Baylor Handbook on the Greek New Testament

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

+1

6 hours ago, tswope said:

These handbooks have become a standard for me (for the books that they are available for). I need a commentary that discusses the Greek or Hebrew grammar of the text! This and the EGGNT are the only two series that I'm aware of that do this.

Please consider adding the Baylor Handbook On The Hebrew Bible series, the Baylor Handbook On the Greek Bible series, and/or the Exegetical Guide To The Greek New Testament by B&H.

Accordance does have EGGNT as a 9 volume set or individual volumes.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/exegetical-guide-to-the-greek-new-testament-9-volumes/

I’m using EGGNT now, and they are good. Baylor would be a good addition as well.

7 hours ago, tswope said:

Please consider adding the Baylor Handbook On The Hebrew Bible series, the Baylor Handbook On the Greek Bible series, and/or the Exegetical Guide To The Greek New Testament by B&H.

Amen! 1+

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I reached out to Baylor Press' digital department to see if I could help make this happen.  They said they are considering expanding their digital offerings, but I did not walk away with an understanding as to how this works.  Does Accordance make a request to Baylor?

+1

Yep, we’d reach out to Baylor (unless they want to reach out to us first!).

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Edited by josephbradford

Yes, please consider adding the 21 books in the Baylor Handbook on the Greek New Testament series.

Thanks!

On 4/19/2023 at 11:41 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Yep, we’d reach out to Baylor (unless they want to reach out to us first!).

Can you help me understand why other platforms like Olive Tree's Bible Software, and Logos Bible Software, or even ebook options like Kindle carry the Baylor Handbook series but not Accordance?

It seems that a digital version is readily available and Accordance users have been requesting it for many years now.

Thanks 

We have it on the list to look into, but it does take time for modules to be produced in Accordance. First of all, we have to acquire a license from publishers to offer an Accordance version of a module. Even when we get that and have the e-text in hand, we then have to pass the files onto our module developers to produce.

Accordance modules are different from eBook options like Kindle. We don’t simply take an e-text and run it through a converter to get it into Accordance format. Our module developers do an immense work of hand-tagging each e-text to unlock all the powerful and speedy search functionality in Accordance. I’ve seen some of the behind-the-scenes work our module programmers do, and I’ll just say my head would never stop spinning if I had the job. 🙂 I am thankful for the work they do on our modules. When I open Accordance modules now and perform searches in them, I say an extra prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord for our team who diligently labors on our module development.

• Like 2

I didn’t fully appreciate the behind the scenes work involved.  Thanks for sharing Nathan!

Glad to do so!

We looked into Baylor Handbook. Bad news is the royalties are currently cost-prohibitive for us to produce this module and sell it at a price that would be reasonable for users. In the meantime, we’re looking at seeing about adding the remaining volumes of EGGNT as an option. You’re welcome to let Baylor know your interest in this, but that’s all we can do at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

EGGNT is great. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

We looked into Baylor Handbook. Bad news is the royalties are currently cost-prohibitive for us to produce this module and sell it at a price that would be reasonable for users. In the meantime, we’re looking at seeing about adding the remaining volumes of EGGNT as an option. You’re welcome to let Baylor know your interest in this, but that’s all we can do at the moment.

Sorry to hear that, Nathan. Thanks for the update.

It’s unfortunate, but I love EGGNT as an alternative, so maybe we can deliver on that front.

• Like 2

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

On module requests that do not work out, the only other recommendation I can make for Accordance users is, if it’s something you really want to see, email the publisher and let them know you’d love to see it in Accordance. Occasionally a publisher will listen to feedback from Bible software users and potentially reconsider publishing a work in that Bible software platform or make it easier for the Bible software platform to produce such a work. I’ve done this in the past as a Bible software user (letting certain publishers know how much I needed their content in various Bible software platforms), and eventually, it usually worked.

• 1 month later...

I have followed this thread for a while. As

I see the uncertainty of the request, our friends at Logos already offer the BHGNT. How is that possible? 

Edited by Alberto Rodriguez
Change of wording.

I wouldn't know enough about what other companies are doing to comment on it. I can only comment on what I know from the Accordance side.

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I wouldn't know enough about what other companies are doing to comment on it. I can only comment on what I know from the Accordance side.

I did email with David Nelson a Baylor University Press.  He sent me this kind reply:

“Thank you for your note. Unfortunately, after years of negotiating in hopes of establishing terms acceptable to all parties, Baylor University Press has been unable to reach an agreement with Accordance to open our Handbooks in their library. While we may in due course agree on a deal with Accordance, at present discussions are suspended.  All the best, Dave Nelson”

• Sad 1

Thanks for that! The door is always open if he wishes to reach us.