Liddell and Scott Unabridged Dictionary -- Accordance module is abbridged! No Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names

Enoch

The L&S big dictionary is supposed to have an Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names.  I found to my dismay today, trying to see what it says about "Tyre," the my module lacks that appendix. 

• Like 2

I’ll show this to the book developers and will see what kind of answer I can get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moving this to module requests so we can file it in the right place.

I care less about the indices and more about the 1996 supplement. This is LSJ’s most useful feature!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

I care less about the indices and more about the 1996 supplement. This is LSJ’s most useful feature!

why choose though? 😁

• Like 1

I made notes on this one to also look into the 1996 supplement.

Nathan is checking on the Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names with the developers as per the original request. 

The LSJ ninth edition (1925-1940) is in the public domain and therefore available from Accordance as a fully indexed module at a reasonable price.

Oxford has a copyright to the supplement (1968) and publishes the hard copy book at the most reasonable price of $220.00 list plus tax. Add the cost of fully indexing the electronic text into Accordance and it is what it is.

LSJ is not considered to be the most up to date and accurate Greek lexicon even with a supplement. The Cambridge Greek Lexicon (1921) was supposed to be an update to LSJ but they decided that the LSJ defects were so great that they had to start from scratch. Cambridge has a more limited scope but is far more accurate with every citation newly created and verified from the best texts.

The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is also a new up to date alternative.

Both of these are available from Accordance at much lower prices than what Oxford charges for the supplement.

The ultimate Greek lexicon may be Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG): A Digital Library of Greek Literature which is free online.

These lexicons cover the larger world beyond the New Testament koine Greek. For the study of the Biblical text BDAG is considered to be the gold standard and its price on sale is roughly half that of the LSJ Supplement.

Edited by kcmizzou
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, mbcvida said:

Cambridge Greek Lexicon in Accordance?

This is a search of accordance.com for Greek lexicons: https://www.accordancebible.com/?s=greek+lexicon

No sign of the Cambridge Greek Lexicon. 🤔

• Like 1

Well. Well. I stand corrected. 

So, I can now make my first module request. This an exciting moment for an old fellow who doesn't get out much.

Accordance folks: please consider adding the Cambridge Greek Lexicon (2021) to the resources when it is available.

Wow this is fun.

• Like 2

I can add Cambridge Greek Lexicon to the modules request list if need be.

Are you sure TLG is free online? I thought it required one hefty subscription? We used to have a way to import TLG CD files into Accordance (I guess the feature is still there?).

You cannot download the database but you can access an abridged version for free by registering at the TLG site. Full access requires affiliation with a sponsor institution such as a school or public library which has an account. The issue is what level of scholarly access are you looking for and what actual use do you have.

TLG is not going to be integrated into Accordance or other software. This is not a BDAG replacement. The application is that you have a specific set of words that you want to verify against the massive database to see if additional citations have been found that are not recorded in the lexicons you already own. If you are a super scholar doing full time work then you probably are affiliated with some institution with a full account. Regular folks can use the site for free though to supplement the lexicons that you already use.

The question is have you reached a stage where the rich resources already available in Accordance are not good enough for your work. If so then even more power tools are available on line for reference and the institutions that fund these projects are not trying to exclude serious scholars from access.

Perhaps I am being too indirect in the post. What I mean to say is that Accordance already offers extremely powerful lexicons and tools which even the most advanced scholars should not complain about. Look carefully at the resources that are available. Even the free stuff and basic packages are rich sets of tools that fifty years ago we dinosaurs would drool over if we could even get into the library to gaze upon them. New works which greatly expand the old works are being produced and sold a very reasonable prices. I am in awe over what overwhelming tools I can now use and the advances we have made from the stone age when my computer was a slide rule. Accordance and the resources we have today are a rich blessing and I have no complaints for being alive in this age to experience what I never conceived was possible.

But Do kill bugs!

• Like 6

Thanks for the followup! I filed a module request for Cambridge Greek Lexicon.

True on TLG itself not going to be integrated into Accordance (licensing for that would likely be impossible. I believe in the past we had a feature for when TLG files shipped on CD, that the user who had the license rights to select TLG files on CDs could import them into Accordance as a User Tool (for their own personal use, and they couldn’t share the files with others). I just checked in 14.0.4, and I believe it’s still an option under “Import to User Tool”. 

10 hours ago, kcmizzou said:

If you are a super scholar doing full time work then you probably are affiliated with some institution with a full account. Regular folks can use the site for free though to supplement the lexicons that you already use.

Perhaps I am being too indirect in the post. What I mean to say is that Accordance already offers extremely powerful lexicons and tools which even the most advanced scholars should not complain about. Look carefully at the resources that are available. Even the free stuff and basic packages are rich sets of tools that fifty years ago we dinosaurs would drool over if we could even get into the library to gaze upon them. New works which greatly expand the old works are being produced and sold a very reasonable prices. I am in awe over what overwhelming tools I can now use and the advances we have made from the stone age when my computer was a slide rule. Accordance and the resources we have today are a rich blessing and I have no complaints for being alive in this age to experience what I never conceived was possible.

TLG has the option for individuals to use the unabridged database for $140/year. So it is a matter of each person deciding whether that amount is worth the investment for his research. But as mentioned above, Accordance has enough available for the average user to keep us busy for a long while. I, too, can remember the day hearing about Loebolus and going into a university library and "drooling" over the prospect of just browsing through the set. Now I have the entire set downloaded in Google pdfs, plus the option of buying them fully digitized (searchable). And the ANF-PNF? Well, I own multiple copies of the digitized set but can still remember the day I bought the 10-voulme ANF hard copies. Perhaps our biggest challenge today is not the lack of study materials, it is putting what we know into shoe-leather action! 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kcmizzou said:

… I am in awe over what overwhelming tools I can now use and the advances we have made from the stone age when my computer was a slide rule. Accordance and the resources we have today are a rich blessing and I have no complaints for being alive in this age to experience what I never conceived was possible.

My thoughts as well!

40 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

...Perhaps our biggest challenge today is not the lack of study materials, it is putting what we know into shoe-leather action! 🙂

Ouch, guilty as charged! 😔

—Joseph

True on that! We have such a wealth of tools, we just need to use them!

I am unaware of Accordance having the resources to research sufficiently the use of apostasia for a literal departure rapture, but maybe I need to check my library more.  The use of apostasia for rapture, is found in a group of (what you could call apocryphal) documents edited by Tischerdorf.  It is called "The Dormition of Mary," the tale of the assumption of Mary, & all the apostles being raptured from various places on earth (like Philip's rapture after the Eunuch story in Acts),  in this case "hop raptures of apostles are to Jerusalem to see be a witness of the assumption (as I recall).  IMHO the document is written in koine Greek, much like the NT, and not so long after the NT was finished.  But I don't think Accordance has that document in Greek. It is in the Pre-Nicene Church Fathers collection in English.         Thanks for telling me about TLG, of which I had never heard.  Is this a lexicon where an editor gives you his opinions of meanings of Greek words (like BDAG) with examples, or it just a listing of the occurrences of words so that you can read them for yourself in context & decide what meaning fits the context?  Probably I could get access via the British University from which I graduated, though I will probably have hoops to jump through to do it. I guess I need to investigate from myself, but how does TLG differ from being able to search the Perseus corpus?  If Perseus has the Tischendorf document, then I would be wrong in my assessment of Accordance.  As I recall Accordance has some of the documents in that Tischendorf collection, but not the Dormition.  The name of the collection is something like Apocryphal Apocalypses.         

I have access to all of the Accordance modules in my library, so if there’s a particular module you’re looking for to buy, you can DM me what you’re looking for. I can run a search against all my modules then tell you which one you’d need to buy. If there are particular ones you wish to see video demos of on the product pages, that’s something I’ll be doing more of as well.

23 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I filed a module request for Cambridge Greek Lexicon.

I hope you’re aware of previous expressions of interest. I think this is the most extensive thread: 

The great thing about it is that it’s been done from first principles, by lexical research. The disappointing thing for me is that it’s meant to replace the Intermediate Liddell, so it cites sources only by name.

Thanks! I added that link to the module request.

LOGOS has the supplements to LSJ in their LSJ!  I mention this to motivate Accordance to add it.  The Logos LSJ hypes it:

Q:

•      Integration of the revised (1996) supplement in the main body text.
    •      Formatting enhancements that make the text more readable.

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, et al., A Greek-English Lexicon (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1996), xiv. /Q

Thanks! I’ve made a note of this.

• 6 months later...

The publisher version would be cost-prohibitive to produce. However, the version that was in BibleWorks would be ideal if there are any BibleWorks users who want to put in a good word for us.