application window size and position not remembered

John Fox

Accordance v. 14.0.4

Windows v. Windows 11 Home 22H2 OS Build 22621.1555

Dell laptop

Problem: Accordance doesn't remember where the application window was on the screen and what size it was (including whether it was maximized). Due to this bug, when it opens, it is often off the screen, or critical parts of the window frame are off the screen, making it impossible to change the size or maximize with the mouse. 

Workaround: I struggled with this problem for a long time, often having to close and reopen the application multiple times to get a size and position of the app that I could use. Eventually, I figured out that I could type Alt-F> left arrow> M (for move) and move the window with the arrow keys. 

Thanks for your help,

John

• Like 1

This is a bug. I deal with it daily with my triple monitor setup. One thing that I have found that helps on my main monitor (even though it is still not 100% consistent): When closing down, resize the window to fit well within the main monitor. (You may have to downsize, then drag over, and downsize again until it all fits. Sometimes on my triple monitor it seems to take the pixel measurements from all the monitors and open up across all three, but then not centered!) Then close the application. When you reopen, it will open in the small size, then expand it to full size. This does not work for my non-main monitors, so I deal with them somewhat like you describe. Daily, and with several workspaces opened daily ... waiting for this bug to be fixed!

• Like 2

I believe we’ve reported this bug, but I’ll double check.

@John Fox

"Windows key + Up Arrow" may be more convenient: it toggles the 'full screen' state of the active window.

If that pulls the window to some phantom screen, try "Win + Left Arrow" repeatedly to quickly bring it to a visible screen.

It's not just Accordance; some other apps open to a weird window setting as well. I'm not sure why this has become a problem in Windows 11 (and 10?) - perhaps Microsoft changed their API and the programs are still using the deprecated functions.

I figured it was reported so I never complained about it.