Word's First Mention

circuitrider

Is it possible to search a Bible book to find words that have their first occurrence in that specific book and get concise results?

I think it would work using the HITS command which has been explained in other posts. For example, Joshua:

Window1 search is * [RANGE Gen-Deut]

Window2 search is *@-[HITS Window1] [RANGE Josh]

This gives you all the words in Joshua which do not appear in Gen-Deut. Details: Analysis will list them for you.

Now that's an interesting request. I think what you're asking is to search a corpus, Matthew for instance, and every word to be highlighted if it is the first occurrence of that word within that book?

I can see that being helpful as a kind of Greek reading guide for instance. I don't think of a way to do this (well, not within Accordance, I should say).

Now that's an interesting request. I think what you're asking is to search a corpus, Matthew for instance, and every word to be highlighted if it is the first occurrence of that word within that book?

I can see that being helpful as a kind of Greek reading guide for instance. I don't think of a way to do this (well, not within Accordance, I should say).

Wouldn't a variation of Helen's suggestion work, or am I missing something?

post-5629-127566342079_thumb.png post-5629-127566343424_thumb.png

I could have worded the question a little better but Helen got it. A first mention within the books' canonical order is what I had in mind.

Thank you for informative replies!

We'll have to wait for clarity from circuitrider.

Helen's search (which I hadn't seen when I posted) will find every occurrence of a word in Joshua that hasn't yet occurred previously in the bible. This may in fact be what the poster was asking. Although, if the desire was for the first occurrence to be highlighted only, this search will not accomplish that.

Rick's search will find every occurrence of a word in Matthew that does not have incidence anywhere else in the NT.

What I had understood him/her to be asking was:

Display Matthew and have each word's first occurrence in that book highlighted.

This is a common desire for Greek reading. As I read through Matthew, highlight each word if it's my first time to encounter that word in this corpus. This may not be at all what was asked.

Rick: You are just finding all the words unique to Matthew.

Archived