Accordance and iTunes?

Daniel R

It would be really cool if I could link verses in the BHS or GNT to MP3s I have in iTunes of Scripture being read aloud. Sometimes I use Accordance in teaching situations and have to switch from Accordance to iTunes for audio or video. Is it possible to have some kind of interface between Accordance and iTunes in future versions?

It already exists! Here's how. (I am not sure if this is just a feature of Snow Leopard or not)

1. Go to the Services Menu choice. It appears in the Application menu.

2. Choose Service Preferences at the bottom of that menu.

3. Scroll almost half way down in the box on the right and put a checkmark by Add To iTunes As A Spoken Track

4. Close the System Preference

5. Choose the text you want read in any module (Bible, user tool, etc).

6. From the Services menu choose Add To iTunes As A Spoken Track (give it time to convert and then open iTunes)

7. The track will be added as "Text To Speech" and becomes and AAC audio file.

I use this to have audio files of commentaries so I can listen while I drive.

Tony Lawrence

It already exists! Here's how. (I am not sure if this is just a feature of Snow Leopard or not)

1. Go to the Services Menu choice. It appears in the Application menu.

2. Choose Service Preferences at the bottom of that menu.

3. Scroll almost half way down in the box on the right and put a checkmark by Add To iTunes As A Spoken Track

4. Close the System Preference

5. Choose the text you want read in any module (Bible, user tool, etc).

6. From the Services menu choose Add To iTunes As A Spoken Track (give it time to convert and then open iTunes)

7. The track will be added as "Text To Speech" and becomes and AAC audio file.

I use this to have audio files of commentaries so I can listen while I drive.

Tony Lawrence

Tony,

That sounds like the opposite of what I was asking. I don't want to put Accordance texts into iTunes audio files (but thanks). I want to take existing audio files from iTunes and put them into Accordance. I hate the way the Mac voice reads. Its bad enough in English but with Hebrew its awful. I want to add MP3s of a rabbi reading the Hebrew Bible to the Hebrew text in Accordance. Does that make sense?

D&T

While Accordance doesn't allow you to import media files into Accordance, you can develop somewhat of a workaround by creating a User Tool. Because Accordance provides the ability to link from a User Tool to external files, you could create a User Tool which lists in some organized fashion the relevant files you want to have ready access to along with the appropriate links.

Currently, Accordance does not provide the ability to create non-Scripture links in User Notes. If that capability is introduced (and I hope it soon will be!), a User Notes file would work ideally. You would simply need to create a link in the note which, because it would scroll in parallel with the text, would provide ready access to the audio readings of the text.

That sounds like the opposite of what I was asking.

Sorry, I will try to read more carefully next time. I was so excited when I found one could add the reading of modules to iTunes for copying to my ipod I wanted to share it with others.

Your request has not piqued my interest for the ability to do the reverse as well. I too hope this makes it into a future release.

Tony Lawrence

Archived