Hebrew in Pages

M.Chris.Schwartz

I am running the latest version of pages, and I am wondering if it is possible to set up my Hebrew fonts to write from right-to-left. That way I don't have to think of my Hebrew backwards to write. Ideally it would be nice to switch between English L-R and Hebrew R-L.

You can use the Language and Text preference pane (or International in Leopard), and turn on various language input sources. That should put an input menu in the menubar which will allow you to select the languages that you enabled in the pref pane. That will allow you to type RTL in pages.

• 4 weeks later...

You can use the Language and Text preference pane (or International in Leopard), and turn on various language input sources. That should put an input menu in the menubar which will allow you to select the languages that you enabled in the pref pane. That will allow you to type RTL in pages.

I'm attempting to do the same thing in Pages. However, when I set the input source to Hebrew, I'm not able to change the font to Yehudit. Is there a way to set the font to Yehudit and type right to left?

Sorry, Yehudit works as right-to-left only in Accordance. In Pages, you should be using Unicode fonts, but the right-to-left is not yet well implemented. It is much better than Word, but not nearly as good as Mellel or Nisus Writer Pro.

Helen,

Maybe you can tell me if there's a way to accomplish what I'm attempting to do directly in Accordance. I'm working as a teacher's assistant for a Hebrew class in seminary. The professor is using Futato's Hebrew grammar which is available in Libronix. However, copy & paste doesn't work well for the Hebrew font they're using. So I'm typing some of the material myself in Pages using Yehudit. Can I create this reference material for class directly in Accordance?

Thanks,

Irwyn

You can try using a User Tool and printing directly from it, or to PDF, or exporting to Pages. Of course it has limited capabilities compared to a full word processor.

• 9 years later...