Highlighting is aligned differently on Intel and M1

Sam Freney

Accordance 14.0.5

Ventura 13.3.1(a)

Intel Macbook Core i7; Mac mini M1

Text: BHS-T

Here's a strange one.

I have 2 Macs. An Intel Macbook (Quad-core i7, about the last generation before the M platform) and a M1 Mac Mini. Both are Ventura 13.3.1(a) and Accordance 14.0.5.

My "Accordance Files" folder is in my Documents folder that is shared on iCloud between the two computers, so they operate on the same data in the same way. (Sometimes I have to be careful about making sure the app is closed on one machine before opening on the other, but it works well anyway.)

I've noticed different behaviour of Accordance on these two platforms before: 

Here's my bug: Highlighting is not aligned the same way on these two architectures for the BHS-T module when there are superscript annotations in the verse.

I've attached a couple of screenshots with some highlighting here. There's no phrasing applied, it's just regular text. One shot is from the M1 machine, where the highlights (underlines in this case, both blue and grey) are aligned properly to the words.

The other shot is the same verse from the same highlights file, just opened up on the Intel machine. You can see the first verse has highlights that aren't aligned properly anymore, but the second verse is fine. This is because of the 'a' superscript in the first verse - it pushes everything that comes after the superscript out.

If I was to align everything on the Intel machine, save and quit, it would be misaligned in the opposite way on the M1 machine.

Possible cause:

I think the reason this happens is a rendering issue with those superscript notes. Notice on the Intel shot the 'a' has no space from the previous word, but there is a space on the M1 screenshot. This discrepancy in rendering means the marked places for Highlights get pushed around.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 10.06.07 am.png

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 10.04.03 am.png

Hi @Sam Freney,

I find your post intriguing since I have had highlight issues for along time that I have tried to get a hold of. I know the issue started when I moved from Acc v.12 to Acc v.13, and that upgrade was done while I was on an Intel Mac.

I now have an M1 and have been trying to make sense of the highlight issues. I know a lot of issues are just carried over from highlights done in the past, but I really do feel like I still have new corruption since moving to an M1.

The issue is exactly as you described with it not being aligned. The issue has been in both the original languages and also the English. I have always avoided highlighting superscripts, but it is an interesting theory that the issue is whether the verse has superscripts or not, and if the behavior is different based on the Intel vs M1.

Kristin

Good to know, @Kristin. I don't really use the highlights outside of Hebrew and Greek, and the BHS module is really the only one where I've noticed this issue, but interesting that it also happens in English.

If my theory of an extra space holds, that might explain some of your highlighting-through-upgrades woes, at least across the platforms from historical highlight files.

• Like 1

Let me show this one to my teams. I’m not exactly sure how to best answer this.

Hi @Sam Freney ,

Given what I just wrote above I would like to mention that I can confirm new highlight corruption on highlights I made about 30 minutes ago. I had not even left the page, or had created new highlights. I had just opened a new window, made some notes (which I expect to corrupt soon, so only God knows why I keep making notes) then I came back to the page and the highlights are messed up. I did not highlight over superscripts, but there are superscripts in the verse. It is wild since I had done NOTHING to this window. I had not only not closed it, but I hadn't even scrolled or anything. I just closed the new window re-exposing this window and saw it had changed.

@Nathan Parker,
Can you please make sure the developers are aware of this post? I am attaching a screenshot in case it is helpful. This is super frustrating.Bildschirmfoto2023-05-04um23_09_57.thumb.png.ff1228c157a0429a8111cc7c601ffa81.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This bug still exists in 14.0.6, M1 Mac mini & Intel MacBook Air as detailed above (up-to-date MacOS on both).

Thanks! I'll report it again.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:23 PM, Sam Freney said:

Possible cause:

I think the reason this happens is a rendering issue with those superscript notes. Notice on the Intel shot the 'a' has no space from the previous word, but there is a space on the M1 screenshot. This discrepancy in rendering means the marked places for Highlights get pushed around.

Hi Sam,

Sorry this has gone on this long. I think you have an "old" version of BHS-T on your M1 --> In the latest version (2.5) there is no space between the superscript and the previous word. Can you run Check for Content Updates on your M1 to confirm?

Mike