erroneous search analysis results

A. Smith

I ran the following search in NA28 

υιοσ@ [NOUN singular ] <AND> <WITHIN 3 Words> θεος

The results in the text window are exactly as expected. But when I ran a concordance from the analysis dropdown I got results that aren't even in the search results, namely 2Cor 3.7 and 13. There may be others. Anyway, it's strange because these verses don't have the words and aren't in the text window. I've repeated this several times to confirm the oddity. Running latest version of v14, btw. 

@A. Smith

It looks like the concordance gives you references to all instances of each word in isolation.

I did a search for υἱος on its own in NA28 and looked at the first few hits. They match the start of the list of references cited in the concordance for υἱος.

Windows 11, Accordance 1.0.4

There seems to be a bug, though. If I close the Analytics group and then choose "Show Default Analytics" from the analysis dropdown, the user interface glitches (see below). Closing the Analytics group fixes the problem. This is repeatable.

image.thumb.png.fcad133ed99a8779c97b407b6af290cb.png

Edited by Lawrence
  • Thanks 1

If you look, at the top of the Concordance pane, it will show that it is giving results for: υἱός    son  noun  (51)

Scroll to the bottom and you will see results for: θεός    god, God  noun  (51)

I.e., as @Lawrence notes, the concordance is showing hits for the words separately.

If you don't see any results for God, it's because you've exceeded default Display Thresholds. Click on the little gear setting in the concordance display > Customize > increase display threshold to 2000 or so.

• Thanks 1

@A. Smith

If you're trying to get a list of the references found, try this:

1. Click in the search-results window. (I get a weird warning about needing a valid selection at this point - just click "ok".)

2. Select all (Ctrl-A).

3. Right-click -> Copy As -> References (Ctrl-Alt-R)

4. Paste into your word processor. This produces a list of just the references found.

• Thanks 1

Keep me posted on this if there’s a bug I need to test/report.

16 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@A. Smith

If you're trying to get a list of the references found, try this:

1. Click in the search-results window. (I get a weird warning about needing a valid selection at this point - just click "ok".)

2. Select all (Ctrl-A).

3. Right-click -> Copy As -> References (Ctrl-Alt-R)

4. Paste into your word processor. This produces a list of just the references found.

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mgvh said:

If you look, at the top of the Concordance pane, it will show that it is giving results for: υἱός    son  noun  (51)

Scroll to the bottom and you will see results for: θεός    god, God  noun  (51)

I.e., as @Lawrence notes, the concordance is showing hits for the words separately.

If you don't see any results for God, it's because you've exceeded default Display Thresholds. Click on the little gear setting in the concordance display > Customize > increase display threshold to 2000 or so.

That makes sense when I think of it as a concordance (exactly what the name says lol). I was looking to just get all the search result references, which @Lawrence has helped me find. Thanks to both of you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:36 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Keep me posted on this if there’s a bug I need to test/report.

I think the unexpected behavior is that when a tagged search is run, the options in the analysis drop-down are expected to be bound to the query. In reality, the concordance results are bound to the component words but not their constraints.

For example, searching for רחל@[noun creature] is a search for ewe lambs, not Jacob's wife. The 4 search results confirm this. However, if one chooses the concordance option from the analysis drop-down, you get רחל    ewe  noun  (4), which is all expected, but many many more concordance hits involving Jacob's wife and not just ewe lambs.

Given the concordance results say (4), and the contextual process to get this result (analysis drop down) I'm going with bug here. The user and apparently the program are expecting 4 results but getting a lot more.

I think there are 2 ways to fix this. Either, report the correct number of items in the concordance and state the feature is intended to work like the back of your paper Bible, or actually filter the concordance by the query and allow grouping by tags.

Best,

Dan