Hebrew Verbs

alyosha

I am learning Hebrew, and we have set texts. I would love to have a list of all of a particular type of verb in our set texts. The set texts is the easy part. But I want to know how to search for particular verbs, such as 1-yod, 1-nun, III-He, II-gutturals etc.

I-yod and I-nun seem okay - *? @ [VERB] <OR> *? @ [VERB]

but how would I do the other sort of verbs?

Secondly, how do I get a list of just the hits? and not the verse references, nor the verses themselves. I want such a list so that I can sit down and parse those verbs as they occur in the text, but it would take too much time to have to translate a whole verse.

The details window doesn't work because it just gives the root word. I want a list of all the hits as they occur in the text.

Does this make sense?

OK, you know how to set a range for your "set texts."

To find verbs with a particular form, you should use the individual wildcard with the qualifiers. For example,

• y?? @ [VERB] will find I-yod (or pe-yod)

• n?? @ [VERB] will find I-nun (or pe-nun)

• ??h @ [VERB] will find III-heh (or lamed-he)

• ??(ahwy)? @ [VERB] will find II-gutturals

You can also use

• ???(=2) @ [VERB] to find geminate verbs where ayin and lamed (II and III) are the same.

To see the list of words (inflected forms) in the Analysis details, select Set Analysis Display (Display menu) and change the settings.

I hope this is helpful.

Here's how I constructed the search:

http://www.accordancebible.com/blog/uploaded_images/HebSearch-759627.jpg

This should find all I-Nun and I-Yod verbs, followed by III-He, followed by II-gutturals. My Hebrew's a little rusty, so I wasn't sure whether to include He in the II-guttural search, but you can modify it as needed.

As for getting a list of the "Hits" rather than the "root word," the Details window is exactly what you need. You just need to customize things a bit.

Once you've performed the Search, click the Details button and look at the Analysis tab. By default, this gives the list of lexical forms which were found. You want the "hits as they occur in the text," by which I understand you to mean the actual inflected forms that were found. To change the display of the Analysis tab, select "Set Analysis Display..." from the Display menu, or use the keyboard shortcut command-T.

In the dialog box that appears, you'll see a series of columns. Drag the INFLECT item from the palette to the left of those columns into the leftmost column. Place it just below the LEX item which already appears in this column. Now click OK.

This will give you a listing of every lexical form that was found, followed by the various inflections of that word as it appears in the text. If you open the Set Analysis Display dialog again and drag the INFLECT item above the LEX item in the first column, you'll get a listing of each inflected form, beneath which will appear that word's lexical form. Or, if you like, you can remove the LEX item completely so that you just see the inflected forms. If you want each inflected form to be parsed for you, drag the TAG item beneath the INFLECT item.

As you can see, Accordance gives you a lot of flexibility when it comes to how you display the Analysis of your search results.

Hope this helps.

David and Helen:

When you revise the grammatical supplement, I would encourage you to include this information, perhaps as an example in the Hebrew section. I think this kind of search would be very helpful for both students and teachers of Biblical Hebrew.

Blessings,

Lorinda

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, this is very helpful.

One additional question. I have the search results displayed in the Analysis tab of the Details window configured the way I want. The only thing that i would like to change is the order that the verbs are presented. Is there any way to have them display in the order as they occur in the text range? I only see alphabetical or count (count up or count down) options.

Thanks, Karyn

I would use the Parsing window for that, set it to parse only the hit words, and then select all the text and reuse the same parsing window.

Another helpful tip - this is such a great forum! and program!

My additional question is how to get the whole verb in the parsing list? As accordance sees prefixes and suffixes as separate words, how to I get them to come up in the analysis or parsing lists, so that I can see something is waw-consecutive or has a pronominal suffix on it?

Thanks

Archived