would be a good idea for Accordance to put out a simple, non-tagged edition of the text (i.e. comparable to a user bible), for those who need to use the text in publishing, and can run it in parallel to other modules.

This would take barely any investment from Accordance, nor would it cannibalize the development of their tagged Greek texts.

It is hard to say what the use of the SBL text is getting, but I think it is low. The 'business model' of the text is a real obstacle for a for-profit software company.

The apparatus is of very limited value.

Hello Accordancers!

Thanks for the feedback.

This is a case where I wonder if individual users might be trained/authorized to create new modules (or, in this case, modify an existing one) for Accordance. The differences b/w the already tagged GNT-T and a possible GNT-SBL module are such that a computerized collation could assist with alerting the module-maker which already-tagged words of one text to alter in making the new text. If given the authorization and ability to do so, I (for lack of a better example) would be willing to donate my time freely to create the module. If for whatever reason SBL doesn't authorize the sale of their text (which would be odd, since the text could be free but the work behind a tagged text should still be marketable), then such would only add product value when a new or prospective buyer of the software sees that a scholarly tagged text is given away for free.

Would such take away from actual sales of the other tagged texts? I doubt it, but it might increase the number of buyers or those testing the software with the consideration of buying. The other modules already have appeal for the specific value they provide (GNT-T with syntax, NA-2? with apparatus or as the standard text, GNT-BYZ as a majority text alternative, etc.), none of which a user would get with a tagged SBL-GNT module.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

It doesn't seem like a plausible investment to tag the SBL-GNT. The differences between SBL-GNT should be easily spotted those who can read greek. As an electronic edition in Accordance, Joe has already mentioned that SBL-GNT could easily be imported into one's own Accordance as a User Bible. There are other worthy projects to invest time and energy.

I have created a User Bible of the SBLGNT but was unable to upload it to the Accordance Exchange. The upload form kept saying that I needed to fill out all required fields even though they were all filled.

Would it be possible to email it to some Accordance staff directly so they can upload it?

Thanks,

Bob

I have created a User Bible of the SBLGNT but was unable to upload it to the Accordance Exchange. The upload form kept saying that I needed to fill out all required fields even though they were all filled. ksimpson at accordancebible etc etc

Would it be possible to email it to some Accordance staff directly so they can upload it?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, you are welcome to email it to me. However, Logos has (or at least had) very specific terms for distribution. Can I ask what permission you have from Logos?

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ah, I understood the following paragraph from http://sblgnt.com/license/ to mean that it was OK for use in Accordance:

You may freely distribute the SBL Greek New Testament (SBLGNT), but you are not permitted to sell it on its own, either in print or electronic format.

But I realize that that may not be the case. Also, this paragraph makes it sound that if you distributed it you would be liable to report back to them the numbers downloaded:

If you give away the SBLGNT for use with a commercial product or sell a print or electronic work containing more than 500 verses from the SBLGNT, you must annually report the number of units sold, distributed, and/or downloaded to the Society of Biblical Literature’s Rights and Permissions Office.

So I'm unclear as to what are the legal boundaries here. It seems like I can import the module for my own use but shouldn't distribute it. Right?

That is exactly as we have read the terms. Which makes it onerous on us. You are very free to do it for personal use though. I myself did it a while ago, with a cobbled together apparatus, but we don't feel we can offer it on the exchange.

Hello Accordancers!

Thanks to Bob for trying to get the text onto the Exchange.

If the SBL GNT is not being sold on the exchange, it's unfortunate that the three or four ratatattats on the keyboard are seen as too burdensome to make the freely distributable text available to Accordance users. On the other hand, I can see how the precedent of keeping track of such things would be unattractive to the Exchange keepers.

The best thing (for us users) would be some agreement with SBL that eventually got us the fully tagged text that could be marketable and profitable to accordance.

Maybe SBL has a beef with Accordance for some reason?

Sincerely,

Jonathan

This text was produced together by SBL and Logos. We have no issues with SBL itself, but we cannot agree to provide sales information to Logos.

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the response. Would that things were different!

Sincerely,

Jonathan

What if Bob or some other private individual agrees to be the distributor? Once a year he could turn in the numbers to whoever at SBL is supposed to receive that information.

Information about the Accordance version of the SBLGNT availability could just be word of mouth. Because you know every few months someone is going to post a question here in the forums asking about the possibility of this text on Accordance. At that point, whoever answers the post first could point the requester to Bob.

Or if Bob doesn't want to do that, I'd be willing to--it doesn't seem like it would be that overwhelming.

Regardless, Bob, I'd at least like a copy for myself. Would you mind emailing it to me at RMansfield@mac.com? Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Years later...but also looking for it.