Easy Install Error

soojin

I have not been able to install any of my modules on iOS Accordance. Whenever I try to use Easy Install, I will always end up see a "Easy Install Error - There was an error encountered" screen after a couple of seconds. Please advise.

Have you confirmed that your name and password are entered correctly in Settings -> Accordance Account?

Have you confirmed that your name and password are entered correctly in Settings -> Accordance Account?

Yes, I would think so. My previously purchased modules do show up under the Easy Install list.

Couple of questions:

Are you running 1.0.2?

Does the error occur immediately after starting the downloads or sometime after?

Are you choosing a large number of downloads or just one or two at a time?

Are you downloading over WiFi or the cellular network?

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

• 1 month later...

I'm having on issue with BHS with Westminster Morphology on iPad 2. Everything else has downloaded, even the massive PhotoGuide 3, although a few modules reported easy install error. But they resolved after a few tries. But I just cannot get BHS to download. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm having on issue with BHS with Westminster Morphology on iPad 2. Everything else has downloaded, even the massive PhotoGuide 3, although a few modules reported easy install error. But they resolved after a few tries. But I just cannot get BHS to download. Any suggestions? Thanks.

How does it fail? Do you get an Easy Install error alert? Does it look like it downloads but when the list refreshes it's still in the list? Is it missing from the Easy Install list but doesn't show up in your library view?

I just deleted it and installed it via Easy Install on an iPad so I don't think it's a server issue.

Scott

How does it fail? Do you get an Easy Install error alert? Does it look like it downloads but when the list refreshes it's still in the list? Is it missing from the Easy Install list but doesn't show up in your library view?

I just deleted it and installed it via Easy Install on an iPad so I don't think it's a server issue.

Scott

Once I begin the download, a notification window pops up:

Easy Install Error

There was a problem with the

connection to the servers. Please try

again later.

Once I dismiss the dialogue and refresh the easy install panel, BHS with Westminster Hebrew Morphology still shows up. And, as mentioned before, everything else has downloaded successfully. Thanks.

Update: after many unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue, I deleted Accordance, rebooted iPad, reinstalled Accordance, then downloaded all the modules again, including BHS-W4 which installed successfully this time. One of those things, I guess.

I was seeing the same error over the weekend when I would attempt to download BHS-W4. After much reluctance, I decided to go ahead and reinstall Accordance iOS from scratch. After removing and reinstalling Accordance, I was able to get BHS-W4 to install. But now I'm having the same problem with installing other large modules such as Basic Group 8 and Accordance Gallery of Bible Art.

So I decided to remove Accordance one more time and start over again. After reinstalling (by downloading directly from Apple), I attempted to install Basic Group on Primary 8 before I installed anything else. It's still failing with that same error:

Easy Install Error

There was a problem with the

connection to the servers. Please try

again later.

I hate to say it, but I've now gone a bit past "this is getting old" with Accordance iOS. It has tremendous promise, but having to spend hours downloading and reorganizing every time something goes a little sideways (like buying another module) just has me wondering, "Why bother?"

I'm using an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.6 (Verizon) with 32GB of storage. Downloads are via WiFi connected to a very fast internet connection. (speedtest.net says my download speed is around 20Mbps.)

More Information:

My initial attempts to install Basic Group which I referred to in my last message usually took a significant amount of time before producing the error. However, in the last couple of days, it started returning the error message in less than 10 seconds.

Since this is what Accordance 9.2.1 was doing on my desktop, I decided to try an experiment. I turned off WiFi on my iPhone 4 to force it to use Verizon's cell network. In three attempts, this is what I got:

1st Attempt: Took a very long time (more than 10 minutes? I didn't actually time it). Accordance eventually returned to the list without noting any errors. However, Basic Group 8 was still showing up in the list.

2nd Attempt: This time I received the server error message after a shorter period of time than the 1st Attempt took. It took a while, but wasn't right away as before.

3rd Attempt: It tried for an even shorter time than Attempt 2, then returned to the list without an error. Again, Basic Group 8 is still on the list.

This suggested to me that Accordance managed to download part of Basic Group 8. So I tracked down the list of what modules are in that group and compared them to what's now on my iPhone. All of the modules from that group are now on my iPhone except "Names".

4th Attempt: (Made just a moment ago.) Accordance very quickly returned the "connection to the servers" error, just as it had been doing before.

This calls for more testing and closer observation on my part.

Ed,

Thank you for this detailed feedback. As was posted in another topic on the forum, we are trying to track down the errors that are causing the downloading problems. From the iOS perspective the code is a "black box" that I use. Since we are seeing similar issues on the desktop which uses the same code I'm hopeful that we will be able to track it down.

The (eventual) good news is that desktop syncing (which is programmed and being tested internally) will definitely be in the next dot releases of Accordance for iOS and Mac.

Scott.

To followup. I looked into the issue with the Basic 8 group reappearing in the Easy Install section. This is happening because this group includes a User Tool named Bird's Eye Workbook. Because we are not yet supporting User Tools in Accordance for iOS, this module never gets installed. So when Easy Install is run and compares the list of installed content against what you have rights to, it's sees this module as missing and adds the Basic 8 group to the Easy Install list. Over and over and over again.

Support for User Tools will be coming sooner rather than later (but not in the next release). Until that happens, there is no workaround for you to keep it from appearing in the Easy Install list. And by the way, the "Names" module is not in the Basic 8 download group so this is not your issue.

Scott.

Support for User Tools will be coming sooner rather than later (but not in the next release).

:D This makes me very happy, as I do a lot with User Tools.

Lorinda

To followup. I looked into the issue with the Basic 8 group reappearing in the Easy Install section. This is happening because this group includes a User Tool named Bird's Eye Workbook.

Support for User Tools will be coming sooner rather than later (but not in the next release). Until that happens, there is no workaround for you to keep it from appearing in the Easy Install list. And by the way, the "Names" module is not in the Basic 8 download group so this is not your issue.

I don't think this is correct. Here's why:

First, I got the list of modules in Basic Group 8 from here. Names is one of the modules on that list, though it doesn't appear on the Basic Group 9 list.

Second, Names was installed by one of the other groups. (Sorry, I'm not sure which one.) Once that was installed, Basic Group 8 did stop appearing in the Downloads list.

Thank you for this detailed feedback. As was posted in another topic on the forum, we are trying to track down the errors that are causing the downloading problems. From the iOS perspective the code is a "black box" that I use. Since we are seeing similar issues on the desktop which uses the same code I'm hopeful that we will be able to track it down.

The (eventual) good news is that desktop syncing (which is programmed and being tested internally) will definitely be in the next dot releases of Accordance for iOS and Mac.

Thanks Scott. I'm definitely looking forward to the desktop synching. I've been praying that it goes smoothly. :)

I suspected that the Easy Install problems on both platforms might be related. Thanks for confirming that. So I did more testing hoping to be able to give you more info to help track it down. Here's what I found:

I started from scratch again, then ran the following Easy Install attempts. Each attempt was to download the Basic Group on Primary 8 modules.

On WiFi:

Attempt 1: Worked for 22 minutes. Resulted in a server error. No modules installed.

Attempt 2: Received a server error in about 4 seconds. No modules installed.

Attempt 3: Same as Attempt 2.

On Verizon 3G:

Attempt 1: Worked for 32 minutes. There was no error. All modules (except Names) were installed.

Attempt 2: Received a server error in about 2 seconds. Nothing further installed. (See my note about the Names module which I discovered after this testing.)

Attempt 3: Worked for 22 minutes. No error. Nothing further installed.

I also ran into two "Hmm, that's interesting" occurrences after I had done this testing.

First, I had tried downloading Holman Bible Commentary and Holman Charts at the same time (using Verizon 3G). It worked for quite a while, then produced a server error. I did two more attempts to download both, and both resulted in an almost instant server error. Then I tried downloading each one at a time. In both cases, Accordance returned to the download list within about 10 seconds, having installed the module. It seems as if the data was actually downloaded, but the process just couldn't complete.

Second, the upgrade list showed that Holman Illustrated Dictionary 1.2 was installed, and 1.3 is available. (Makes me wonder why 1.3 wasn't installed in the first place.) My first attempt to download the update worked for a long time, then ended in a server error (slightly different text). Subsequent attempts produced the error right away. So I tried removing the Holman Dictionary and reinstalling it. However, every attempt to download it now leads to a crash.

That's it. Hopefully these details will help you track down what's going on.

I don't think this is correct. Here's why:

First, I got the list of modules in Basic Group 8 from here. Names is one of the modules on that list, though it doesn't appear on the Basic Group 9 list.

Second, Names was installed by one of the other groups. (Sorry, I'm not sure which one.) Once that was installed, Basic Group 8 did stop appearing in the Downloads list.

Ed,

Couple of issues here.

It looks like Names is supposed to be in the Basic-8 group based on your link. The archive file downloaded, however, is missing this module. So on Accordance for Mac, this group would continue to show up in the Easy Install list until one of the other groups or collections which does contain it gets downloaded and installed. At that point it would not show up in the list on Accordance for Mac.

On Accordance for iOS, even if you get the Names module installed from another group, the fact that the user tool included does not get installed means that the Basic-8 group installation will always be incomplete. But it appears that Easy Install doesn't consider the absence of the "Bird's Eye Workbook" user tool as enough to mark the installation of the group as incomplete. (This is true for both Accordance for Mac and Accordance for iOS). So once the Names module gets installed, the Basic-8 group should no longer show up in the Accordance for iOS list either.

We'll look into these issues.

Scott.

I also ran into two "Hmm, that's interesting" occurrences after I had done this testing.

First, I had tried downloading Holman Bible Commentary and Holman Charts at the same time (using Verizon 3G). It worked for quite a while, then produced a server error. I did two more attempts to download both, and both resulted in an almost instant server error. Then I tried downloading each one at a time. In both cases, Accordance returned to the download list within about 10 seconds, having installed the module. It seems as if the data was actually downloaded, but the process just couldn't complete.

Second, the upgrade list showed that Holman Illustrated Dictionary 1.2 was installed, and 1.3 is available. (Makes me wonder why 1.3 wasn't installed in the first place.) My first attempt to download the update worked for a long time, then ended in a server error (slightly different text). Subsequent attempts produced the error right away. So I tried removing the Holman Dictionary and reinstalling it. However, every attempt to download it now leads to a crash.

That's it. Hopefully these details will help you track down what's going on.

My understanding is that one of benefits of changing Easy Install to do FTP downloads instead of HTTP downloads (which happened in the Mac 9.2 and iOS 1.1 releases) was the ability to resume an interrupted download. So the ability to eventually finish the installs above might be the result of this change.

I don't have any idea why 1.2 was downloaded instead of 1.3 unless the "packaged" archive still contains the older version.

Scott.

Archived