Instant Details in a Zone

Thomas Brooks

I would really like to have the ability to put the instant details into a zone. I do not care for the floating window, so it would be nice to have the option to have it either in a fixed zone or as the traditional floating window. Thank you.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you tried the "Set to automatically fade" option, and have it appear and fade over the workspace as needed?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you tried the "Set to automatically fade" option, and have it appear and fade over the workspace as needed?

Yes, I have done that, but thank you. I don't prefer that option either. I would just like to have it in a fixed box that doesn't overlap other items.

I think this raises the issue of floating pallets in general. I can't think of any major Mac application that still uses them (with the exception of Accordance, obviously). The Inspector has replaced floating pallets, or things have become part of fixed window UI elements. I would like to see all the floating pallets removed and replaced with integrated window UI elements and an Inspector window.

You all will be glad to know that the palettes are the next major interface element we'll be working on. You should be able to expect significant changes to the palettes in a future update to Accordance 9.

That said, I find the allegation that other programs don't use floating palettes somewhat strange when the Inspector is, in fact, one large floating palette. One which, by the way, is not designed to be tucked neatly over to the side and left open. Then there's the Fonts palette, the Color palette, and more. All of those palettes are large and awkward to leave open. So you use them and then close them. That doesn't mean you're not using palettes, you're just not leaving them open all the time (and adding more steps to your workflow in the process).

In all of these cases, floating palettes are used to present tools which act on the front window when multiple windows may be present. After all, if you place all of those tools in the document window itself, they'll all be duplicated multiple times when multiple windows are open. With the zones we're moving more toward a single window framework, but since it is still possible to open multiple workspaces in Accordance, incorporating the palettes into the Workspace window is not necessarily desirable.

We're working on streamlining the palettes and making better use of screen space, but don't be surprised if palettes remain in some form or other.

David,

That is good news! The inspector has basically taken the place of multiple pallets. While some programs do use the font/color pallets, those are also being replaced either by the inspector, a text editing toolbar integrated into the window, or both. I think they are there as a power option for people who need to access fonts more often than the average task requires or who are looking for a very specific shade of color. Other pallets have been replaced by HUDs (Heads-up Displays). Pages presents a good example because it is normal to have multiple document windows open simultaneously. You are exactly right that the tools are duplicated in each window, but that is not necessarily undesirable, and I would say is actually better for two reasons. One, when you click an item in the toolbar, you know exactly which window is going to be affected. Two, you can hide the toolbars in windows where you do not want to see them using the hide/show button in the upper right of the window.

In relation to Accordance, if the resource pallet became a toolbar integrated into a window, you would be able to control very easily which workspace the resource opens in and where it creates a new zone. You could hide it in workspaces where you did not want it to display. You could even add a preference option so the user can decide to show or hide the toolbar/resource bar when a new workspace is created. Such a resource toolbar could also be used to create a more seamless workspace window appearance as it could integrate with the title bar nicely.

Just some thoughts on how I think an already insanely great app could be insanelier greater.

Yes, the Inspector is one big floating palette, but it's one that integrates multiple functions without having to have multiple palette windows open.

If the Resource Palette were integrated into the top of every workspace window, if it was in the user's way, he or she could click the toolbar control button on the top right to hide it. Then, it won't matter if multiple copies of them are open if multiple workspaces are in use. I usually have a dozen Word documents open when I'm grading papers, but the fact that each window has a toolbar is not an issue.

As I look at the top of this box in which I'm writing this message, there's a formatting toolbar that allows me to control style, typeface, size, and color.

Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 2.16.39 PM.png

Why couldn't this be integrated (albeit perhaps a bit more compact) in every user tool or note edit window rather than having to rely on a separate palette? Note that it even has the ability to add indents and bullets. That would be quite nice in Accordance! ;)

For whatever it's worth, I am in agreement with those looking for better use of the Floating Pallets.

I have two different Monitors, one at the office, one at home, for my 13" alum. Macbook .

It is just too much trouble trying to move everything around for the different monitors, thus, I just do without some of the functionality of Accordance rather than use up time moving it around.

If one could incorporate them into the workspaces as some have suggested, it would be wonderful.

Blessings all,

rusty+

This post was originally about Instant Details. Resource palettes let you choose commands to be performed. This is not true for Instant Details. It is different. It only provides information to the user. The only way a user interacts with it is to copy information.

No matter where I put it, it seems to be in the way. It pops up all the time when I'm just moving my mouse or moving my mouse out the way to read something.

I would like to option to have it pop up when I want it to pop up by hovering or clicking. I would like for it to pop up right next to where my mouse is, not 12 inches away. I would like for it to disappear the instant I move my mouse, not 3 seconds later. And I would like for it to dynamically resize depending on the content.

Too much to ask?

Dan,

One of the main features of instant details I like is that it does NOT popup right next to my mouse when I hover over an item. I would be extremely disappointed if Accordance began to behave like Logos in this respect. I do not want the instant details information covering up what I am reading and blocking the context. From my perspective, this would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

Dan,

One of the main features of instant details I like is that it does NOT popup right next to my mouse when I hover over an item. I would be extremely disappointed if Accordance began to behave like Logos in this respect. I do not want the instant details information covering up what I am reading and blocking the context. From my perspective, this would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

If you make it pop up only when you want to read it then you will not be reading something else since it will only pop up when you choose to read the instant details box instead of something else. Right now Instant Details does the opposite and does exactly what you don't want it to do, i.e. it pops up and covers what I am reading and blocks my content. From my perspective, this is already a huge annoyance and inconvenience.

I'm a huge fan of the, "instant fade" option suggested above. The automatic fade function is great, and granted 3 seconds isn't long at all, but as soon as I'm off the word I would prefer the box to be gone. If I need to resize the box or anything similar, holding shift seems more than sufficient to be able to access and edit the box. There does not need to be a delay from my perspective.

If you make it pop up only when you want to read it then you will not be reading something else since it will only pop up when you choose to read the instant details box instead of something else. Right now Instant Details does the opposite and does exactly what you don't want it to do, i.e. it pops up and covers what I am reading and blocks my content. From my perspective, this is already a huge annoyance and inconvenience.

I am almost always looking at both the instant details and the original text at the same time. Footnotes are a great example of this, as are lexical entries. If the instant details box covers the text, then you have to close it to see the text again, which is not very helpful. In your case, you should set it to fade and move it so that it's not covering your workspace or so that it only covers the very bottom or top portion. Maybe you could post a screenshot of your current set up so we could try to find a better arrangement for your workspace and pallets.

Dan,

Just in case this might be of some help, here is one of the setups I use with Accordance. Notice the instant details in the lower right under the Library Window. I find that a particularly good location and helpful use of screen space.

post-413-128534764906_thumb.png

Dan,

Just in case this might be of some help, here is one of the setups I use with Accordance. Notice the instant details in the lower right under the Library Window. I find that a particularly good location and helpful use of screen space.

You obviously have a much larger screen than I do. I don't keep any palettes open. I don't want to give up any space for the Instant Details either. I think you miss one of my main points in that I only want the Instant Details to open when i choose to open it. Right now it pops open when I just move my mouse across the screen. So, when I move my mouse out of the way of what I'm reading it causes the Instant Details to pop up -- so I'm always having to move my mouse again to some place where it won't cause Instant Details to open, then find where I was reading again. Where it pops up is less important than when it pops up. However, having it pop up where I'm already looking when (and only when) I want it to would be an advancement also.

You obviously have a much larger screen than I do. I don't keep any palettes open. I don't want to give up any space for the Instant Details either. I think you miss one of my main points in that I only want the Instant Details to open when i choose to open it. Right now it pops open when I just move my mouse across the screen. So, when I move my mouse out of the way of what I'm reading it causes the Instant Details to pop up -- so I'm always having to move my mouse again to some place where it won't cause Instant Details to open, then find where I was reading again. Where it pops up is less important than when it pops up. However, having it pop up where I'm already looking when (and only when) I want it to would be an advancement also.

Have you tried using keyboard shortcut command-option-3 to hide/show the instant details box? Turn the auto-fade off in preferences, position the instant details box where it won't be in the way when you open it, and when you want to see it, type cmd-opt-3. When you want to hide it, cmd-opt-3. It will only appear when you use that keyboard shortcut.

I'm a huge fan of the, "instant fade" option suggested above. The automatic fade function is great, and granted 3 seconds isn't long at all, but as soon as I'm off the word I would prefer the box to be gone. If I need to resize the box or anything similar, holding shift seems more than sufficient to be able to access and edit the box. There does not need to be a delay from my perspective.

I'll second this one.

Instantly pops up and should instantly disappear.

The fade is cool eye candy, but I find that before the box is gone I have the pointer hovering over it waiting to get to the info behind it.

I'll second this one.

Instantly pops up and should instantly disappear.

The fade is cool eye candy, but I find that before the box is gone I have the pointer hovering over it waiting to get to the info behind it.

Agreed. I have no problem with the current instant details setup. I use the fade option excusively and have it positioned over my library window. The instant fade/disappear option would be a huge benefit. I often find myself wandering around the screen with my mouse trying to find a spot that is "free" in order to access my library. Instantly disappearing would at least reduce that wasted time.

Tom Wagler

Archived