Video Calling Software for Students

Dr. Nathan Parker

I video chat with a couple of students each week to study various Theology material. Originally we were using it to help each other study for our comp exams, but now we’ve pivoted to chatting about our dissertations and other ways we can keep up-to-date in our study fields.

Originally, I used the web browser version of Jitsi, but the free plan seemed a little flakey. For a while, we were using FaceTime, but since I upgraded to macOS Monterey, I can’t see the video of anyone else on my Mac who joins the video call. I can see them if I join in on my iPhone or iPad instead.

We’ve been trying Skype, but we’ve had a lot of echoing with Skype, and we’ve also had issues with Skype sending us to a web browser instead of joining in through an app.

I tried Brave Talk, but I never could get the session to even start.

Our meetings last about an hour, but it’s possible they can go over about 10-15 minutes if we’re really discussing material.

I’m considering moving from a free app to a paid service that I’d just pay out of pocket for (unless I’m overlooking any other good free services). 

What are some other apps I should be looking into? Our school uses Zoom, so we’re all familiar with it. I’m familiar with GoToMeeting and Teams from different places I’ve worked. I’d like something pretty cost-effective since we’ll just be using it for causal use, but at the same time, I need something that works.

Thanks!

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Based on what you wrote, it frankly sounds like there is something going on with your computer. I use the free version of Skype almost every day with my students, and I don't have any weird issues like you are describing. So it makes me wonder if it is connected to your FaceTime issues. I think the first thing I would do is call Apple support and have them help you fix the FaceTime issue. It is possible doing so will fix Skype.

I don't personally recommend Zoom. Apart from the notorious security issues they had making the news last year, you can only talk for something like 45 min for free and Zoom shuts you off. To make it worse, they came out with a stupid policy last year where you HAVE to update the software every month.

So I would start with Apple, but other than that, Gruveo is another free option which has worked.

Zoom can be used from the web browser, so that helps to mitigate some of the security exposure, but yes I would look at alternatives to Zoom and ideally, fixing FaceTime.

I have had some Internet issues here, so that may be part of it.

I may spin up a Troubleshooter account on my Mac try FaceTime there. It’s possible the Monterey upgrade corrupted a file in my user account. I could probably figure it out and toss the bad file.