iPad Question

David Garrison

Much to my wife's chagrin, I am seriously considering purchasing an iPad next year (waiting for the next version that will hopefully come with cameras). One of my hopes is to us the iPad to teach, and possibly preach, from. I have used the Keynote Remote app with my iPod Touch to remotely control a Keynote presentation on my mac, but found the small screen to be unhelpful.

I'm wondering if anyone has an iPad and has used the Keynote Remote app with it to control a Keynote presentation on a mac. I've done internet searches on the issue, but only found requests for the Keynote Remote app to control Keynote for iPad.

I'm also curious what experiences others have had in teaching from an iPad.

Yes! I just taught an entire Old Testament Survey like this over the summer. I ran Keynote from my MacBook Pro and I controlled it completely from my iPad using Apple's Keynote remote app. It gave me complete access to presentation notes (something not available yet in the iPad's version of Keynote). Even with extensive notes, I could simply swipe to scroll them up. It's really a great solution. But I wish Apple would make the remote app native to the iPad's resolution.

Yes! I just taught an entire Old Testament Survey like this over the summer. I ran Keynote from my MacBook Pro and I controlled it completely from my iPad using Apple Keynote remote app. It gave me complete access to presentation notes (something not available yet in the iPad's version of Keynote). Even with extensive notes, I could simply swipe to scroll them up. It's really a great solution. But I wish Apple would make the remote app native.

So basically it's just the iPhone app scaled up to the iPad screen? That's kind of what I thought, but I hope they'll (as you said) make an iPad-native version that takes better advantage of the screen real estate.

Any other thoughts, observations or comments on teaching/preaching from an iPad?

I have made the switch to preaching exclusively with the iPad and it has been awesome! Most the time I use Word and Documents to Go to generate my sermon and then save it to a PDF format. Once it is in PDF I then use GoodReader to display it on the iPad. I am thankful I don't have to print them out any longer. I still use my MacBook Pro to run keynote. I am excited when ios 4.0 comes out for the iPad because then I am hopeful i can run GoodReader and Keynote at the same time.

Wes

So basically it's just the iPhone app scaled up to the iPad screen? That's kind of what I thought, but I hope they'll (as you said) make an iPad-native version that takes better advantage of the screen real estate.

Any other thoughts, observations or comments on teaching/preaching from an iPad?

Yes, in first release we will simply take advantage of the larger screen, not just run the iPhone app in expanded blurry view. However, we have big plans to add many more features that the extra space makes feasible, we just wanted to get an initial version out there for all our users who are "chomping at the bit."

Archived