#63) User Notes

Timothy Jenney

[basic] User Notes allow us to add our own notes and commentary to any Bible or text in Accordance. This podcast demonstrates how to add and edit a User Note, plus how to make a custom User Notes file of our own! It also includes tips on opening and searching User Notes in several different ways.

Enjoy! :D

[basic] User Notes allow us to add our own notes and commentary to any Bible or text in Accordance. This podcast demonstrates how to add and edit a User Note, plus how to make a custom User Notes file of our own! It also includes tips on opening and searching User Notes in several different ways.

Good podcast, Tim (as always).

However, we have to break you from pronouncing OS X as OS ecks instead of OS ten. Makes you sound like a Windows user: "Yeah, I bet he uses OS ecks on his Apple."

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Good podcast, Tim (as always).

However, we have to break you from pronouncing OS X as OS ecks instead of OS ten. Makes you sound like a Windows user: "Yeah, I bet he uses OS ecks on his Apple."

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

[Chuckle]

Rick, would you believe I thought about that when I was podcasting? Midway through the voiceover I started wondering, "What is the correct way to pronounce that abbreviation?"

Then I decided, "Who cares? "Oh-ess-ex" just sounds so cool! ;-)

So glad to have you as a viewer. Will I see you at SBL this year?

Will I see you at SBL this year?

Yes, I'll see you there!

• 2 months later...

Enjoy! :D

Hi Dr. J

Hey, perhaps you can clear some things about user notes up for me. Perhaps I overlooked it in your podcast, or haven't go to it yet, but I don't see User Notes working as per help file found at:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/content/topics/05_dd/add_new_note.htm

It states: If you have created more than one User Notes file, the last accessed User Notes file opens in the Edit window.

That just doesn't seem to work for me. Also when I have my courser in a text on a verse and hit Command U, I don't get the choice of which user note to place the note it. It always defaults to my default User Note file.

The "Hint" on that help page does work though:

Hint

If you created more than one User Notes file, select a word or two in the verse to which you want to add the note, then choose the desired file via My Notes on the Resource palette (). The User Notes file opens in an Edit window.

Thanks.

There is a tick box for 'Reopen last notes file' under user notes in Accordance Preferences. Theoretically if this is ticked it will open the last one used. If you want to be able to select the one you want then you need to uncheck it.

I must admit that in the past it has not always consistently done what I have expected. Note that if you are already editing a user notes file and it is 'hidden' behind other windows it will automatically continue editing that one even if it then displays a new verse.

There is a tick box for 'Reopen last notes file' under user notes in Accordance Preferences. Theoretically if this is ticked it will open the last one used. If you want to be able to select the one you want then you need to uncheck it.

I must admit that in the past it has not always consistently done what I have expected. Note that if you are already editing a user notes file and it is 'hidden' behind other windows it will automatically continue editing that one even if it then displays a new verse.

Well, it's all pretty confusing and it has been for me anyway, all along. I think I use to understand it, but I forgot as I haven't really been using Accordance for a while. In the first part of Tim's podcast, he shows that when you press "Command U" that a selection dialog opens up asking which notes file you want to use to enter your note. In the 2nd half of his podcast, he selects "Command U" and doesn't get the dialog box asking which note file to use, it automatically opens to a preselected (or default) note file (I guess that was his default note file) and he doesn't offer any explanation as to why the "Command U" action now act differently. So, Dr. J, if you could, would you please provide some explanation on why the "Command U" acts differently in your podcast? Thanks!

P.S. I've tried to change my default note file to a different file (Sample Notes) instead of "My Notes" but "Sample Notes" still doesn't open when I use the "Command U", my original default note file (My Notes) opens. I've even exited the Accordance application and re-opened it, and it still opens my original note file versus the new default file I had changed it to prior to closing the application.

This really shouldn't be this hard to understand.... Should it?

Well, it's all pretty confusing and it has been for me anyway, all along. I think I use to understand it, but I forgot as I haven't really been using Accordance for a while. In the first part of Tim's podcast, he shows that when you press "Command U" that a selection dialog opens up asking which notes file you want to use to enter your note. In the 2nd half of his podcast, he selects "Command U" and doesn't get the dialog box asking which note file to use, it automatically opens to a preselected (or default) note file (I guess that was his default note file) and he doesn't offer any explanation as to why the "Command U" action now act differently. So, Dr. J, if you could, would you please provide some explanation on why the "Command U" acts differently in your podcast? Thanks!

P.S. I've tried to change my default note file to a different file (Sample Notes) instead of "My Notes" but "Sample Notes" still doesn't open when I use the "Command U", my original default note file (My Notes) opens. I've even exited the Accordance application and re-opened it, and it still opens my original note file versus the new default file I had changed it to prior to closing the application.

This really shouldn't be this hard to understand.... Should it?

Hi, Ron!

Let me do some [re]checking here. I'll get back to you.

Ron,

I usually have my Accordance preferences for User Notes Tabs set so that it does not open the last note chosen (see tiff). When I type Cmd-U, I get a choice of several different User Notes to edit (see .png). This is the setting I prefer, as I can easily add text to any of my User Notes.

When I DO check that box, I only get a choice the first time. After that, the same note pops up each time. If I want to add text to a different User Note, I open it manually, then start typing in it.

It's been awhile, but I think I actually had the box checked for the podcast. [i'll usually try to select the settings that are easiest for the viewer to understand (not necessarily my preferred ones).] What you saw was the initial selection of a user note after the preference box was checked, then the subsequent opening of that same user note (which was now automatic).

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this explanation helps. If it doesn't, let me know!

User Notes Tabs.tiff

post-29215-004305800 1322602756_thumb.png

Ron,

I usually have my Accordance preferences for User Notes Tabs set so that it does not open the last note chosen (see tiff). When I type Cmd-U, I get a choice of several different User Notes to edit (see .png). This is the setting I prefer, as I can easily add text to any of my User Notes.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this explanation helps. If it doesn't, let me know!

Okay thanks, that's how I thought it was suppose to work.

So my point then I guess is, mine doesn't work that way. When I hit "Command U" I don't get a dialog box asking me which user note file I want to use for my note. It always just opens my default note file "My Notes"

Again, I have the preferences set up as you suggest, the box labeled "Reopen last notes file selected in Dialog" is NOT selected and I never get the dialog when hitting "Command U".

Any ideas? Thanks!

Bump. So does this work right for everyone but me?

Bump. So does this work right for everyone but me?

My ⌘ + U works as expected, with the caveat that I've made in the Accordance>Preferences. Do you have the User Note set to Reopen to last note file?

If so, change the selection to as I have it below:

Hi James

I do NOT have a check mark by the preference selection "Reopen last notes file selected in dialog box" but It still will NOT give me the dialog box when I do a "command U" asking which notes file I want to use (I have 3 note files) I even closed Accordance and reopened it after making the selection as you prescribed, but still no joy.

I would like for it to give me a choice. Actually, I would like for it to work like the way it's advertised to work. Sometimes I would like to have a choice, but other times I may want it to automatically open the same note file every time.

Thanks for the reply. I did set my preferences up just like you showed me in the image, but it still doesn't work as advertised. Normally though, I don't want to be able to have my nots file open in more than one instance.

Oh yes, btw, I double checked on my other computer (MBP) and it doesn't work as advertised either, so it's not just a problem with one of my computers. There must be something other bug, or setting in conflict somewhere.

Ron, do you have one user note file open in your workspace? I suspect what is happening is that Accordance is assuming you want to edit the one that you have open, and so is not giving you the choice to edit any others. Try opening a User Notes window with the another note file and you should see the dialog when you choose Edit User Note.

Ron,

I wonder if we can check really quickly if you do indeed have a conflict between your preferences. Here is a quick way to check. Close Accordance and then,

1. Open a finder window
  2. Key in ⌘⇧G.
  3. Enter "~/Library/Preferences/
  4. You will see a folder entitled "Accordance Preferences".
  5. Rename this folder to something like "Accordance Preferences.mine"

Restart Accordance. Accordance will rebuild this file with defaults. Then construct two note files, and see if the functionality returns. If so, then we can deduce something in your previous system prefs is causing the strange behavior.

Ron, do you have one user note file open in your workspace? I suspect what is happening is that Accordance is assuming you want to edit the one that you have open, and so is not giving you the choice to edit any others. Try opening a User Notes window with the another note file and you should see the dialog when you choose Edit User Note.

Hi David, thanks for your suggestion. To answer your question, yes, I do have another user note file window open in my workspace, and in a different workspace also although it's not open in an editing window, just viewing window or tab. However, that shouldn't prevent the dialog box to open when I do a "Command U" asking what note file I want to use.

However, your questions caused me to do some additional investigating and I believe I have isolated the cause of the problem.

I thought for what ever reason, I would change my default user note file setting in User Notes preference to a different note file. I have 3 user notes files (at least I do when I look into my User/Accordance Files/User Notes folder via Finder). When I went to change the default file, it only showed that I have one user note file: MY NOTES . So this wold explain why the dialog box wasn't showing up, because according to Accordance, I have no other note files, not any more anyway!

So I resolved my problem by double clicking my other note files from within Finder, and those note files opened up in Accordance. Now everything seems to being working as advertised, until the next time accordance decides not to look at my other user note files again.

Now that I think about it, I believe I just read in another thread somewhere that this is a known problem with this last update 9.5.1. My goodness, what other problems has the last update caused that are causing us users wasted time trying to troubleshoot? Don't take that question personally David, I'm not directing it to you.

Does anyone know, is there a thread specifically stating what known problems exist with 9.5.1 so I can read it and not waste any more of my time trying to figure out known issues?

Hi David, thanks for your suggestion. To answer your question, yes, I do have another user note file window open in my workspace, and in a different workspace also although it's not open in an editing window, just viewing window or tab. However, that shouldn't prevent the dialog box to open when I do a "Command U" asking what note file I want to use.

However, your questions caused me to do some additional investigating and I believe I have isolated the cause of the problem.

I thought for what ever reason, I would change my default user note file setting in User Notes preference to a different note file. I have 3 user notes files (at least I do when I look into my User/Accordance Files/User Notes folder via Finder). When I went to change the default file, it only showed that I have one user note file: MY NOTES . So this wold explain why the dialog box wasn't showing up, because according to Accordance, I have no other note files, not any more anyway!

So I resolved my problem by double clicking my other note files from within Finder, and those note files opened up in Accordance. Now everything seems to being working as advertised, until the next time accordance decides not to look at my other user note files again.

Now that I think about it, I believe I just read in another thread somewhere that this is a known problem with this last update 9.5.1. My goodness, what other problems has the last update caused that are causing us users wasted time trying to troubleshoot? Don't take that question personally David, I'm not directing it to you.

Does anyone know, is there a thread specifically stating what known problems exist with 9.5.1 so I can read it and not waste any more of my time trying to figure out known issues?

Ron,

I believe the Library window will always show what user notes files you have installed and are available to Accordance. This will be more reliable than what you see in some arbitrary folder in the Finder.

HTH,

Scott.

What? Maybe you need to read my post again! Accordance stopped recognizing my existing note files, that's what was causing my problems in the first place.

Ron: I sense your frustration, and am sorry for all the confusion. I will be very happy to screenshare via Skype or iChat and walk through the different steps. However, I think you have identified the problem, that two of your Notes files were dropped from the Library. This has not been reported elsewhere, and I cannot explain it, but I am glad you fixed it.

To clarify: the only known issue for User Notes/Tools in 9.5.1 is the inability to create a new file within Accordance, and this has been fixed for 9.5.2.

....This has not been reported elsewhere, and I cannot explain it, but I am glad you fixed it.

To clarify: the only known issue for User Notes/Tools in 9.5.1 is the inability to create a new file within Accordance, and this has been fixed for 9.5.2.

Okay... I suppose this post was the post that I was reading where you were talking about other known bugs to be fixed any day now. I just created 2 new user note files without any problem. I'm not talking about the 2 note files I "revived" but 2 completely NEW note files.

Where can I find a list of these known issues that are being fixed for the next update? Im not asking for a list of any other know bugs just dealing with user notes, but with any other area also.

Thanks.

We do not keep a list of known issues, we fix them as almost fast as they come in.

Ron: I sense your frustration, and am sorry for all the confusion. I will be very happy to screenshare via Skype or iChat and walk through the different steps. However, I think you have identified the problem, that two of your Notes files were dropped from the Library. This has not been reported elsewhere, and I cannot explain it, but I am glad you fixed it.

So here we go again. I upgraded to Accordance 9.5.2 Pre-Release this evening, and the first problem I start having is I don't get the dialog box asking me which user note file I want to use to add a note to. It simply opens the note file titled "My Notes" when I hit "Command U". I double checked and I do not have "My Notes" open in the edit mode in any other window. I haven't changed my user notes preference, I only have "Use Default Fonts in font Menu" selected and I do still have 3 note files showing up in my preference window (see attached screen shot). I close Accordance and open it up a couple different times, but that doesn't fix the problem. Finally, I close Accordance, open finder and double clicked on a different user note file in my Accordance document folder. Now I can once again get the dialog box to open asking which user note file I want to use to add a new note.

I find it difficult to believe that I'm the only Accordance user in the world that keeps having this issue.

post-30338-055056300 1323482362_thumb.png

So here we go again. I upgraded to Accordance 9.5.2 Pre-Release this evening, and the first problem I start having is I don't get the dialog box asking me which user note file I want to use to add a note to. It simply opens the note file titled "My Notes" when I hit "Command U". I double checked and I do not have "My Notes" open in the edit mode in any other window. I haven't changed my user notes preference, I only have "Use Default Fonts in font Menu" selected and I do still have 3 note files showing up in my preference window (see attached screen shot). I close Accordance and open it up a couple different times, but that doesn't fix the problem. Finally, I close Accordance, open finder and double clicked on a different user note file in my Accordance document folder. Now I can once again get the dialog box to open asking which user note file I want to use to add a new note.

I find it difficult to believe that I'm the only Accordance user in the world that keeps having this issue.

Weird. I updated to the pre-release as well, and it works as described. I press Command-u and I get the pop-up asking me which file I want to use.

Archived