Root and Lemma search in Hebrew and Greek

Nielsen

Hello,

I am a Logos 4 user. I have never used Accordance, although I have seen some video tutorial about Accordance and I have heard good thing about the program. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have two Bible Softwares. My questions is about Hebrew and Greek root search in Accordance. Is it possible?

Logos 4 can do only Lemma search. Many users are asking for this feature on Logos 4 and I was wondering if there is any Bible Software that offers this feature. I work mostly with the Hebrew text, but for a sound research such features should be available at least to Hebrew and Greek.

I thank in advance for any help.

Blessings,

Yes, Accordance is able to conduct root and lemma searches. As is usually the case with Accordance, you can go about this task in a variety of ways. The easiest is simply to control+click on a Greek or Hebrew word in a tagged text and select Search For: Lemma (or Root or Inflected) from the contextual menu. Accordance will run the search, and you'll instantly have the results (Accordance is very fast).

Alternatively, a root search just includes a + symbol before the root and can be done directly from any normal search entry. Comparatively, a lemma search is just done without the + symbol.

Hello,

I am a Logos 4 user. I have never used Accordance, although I have seen some video tutorial about Accordance and I have heard good thing about the program. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have two Bible Softwares. My questions is about Hebrew and Greek root search in Accordance. Is it possible?

Logos 4 can do only Lemma search. Many users are asking for this feature on Logos 4 and I was wondering if there is any Bible Software that offers this feature. I work mostly with the Hebrew text, but for a sound research such features should be available at least to Hebrew and Greek.

I thank in advance for any help.

Blessings,

I'd like to add how to do a root search using the construct window (since that's my favorite method for all searches). The screenshot below shows how easy it is.

The search shows a simple ROOT search (see the ROOT item on the menu to the far right -- simply drag it into the first column (Hebrew order: 1st = rightmost) and then a menu pops up with a list of all roots in the Hebrew Bible. Choose your root and hit the search button. I chose KHN to illustrate how such a search can illustrate how the agentive noun/Qal participle form "priest" is the only one that occurs in that stem, while all the verbal uses, "to act as a priest," are in the Piel.

The search took a bare second.

post-29948-040396200 1303759058_thumb.png

I'd like to add how to do a root search using the construct window (since that's my favorite method for all searches). The screenshot below shows how easy it is.

The search shows a simple ROOT search (see the ROOT item on the menu to the far right -- simply drag it into the first column (Hebrew order: 1st = rightmost) and then a menu pops up with a list of all roots in the Hebrew Bible. Choose your root and hit the search button. I chose KHN to illustrate how such a search can illustrate how the agentive noun/Qal participle form "priest" is the only one that occurs in that stem, while all the verbal uses, "to act as a priest," are in the Piel.

The search took a bare second.

post-29948-040396200 1303759058_thumb.png

First of all, thank you all who replied to this post, for the information.

Dear Robert. Let me take the actual search that I was trying to perform and clarify that it is really possible:

See that in Gen 37:9 we have the verb HLM (Qal, wayyiqtol), and the noun HALOM. So, it would be possible then to do a root search and have the two words retrieved in the search, right?

If so, then we go to the next step. I would like to do a syntax search where the predicate has the same root of the object of the clause (searching for cognates). Can we do it with Accordance?

Dear Robert. Let me take the actual search that I was trying to perform and clarify that it is really possible:

See that in Gen 37:9 we have the verb HLM (Qal, wayyiqtol), and the noun HALOM. So, it would be possible then to do a root search and have the two words retrieved in the search, right?

If so, then we go to the next step. I would like to do a syntax search where the predicate has the same root of the object of the clause (searching for cognates). Can we do it with Accordance?

Yes see this thread:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6047

David beat me to it -- yes, this is an easy search in Accordance.

Below is the specific construct set-up for your request, using Genesis. Note that it shouldn't matter which column you add the actual ROOT to, since AGREE=ROOT will force the identity in both columns. Also note that "search both directions" is checked, since otherwise the results will catch only the order you've built the syntax search in, and this would exclude the final hit, in which the complement precedes the verb.

post-29948-014399400 1303771452_thumb.png

David beat me to it -- yes, this is an easy search in Accordance.

Below is the specific construct set-up for your request, using Genesis. Note that it shouldn't matter which column you add the actual ROOT to, since AGREE=ROOT will force the identity in both columns. Also note that "search both directions" is checked, since otherwise the results will catch only the order you've built the syntax search in, and this would exclude the final hit, in which the complement precedes the verb.

post-29948-014399400 1303771452_thumb.png

Thank you David and Robert.

That is awesome. It is good to know that there is a Bible Software for that. So, the solution to my problems are only limited to some 300 bucks. Since I use Bible Software searching for a sound theology, the prosperity theology is not an option for this matter. :)

Blessings to you all,

Thank you David and Robert.

That is awesome. It is good to know that there is a Bible Software for that. So, the solution to my problems are only limited to some 300 bucks. Since I use Bible Software searching for a sound theology, the prosperity theology is not an option for this matter. :)

Blessings to you all,

Actually, a bit less. You can purchase the Scholar's Introductory Level for $149 (10% less if you're a minister or full time student). This includes tagged copies of the Nestle-Aland 27th edition of the Greek New Testament (GNT) and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS). With this modest investment, you'll be able to perform morphological searches to your heart's content.

If you want the ability to run syntactical searches, you'll need to add the syntax add-ons for either or both the GNT ($50) and the BHS ($60). Again, if you're a minister or full time student, you can receive a 10% discount on these prices.

That's a grand total of $259 ($233 if you're eligible for the discount). And during the month of April, you can receive 25% off two products. If you apply this discount to the Scholar's Introductory Level and the BHS Syntax add-on, your total drops to just $207.

Actually, a bit less. You can purchase the Scholar's Introductory Level for $149 (10% less if you're a minister or full time student). This includes tagged copies of the Nestle-Aland 27th edition of the Greek New Testament (GNT) and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS). With this modest investment, you'll be able to perform morphological searches to your heart's content.

If you want the ability to run syntactical searches, you'll need to add the syntax add-ons for either or both the GNT ($50) and the BHS ($60). Again, if you're a minister or full time student, you can receive a 10% discount on these prices.

That's a grand total of $259 ($233 if you're eligible for the discount). And during the month of April, you can receive 25% off two products. If you apply this discount to the Scholar's Introductory Level and the BHS Syntax add-on, your total drops to just $207.

Sean,

Thank you very much for these information.

I will certainly consider acquiring Accordance. The price with discount is really good. By the way, I am a minister and a full time student. Could I get a 20% discount? :) Just kidding!!!

I would like not to buy another Bible Software because I already have Logos 4. It is a very good program, and I have been able to do good researches with the syntax search the way it is now on Logos, but I am limited just to 'lemma' search sometimes. Many users are asking for 'root' tagging in original languages resources and apparently Logos is working on that. But, as for as I can see, it will take quite a while to be running on Logos 4. Because of that, maybe using buying Accordance will be a good investment.

Just one more question: What about Accordance on PC? I saw that there is an emulator for that. Does it work fine? Does the program have the same capabilities and performance? Does any one have answer to that? I thank in advance for any information.

Finally, Sean, I saw that you have a website/blog where you evaluate Bible Softwares. Thats is great. I have bookmarked your site. Apparently you are in the beginning of this project right? I look forward for your reviews.

Blessings,

If you decide to purchase Accordance, I think you'll be quite pleased. As for its performance on a PC using the provided emulator, most of Accordance's functionality is preserved and performance is, generally, pretty good (at least that's what others have said; I've not used Accordance on a PC via the emulator).

As for my website, www.bibsoft.org., yes, it's in the beginning stages. While I've already written a fairly in-depth review of Accordance (available on my site and the Accordance site), I've not yet been able to complete the Logos and BibleWorks reviews. I'm in the middle of finishing up a graduate degree, and my time has been at a premium. You should note, however, some more activity on my site beginning in a couple months (once my wife and I move, the baby is born, and we settle into my new pastoral position).

If you want to take advantage of the special 25% discount on two items, you'll need to make your purchase this week. The 25% discount expires at the end of April.

All the best!

• 9 years later...

Hi there. I am trying to perform two types of searches in Peshitta NT and need help.

1. I want to get the complete list of all the words in Peshitta NT in the sequence of their occurrences (most to least). is it possible to do it through the search engine?
  2. Is it possible to give a root word and find all the words (verb, noun, adjective, adverb, etc.) that are formed from that root? E.g., all the words that have the root "to say": saying, speech, speaker, etc. 

Thanks in advance!

1. To make a list of all the words in any text, search the Words for * to find every word or every lexical form. To fond all the inflected forms, search for '*'. Then select Analysis from the Analytics button menu. You can sort the list by frequency or any other parameter available in Set Analytics display. Analytics is only available in the full Accordance, not the Lite of phone apps.

2. Accordance has added the root forms for Hebrew and Greek but not for Syriac. Therefore you either need to specify all the forms you want, or use character wildcards to define the words containing the root letters.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. When doing root searches in Greek that are compound roots, is there a way to limit the search only to words that have all the root elements? Using the root search, it brings up all the words that have any part of the root which is usually not what I am looking for. I hope this makes sense. Thanks again for your help.

11 hours ago, yannick said:

Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. When doing root searches in Greek that are compound roots, is there a way to limit the search only to words that have all the root elements? Using the root search, it brings up all the words that have any part of the root which is usually not what I am looking for. I hope this makes sense. Thanks again for your help.

You can apply multiple roots as predicates to the same word using "@". For example:

+ἐπί@+ἀνά@+ἔρχομαι

will find Lk 10:5 and 19:15 only. Of course, the fewer roots you include the more hits you may need to weed you but this may help you depending upon the exact roots you are using.

Thx

D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 11:14 PM, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Thank you so much!!

You can apply multiple roots as predicates to the same word using "@". For example:

+ἐπί@+ἀνά@+ἔρχομαι

will find Lk 10:5 and 19:15 only. Of course, the fewer roots you include the more hits you may need to weed you but this may help you depending upon the exact roots you are using.

Thx

D