Crash

A. Smith

After easy installing many modules, the app crashed and will not open. I restarted the phone to no avail.

So what happens when you try to reopen the app? It just shows the splashscreen then quits? If you double-tap the home button (displaying the open applications), if you tap and hold on the Accordance tap in there you can quit it by tapping the red Stop button. Does that fix the startup?

When trying to start the app, as you said only the splash screen displayed. When accessing recent apps, it didn't show. Actually, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. So far, so good on the installs. Although I have had to select a dozen modules, they would download and the app would quit. I reopen and 3-4 of the modules will be downloaded. I repeat this a few times and now I'm nearly done installing all the modules I need. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

OK, It's going well. However, I've notices that when trying to download one of the parallels (epistles, gospels, etc) or the syntax module (all of which are listed as 0.1mb, which is very odd), the app crashes. It reopens fine, but it seems that trying to dl those modules is causing a problem. I remember reading something about how the parallel modules were not going to be available for the first version of the ios app. Maybe this is the problem?

OK, It's going well. However, I've notices that when trying to download one of the parallels (epistles, gospels, etc) or the syntax module (all of which are listed as 0.1mb, which is very odd), the app crashes. It reopens fine, but it seems that trying to dl those modules is causing a problem. I remember reading something about how the parallel modules were not going to be available for the first version of the ios app. Maybe this is the problem?

Parallels and syntax are not currently supported in version 1.0 but downloading them should not crash the application. If I had to guess it's the parallels module that is causing the issue. If you skip those.type of modules do you still get a crash?

Scott

Byskipping parallels and syntax there are no problems.

I am having this same problem on the iPad. The only way I've found to so far is to delete the app and re-install to get Accordance to start up again. Went through that painstaking cycle twice already in the last few hours. Unfortunately, as this deletes any previously successfully downloaded modules and I have to re-start the whole module install process.

Now that I know it is the parallels causing this, I will avoid that to see how it goes. For a while I suspected the atlas because that had also not successfully downloaded for me so far.

Just for information and feedback, after the failed download and before the fatal crash, under the Text category, there appeared a blank line and a line of garbled text, presumably the parallel modules.

The first time, I tried to open those modules to see what happens, that crashed the app and could never re-start.

The second time, I immediately deleted those 2 modules, the app continued working but once exited, it would never re-start.

I'm about to delete and re-install the app the 3rd time now ... :(

But these teething problems were expected and I'm looking forward to my mobile Accordance :)

I am having this same problem on the iPad. The only way I've found to so far is to delete the app and re-install to get Accordance to start up again. Went through that painstaking cycle twice already in the last few hours. Unfortunately, as this deletes any previously successfully downloaded modules and I have to re-start the whole module install process.

Now that I know it is the parallels causing this, I will avoid that to see how it goes. For a while I suspected the atlas because that had also not successfully downloaded for me so far.

Just for information and feedback, after the failed download and before the fatal crash, under the Text category, there appeared a blank line and a line of garbled text, presumably the parallel modules.

The first time, I tried to open those modules to see what happens, that crashed the app and could never re-start.

The second time, I immediately deleted those 2 modules, the app continued working but once exited, it would never re-start.

I'm about to delete and re-install the app the 3rd time now ... :(

But these teething problems were expected and I'm looking forward to my mobile Accordance :)

If you see garbled text in the Library view, one trick to clear it is to enter "Edit" mode by tapping on the edit button in the upper bar of the view, rearrange the module just above the garbled text (by dragging the three line icon at the end of the row) up one row, hit the "Done" button and then close the Library view. The next time you open the Library view the garbled text rows should be gone.

Scott

If you see garbled text in the Library view, one trick to clear it is to enter "Edit" mode by tapping on the edit button in the upper bar of the view, rearrange the module just above the garbled text (by dragging the three line icon at the end of the row) up one row, hit the "Done" button and then close the Library view. The next time you open the Library view the garbled text rows should be gone.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I'm looking forward to smooth installs and hoping I won't ever have to use this trick :) But it's good to be aware. Cheers and thanks for all the hard work :)

Thanks Scott. I'm looking forward to smooth installs and hoping I won't ever have to use this trick :) But it's good to be aware. Cheers and thanks for all the hard work :)

I'm looking forward to smooth installs too! :)

Scott

I am experiencing the same crash on ipad. I just deleted and re-installed and starting to download modules again.

I avoided downloading Parallels and everything has been going fine since then except for a few bugs within the program itself. I'll post those in another thread.

Don't know if it is related or not but thought I'd throw it out there.

Same for me, too. Staying clear of Parallels and so far so good. I am having trouble with the biggest modules though, specifically PhotoGuide and ZIBBCOT which are both 500+MB. It tries for a long time then goes back to Easy Install list without completing download or install of those modules. But this is probably a topic for another thread. Just want to say that I'm pleased that the 3rd time is working well. This is an exciting day!

Sadly, after a whole day of re-installing, I tried the atlas modules again and got those garbled lines on the Library list.

Scott's suggested trick didn't work. Now Accordance won't start again past the splash page.

Any way to avoid deleting the app and spending the next 4 hours installing every again for the fourth time? :(

Please do not attempt to download the Atlas, Timeline, Syntax, or Parallel modules.

That is the trick indeed. No problems once I skipped those modules. Thanks.

I am very frustrated. I downloaded the app at about 6 pm last night and I've spent until 8 pm tonight downloading, crashing, deleting downloading, crashing, deleting -- you get the idea.

I basically haven't been able to use my iPad all day because it has been downloading my Acc library time and time and time again.

So, after 4 reloads, I'm still at this: tap icon - splash screen - back to home. I haven't downloaded any of the quarantined files (Atlas, Timeline, Syntax, or Parallel modules) and yet no go.

I'll come back for a later version - I've wasted enough time on version 1.0.

If there is any more info I can give that might help you debug I'd be glad to help.

I am very frustrated. I downloaded the app at about 6 pm last night and I've spent until 8 pm tonight downloading, crashing, deleting downloading, crashing, deleting -- you get the idea.

I basically haven't been able to use my iPad all day because it has been downloading my Acc library time and time and time again.

So, after 4 reloads, I'm still at this: tap icon - splash screen - back to home. I haven't downloaded any of the quarantined files (Atlas, Timeline, Syntax, or Parallel modules) and yet no go.

I'll come back for a later version - I've wasted enough time on version 1.0.

If there is any more info I can give that might help you debug I'd be glad to help.

Sorry about your problems. Have you been careful to avoid the module types which are currently not supported by the iOS app? If so, have you tried downloading modules a couple at a time? Could you list what modules you are trying to download?

Scott

Have you been careful to avoid the module types which are currently not supported by the iOS app?

Which modules are not currently supported? I didn't read about anything. And if they are not supported, are they even listed in the options for download. That would be pretty odd.

I've joined the club of folks who have downloaded most of their Accordance 9 library files and finally had the IOS application become unstable and no longer progress beyond the startup screen before crashing.

I'll be deleting it soon and trying again but I think I'll wait a few days for the dust to clear and also because I don't have a WiFi connection at home (I still worry about ultimate security with home WiFi) so I drive to the local library or a favorite restaurant who both have very fast WiFi- but unfortunately they are closed after 9 or 11PM when I expect your computer servers may be a little bit more available than during the day.

I'd appreciate some suggestions about which files I should first start to download. My first go round included several attempts to download Atlas files and a whole bunch of what appeared to be components of the atlas but would never actually download. I wound up with one "book" or whatever that was blank and that I finally deleted and then I changed the fonts from Helvetica 19 to Georgia 21 point, and then the next time I tried to reopen Accordance IOS I only could get the splash screen and a fast quit.

Should the various Library levels that I see as potential downloads be done first before any individual bibles or would this result in double downloads? Perhaps I should skip the Library files entirely at this time. I guess I don't have parallels in my account but I'll stay clear of any files that I can't easily identify. Do any of the "Library" downloads include any of these verboten files?

We probably will all have more appreciation for the difficulty of porting over a product that was designed for the Mac OS on a standard computer to a handheld IOS device. It's just great to have the potential to have my whole library sometime available in a tiny notebook. A few more months wait is not the end of the world for me.

Avoiding parallels, atlas, syntax and timeline seems to do the trick. I didn't want to start over, but it really did work for me.

Other than avoiding those, I would advise you to just download a few modules at a time. Depending on your library, this could be a little tedious, but it gets the job done. ;)

Other than avoiding those, I would advise you to just download a few modules at a time. Depending on your library, this could be a little tedious, but it gets the job done. ;)

As soon as I began downloading one module at a time I have not experienced any complete crashes to where the app could not be opened again. My attempts to download more than one module at a time have failed. You may want to go to one at a time.

Still do avoid the above mentioned modules, though.

Please do not attempt to download the Atlas, Timeline, Syntax, or Parallel modules.

Why do you list those modules in the Easy Install in the first place? Please list only those modules which are safe to install. Otherwise I'll have to search these forums all over about every module, is it safe to install

Archived