Questions from a new user

thechrisroberts

Howdy folks, just getting started with the app. A few questions:

1. Is there a way to turn pages with something like the page swipe feature of readers like iBooks and the Kindle app? Couldn't find a setting so I assume it's not possible. Any indication if this feature is planned for the future?
  2. Is there an easy way to navigate between resources? Say I'm reading a book and tap to amplify a passage, so it takes me from my book to my Bible. Is there an easy way to navigate back to the book without going to the Library Recents page?
  3. Had another question but it has escaped my feeble mind. Will have to come back and ask it later.
  4. Edit: Remembered it - is there a way to view the contents of footnotes, such as the various reference notes in a Bible text?

Chris,

I am not an expert, but let me answer at least a couple of your questions.

1. There is no way to "turn the page". Of course I have no idea if it is planned in the future or not :)

2. Yes. A two finger swipe from left to right will take you back to the previous screen.

3. Yes ... kinda. If you press and hold, a magnifying area appears. If you can highlight the note indicator, the contents of the note will appear in the Instant Details window.

Hope this helps and welcome to Accordance.

Howdy folks, just getting started with the app. A few questions:

1. Is there a way to turn pages with something like the page swipe feature of readers like iBooks and the Kindle app? Couldn't find a setting so I assume it's not possible. Any indication if this feature is planned for the future?
  2. Is there an easy way to navigate between resources? Say I'm reading a book and tap to amplify a passage, so it takes me from my book to my Bible. Is there an easy way to navigate back to the book without going to the Library Recents page?
  3. Had another question but it has escaped my feeble mind. Will have to come back and ask it later.
  4. Edit: Remembered it - is there a way to view the contents of footnotes, such as the various reference notes in a Bible text?

1. Not currently, though we're discussing this for a future update.

2. 2-finger swipe to the right to return to the previous resource. See also this

which will be featured in an upcoming 'iOS Quick Tip' email.

4. We're still perfecting this feature, but if you tap and hold to bring up the magnifying glass and drag around near a footnote you should see it selected and then release to display in Instant Details (currently works best in the ESVi). This works perfectly in a tool module (i.e. a book).

HTH…

Thanks for the responses, a follow-up question.

When reading a resource with Bible references, if I hover over the reference and amplify, it will take me to the text for that verse. How do I expand it to show the full context, rather than just the individual verse? So if I amplify 2 Thess 3:5 and it shows me that verse, how do I get it to display all the text so I can scroll around that chapter or book, rather than just the one verse?

When reading a resource with Bible references, if I hover over the reference and amplify, it will take me to the text for that verse. How do I expand it to show the full context, rather than just the individual verse? So if I amplify 2 Thess 3:5 and it shows me that verse, how do I get it to display all the text so I can scroll around that chapter or book, rather than just the one verse?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, after touching on the Scripture reference, simply hit 'amplify' and it was open up your top-level Bible to that verse in its full context. Here's an example from NICOT:

post-5629-0-16909100-1326899192_thumb.jpg

HTH…

You need to change the context of the search results. Tap on the search icon, tap on the "Options" button, change the "Context" setting to "All", and rerun the search. Your search results are then displayed in the full context of the text. A blue "mark" icon will appear on the right hand side of the text pane next to each verse that contains a search hit. Use the up/down arrows in the bottom toolbar to quickly jump between the marked verses.

If you always want your search and amplify actions to appear with full context, there is a global preference in the Settings view to set the default context for text search views.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

Archived