A Thorough Accordance Tutoral Textbook & Workbook

Enoch

IMHO:  Accordance has a plethora of features which would merit at least a 3 semester hour college course. And I think the seminaries & Bible Colleges should require a course in it.  Now I ask ye who know Accordance thoroughly (does anybody?) if it would require more than a 3 hours course?  At any rate, we desperately need a complete manual textbook on Accordance with a thorough workbook.  Could a computer based tutorial accomplish the same thing?  I started Accordance in 2008, but have barely scratched the surface on using it.  What kind of training program does Accordance have for new staff?  I ask other uses, what % of Accordance have you mastered?  If a new user stopped everything & concentrated on learning Accordance, how many hours would that require even if he had the textbook manual & workbook?

• Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 4:38 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

deleted

Edited by Enoch
donno how this got posted to this thread. How do I delete?

Thanks! I’ve added this to the list. I’m kicking around the idea of taking the existing “Getting Started with Accordance” module on here, updating the content, and fleshing it out into a more comprehensive book.

We also have some Training feedback threads on here you’re welcome to add some feedback on how we could enhance our training offerings to colleges and seminaries. This year I plan to get involved in a lot of our training efforts. We do have live webinars, and we’ve done video podcasts in the years (and looking at bringing them back).

I can’t speak for any onboarding training for Accordance employees since I was already well-versed in Accordance before joining the team. Over the years, I attended webinars and watched a ton of Dr. J’s video podcasts.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! I’ve added this to the list. I’m kicking around the idea of taking the existing “Getting Started with Accordance” module on here, updating the content, and fleshing it out into a more comprehensive book.

We also have some Training feedback threads on here you’re welcome to add some feedback on how we could enhance our training offerings to colleges and seminaries. This year I plan to get involved in a lot of our training efforts. We do have live webinars, and we’ve done video podcasts in the years (and looking at bringing them back).

I can’t speak for any onboarding training for Accordance employees since I was already well-versed in Accordance before joining the team. Over the years, I attended webinars and watched a ton of Dr. J’s video podcasts.

Thanks, Nathan. It seems that the new generation is hooked on video education, which of course is good for somethings. But in general, I prefer the printed page, as I estimate my ability to read at at least 3X that of hearing or watching video.  And with printed page one can skip what one already knows & save time on repetitions by scanning over a page, & stopping to focus on what is important to you.

• Like 5

I’d like to balance both video and written training. That way we’re serving a range of audiences. People learn differently in different ways (some video, some through reading), plus I can see where written training would be super useful for customers with limited Internet connectivity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

Thanks, Nathan. It seems that the new generation is hooked on video education, which of course is good for somethings. But in general, I prefer the printed page, as I estimate my ability to read at at least 3X that of hearing or watching video.  And with printed page one can skip what one already knows & save time on repetitions by scanning over a page, & stopping to focus on what is important to you.

I would Echo that. I really like a reference type tool even though some videos are good too.

• Like 3

Just some thoughts:

I have learned a ton about Accordance through using it in school. Nearly everything I've learned has been through experiment/trial-and-error. We did have a one-hour course over how to use Accordance during the first quarter, but without contextualization (i.e., actual ways to use the features), many features felt unhelpful and didn't stick. 

To stick most effectively, I believe a guide or lesson plan should include realistic study situations and reasons to accompany features. Why would I use this feature, and how would I know? A list of "homework" items at the end of each training module or chapter would give additional practice.

If you build training around functionality and you highlight certain highly-developed modules (Atlas, Expanded Timeline, EGGNT, IVP Bible Background Commentary, NIDO/NTTE, TDOT, NT Use of OT, AYBD, etc.), you will easily expand sales.

Edited by Andrew Patterson
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

Just some thoughts:

I have learned a ton about Accordance through using it in school. Nearly everything I've learned has been through experiment/trial-and-error. We did have a one-hour course over how to use Accordance during the first quarter, but without contextualization (i.e., actual ways to use the features), many features felt unhelpful and didn't stick. 

To stick most effectively, I believe a guide or lesson plan should include realistic study situations and reasons to accompany features. Why would I use this feature, and how would I know? A list of "homework" items at the end of each training module or chapter would give additional practice.

If you build training around functionality and you highlight certain highly-developed modules (Atlas, Expanded Timeline, EGGNT, IVP Bible Background Commentary, NIDO/NTTE, TDOT, NT Use of OT, AYBD, etc.), you will easily expand sales.

Yes! To go along with that, how about a Manuel that could take intermediate users further and accompany that with Webinars/online workshops where participants could do the exercises along with the instructor? I've done that for beginners via Zoom and they've found that helpful.

• Like 2

Great idea