Accordance in the Trash?

David Lang

I ran into this problem a couple of times at the seminar in Dallas on Monday. People who upgraded to Accordance 9 would try to launch Accordance using the Accordance icon in their dock and get the message that Accordance could not open because it is in the trash. While I imagine the programmers will have a fix for this soon, the solution I found was as follows:

1. Remove the Accordance icon from the dock.

2. Open your Applications folder and find the Accordance 9 icon.

3. Drag it to the dock to create a new dock icon.

I found that worked every time. It looks like it's just an issue of the existing dock icon pointing to Accordance 8 rather than Accordance 9.

Hope this helps.

This was actually a little intentional, though it can be tweaked. It was not feasible for the installer to find and remove an old Accordance app from the dock, or repoint it to a totally new program. The fundamental problem is that people upgrading to 9 got a different app in a different place, rather than replacing the old existing app. So, we had a lot of users still clicking on their Accordance 8 in the dock and complaining that 9 looked no different! It got even worse when they'd, after running 9, still click and try to run their version 8 after 9 had migrated.

The solution was to remind users multiple times to open Accordance 9 in the installer, and once 9 has migrated, move the 8 app to the trash, the one place where it would prevent them from launching. So, David, your solution is exactly what people should be doing if they keep Accordance in the dock.

If there is any way to replace the user's Accordance 8 icon in the dock with the one for version 9, it would be very helpful. Two users in my office upgraded today, and both kept using version 8 after the installation, since that was the version in their dock. If they're typical of most users, they never read any of the messages during the installation process.

If I am not mistaken, after I upgraded the same thing happened and I merely dragged the dock icon (Accordance 8) into the trash and then went into "applications" and dragged that icon (Accordance 9) onto the dock and it worked! I'm older now and my memory fails often but I think that is what I did.

Archived