9.4 User Tool Scripture Links

Brent Lawrence

I recently started the 90 Day Bible Reading Challenge and decided to create a User Tool so if I was away from my Kindle App, I could open it up in Accordance. I created it under 9.3.3 and all the Scripture links seemed to work just fine. However, after upgrading to 9.4 and Lion yesterday, I just tried clicking the link that should have pulled up the text from Lamentations 2:1 - Ezekiel 12:20. However, when I clicked the link, the Scripture that appeared on screen only took me through to the end of Lamentations and not into Ezekiel. In fact, I noticed that when I hovered the mouse over the link, the instant details box showed the link as Lamentations 2:1-12:20, completely ignoring the name Ezekiel.

I then took the link out of the tool, saved it, then updated the link again thinking that maybe this would fix the issue. It didn't. I then decided to make a test user tool (not imported or copied from anywhere) and then just entered the reference there, but it seemed to completely ignore Ezekiel and "think" that it was Lamentations 2:1-12:20.

I clicked some other links in the user tool I originally made and wherever there is a link crossing from one book of the Bible to another, it no longer takes me to the entire portion of Scripture I want on the screen.

Is this a bug? Any suggestions?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hi, Brett!

I am not sure what sort of verse limit the programmers placed on Instant Details, but I don't think it will display everything in your link. I am running 9.4 under Snow Leopard. I made a link in a User Note, Lam 1-Ezek 1:3, only a part of which displayed in Instant Details (Lam 1:1-8). However, when I clicked on the link, the entire passage opened correctly in a new zone.

Don't know if this will help you troubleshoot your issue under Lion, but hope it helps.

It's not Lion specific, as Accordance 9.4 does the same thing for me in Snow Leopard. And it is restricted to User Tools; User Notes do work correctly.

So I would presume it is a bug. For the time being, the work around is to write out your link as follows:

Lamentations 2:1-5:22; Ezekiel 1:1-12:20

This will actually create 2 links in the User Tool, but if you command-click on the first link, both links will open together in one tab.

Lorinda

Dr. J,

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't actually overly concerned about what was displayed in the Instant Details box. My concern was for the fact that when I clicked the link within the User Tool to open a text pane in a new zone, the expected text to be displayed should have carried across from one book to the next (as in the Lamentations to Ezekiel example). I merely pointed out what the instant details box showed for the reference as support for the fact that the User Tool links aren't being handled correctly, or at least as I thought they should.

Hopefully the screenshot will give you an idea of what I mean.

The link I clicked was the reference going from Lamentations to Ezekiel. The results in the zone on the right only brought me to the end of Lamentations. The instant details box incorrectly shows a reference that ignores the Book of Ezekiel resulting in a non-existent reference being created like Lamentations 2:1-12:20.

Lorinda - Thanks also for your reply. You are correct. Formatting the references the way you suggested would be a work around. I'm glad you were able to confirm it. It does seem to be a bug.

post-235-047222100 1311383969_thumb.png

For what its worth, I cannot get this to work on any of the older versions of Accordance. 9.3.3 also does not cross books with User Tool Scripture Links, neither does 9.1.1, nor the current 9.4. Are you sure it worked in 9.3.3? Regardless, we will take a look, especially as the user notes links work.

Archived