Ubuntu VM on Apple Silicon Mac

Dr. Nathan Parker

What would be the best solution for running a Ubuntu VM on an Apple Silicon Mac? Parallels? Is there an Apple Silicon version of Ubuntu yet?

And no, it's not another attempt at trying to get Accordance running on Linux. :-) 

Thanks!

Check out the Ubuntu ready to go packs with UTM either from the Mac store or no cost from UTM itself.

UTM has worked nicely on my M1 Pro based MacBook--and the price is right. ;)

--Joseph the VM Tinkerer

After @Solly's note about UTM (Universal Turing Machine?), I had a look to see what other VMs there were in the market.

Macworld has an article on this:

https://www.macworld.com/article/668848/best-virtual-machine-software-for-mac.html

The one that caught my eye was Windows 365. I know this is off-topic for the thread, but the whole thread is off-topic for Accordance anyway, so hopefully no one would take offense. :P

Windows 365 is said to have a cloud version of Windows - the operating system (whether real as a VM) is hosted in the cloud; the main requirement is for the user to have a good internet connection. I wonder whether this would be a viable alternative for Accordance users who don't have Mac or Windows as their primary OS. The idea would be to subscribe to Windows 365, install Accordance in the cloud, then access it from any device they have, whether Ubuntu or something else that Accordance doesn't support.

There's a subscription fee for Windows 365, but if people already have a subscription (maybe through multi-user family or work subscription plans), it becomes an interesting alternative to explore.

• Like 1

I’d like to find virtualization software like this for the iPad Pro. So far, I’ve only been able to find applications that connect to operating systems running on other hardware. 

I saw that UTM has a method for running virtual machines in iOS, but it’s convoluted to install. I’d like something that could be installed directly from the App Store. 

Edited by R. Mansfield

I'm comparing UTM to the free version of VMware. I'll settle on one shortly.

@Lawrence True about Windows 365 being an option for those who need to run Windows apps on non-standard hardware. While I'm not a huge fan of the subscription model in general, since one is renting cloud access to Windows and can access those Windows apps on any device with an Internet connection, it's an interesting take on getting access to Accordance on unsupported devices.

Has anyone tried this with an iPad? I wonder if potentially an iPad could access Windows 365 and a desktop version of Accordance that way. Then if one needed to travel with an iPad only, they'd still be able to access the "full Accordance Desktop experience" and any other desktop-level apps on an iPad. 

@R. Mansfield I think I read up on this a while back, and the issue was Apple was limiting (not allowing) virtualization software on the App Store (for iOS/iPadOS). Now that we're beginning to see Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad, and if we eventually see Xcode for iPad, maybe gradually Apple will allow iPadOS to offer such functionality. Now that we've seen it's possible to get Windows running in a virtual machine on Apple Silicon Macs, we know it's technically possible to allow it on iPads (especially those with M Series chips). It would be great if one day we could run all of that on an iPad.

• Like 1