Acts 3:20 variant

Julia Falling

Thanks, Dr. Tucker. The two verbs may have a similar sound, but don't have the a similar meaning. At the same time, there is no big theological issue that hangs on one vs. the other. I'm debating whether or not to purchase CNTTS. As I said, I'm a student, not a scholar (and not a young one). I teach Sunday school. I don't, and never will, preach. However, I have audited Greek for the last 3-1/2 years (and done all the work) because I want to understand my Bible better, and because I want to be a better teacher. It's hard to decide where, financially, to draw the line to satisfy my desire for an explanation when differences like this arise.

Julia

Thanks, Dr. Tucker. The two verbs may have a similar sound, but don't have the a similar meaning. At the same time, there is no big theological issue that hangs on one vs. the other. I'm debating whether or not to purchase CNTTS. As I said, I'm a student, not a scholar (and not a young one). I teach Sunday school. I don't, and never will, preach. However, I have audited Greek for the last 3-1/2 years (and done all the work) because I want to understand my Bible better, and because I want to be a better teacher. It's hard to decide where, financially, to draw the line to satisfy my desire for an explanation when differences like this arise.

Julia

Indeed, this is a good case to demonstrate where a difference in sound also entails a difference in meaning. Most of the examples such as this don't create an ambiguity in the reading.

If you do decide to purchase the CNTTS, I think you can learn a great deal from the data. It's primarily a Textual Critical Tool, but often times textual criticism extends, or even relies upon, historical linguistics. Perhaps a family member could give it to you as a Christmas present. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Kudos on your teaching and greek endeavors!

Thanks for the encouragement. Greek has been a lot of work, but it has also been a lot of fun. I think having had Latin all those decades ago in high school helped. And I really think being older helped. The Greek has certainly given me insight into the NT I would not have gained any other way.

Archived