Registry Cleaner

Dr. Nathan Parker

I’m still in the process of refreshing myself on Windows in general.

Quick question for other Accordance users. Should I run a “registry cleaner” to cleanup after uninstalling a bunch of programs, or should I leave everything as it is? 

I removed some pre-installed junkware that came with my Windows system to make more room for Accordance.

Thanks!

If you don't have a problem with the system after the uninstallations, it's probably a bigger risk to run a third-party (i.e. non-Microsoft) registry cleaner than to let whatever leftover bits hang around in the registry.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info! I have disabled a bunch of auto run apps using Settings. For now, I’ll probably just leave the system as is instead of attempting to run a registry cleaner.

• Like 1

Thanks! Have you used it on Windows 11?

Great. Thanks!

I went ahead and tried CCleaner (I successfully used it years ago). I didn’t have it just fix everything since that’s when things can get into trouble. I had it scan the registry for issues, then I selectively resolved removing the registry keys I know were connected to apps I’ve removed. It did seem to help optimize some stuff, and now my machine boots and runs extremely fast. I also removed a couple of defunct Services using Command Prompt.

Side question, has anyone ever used PC Matic? How well does it play with your computer and with Accordance?

• 3 weeks later...

This may be late, but here's what I always do on Windows PCs, especially less-capable machines:

1. Uninstall the bloatware
    1. If you don't know what it is and it doesn't have "Microsoft" or the PC mfg in the name, bye-bye.
    2. HP is particularly guilty of bloatware
  2. Remove ALL antivirus software
    1. Install MS Defender if not installed by default (Luke 22:38b)
    2. Install Malwarebytes and run to remove any offending malwares
  3. Turn off unnecessary startup apps
  4. Run all available Windows Updates
  5. Run Disk Cleanup

Hopefully this helps someone. Note that step one usually takes an hour or more by itself.

That’s pretty much what I did. Thanks for this!

• Like 1