New International Greek Testament Commentary (NIGTC)

Helen Brown

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

Generally volumes in the NIGTC series deal well with the Greek versions (the commentaries are written in English) of the various books of the New Testament. I have found the volumes on Luke (I. Howard Marshall), Mark (R. T. France), 1 Corinthians (Anthony Thiselton), and Colossians & Philemon (James D. G. Dunn) to be very helpful. I use the commentaries for both personal study and for sermon preparation.

• 2 weeks later...

This series is my first choice for anybody who has to study the Greek New Testament. The commentators usually grapple with the subtleties of the Greek syntax, as they rarely do in other series.

• Like 1

Thisselton on 1Cor and Nolland on Mat are always my first choice for this books. Thisselton addresses any question you may have and Nolland is concise and always insightful.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

I have not used this commentary, but I am interested in how useful it might be to someone that does not know Greek. I have read reviews that suggest the NIGTC would not suit the needs of a person such as myself, but as I glance through some of the few pages available on print sales websites, it looks very interesting. I would appreciate any comments or help. Thank you.

I have not used this commentary, but I am interested in how useful it might be to someone that does not know Greek. I have read reviews that suggest the NIGTC would not suit the needs of a person such as myself, but as I glance through some of the few pages available on print sales websites, it looks very interesting. I would appreciate any comments or help. Thank you.

This commentary series is one of the very finest available for the NT. In fact, it is usually my first choice, but it does assume the reader reads Greek. That means it does not always include an English translation for a Greek word or phrase. However, there's plenty here for the person who does not know Greek, provided you are willing to "read around" or simply skip the material you don't understand. That's not something many people are comfortable with

This commentary series is one of the very finest available for the NT. In fact, it is usually my first choice, but it does assume the reader reads Greek. That means it does not always include an English translation for a Greek word or phrase. However, there's plenty here for the person who does not know Greek, provided you are willing to "read around" or simply skip the material you don't understand. That's not something many people are comfortable with

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I visited this thread. For non-Greek readers, NIGTC can be very helpful. Usually the discussion makes clear what the Greek says. Also of course, with Accordance, you can triple click a Greek word and have an explanation immediately in BDAG or one of the other Greek tools.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For a seminary course we were assigned R.T. France's Mark commentary in the NIGTC series--I actually read it page-for-page, and it was phenomenal. His love for Mark as Scripture and thorough scholarship made for an exhilarating combination. I can't recommend it highly enough. The Hebrews volume in the same series is also good.

And to agree with Fr. Rich+ above, non-Greek readers could still benefit immensely from this series. Both in print and in software it's pricey, but at least for the volumes I've used, well worth what they cost.

EDIT: Just saw another post saying these threads are not really used. I put above comments on the product page.

Edited by AbramKJ