Menu Organization

Tim Etherington

It is probably just me but I don't understand why Wheeler Greek/Hebrew, Wallace Greek, and Waltke Hebrew (just to name the ones I own) are under General Tools in the Amplify Menu instead of the respective Greek and Hebrew tools. Not a big thing but it just isn't very intuitive to me when I'm looking for them.

It is the structure of a tool what makes it go into one category or another rather than its subject matter. In other words, if a book (resource) follows a dictionary-type structure (i.e., headwords followed by definitions) and those headwords are in Greek or Hebrew, they will be found under Greek or Hebrew Tools, respectively. If they are organized according to BCV (Book-Chapter-Verse), they will be categorized as Reference Tools. In the case of Wheeler, Wallace or Waltke, they contain a lot of Greek and Hebrew, but none of them are organized like a lexicon or a verse-based commentary. That is why you see them in the General Tools category. Again, it is not subject matter but the inner structure of a book what determines what kind of tool we are dealing with. That's why all Grammars are found under General Tools (a kind of umbrella for resources that don't fit anywhere else).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clear explanation, Ruben.

Of course, we do confuse things somewhat by grouping the tools by subject on the website. There Apparatus modules (really Reference tools) and Grammars (really General tools) appear as Greek or Hebrew tools for marketing purposes, along with the lexicons.

According to the dictionary I consulted, the plural of lexicon can be either lexicons or lexica. I would suspect that "lexicons" would be more widely understood, while academics tend to prefer "lexica."

Archived