iWork on iPad mini

Dr. Nathan Parker

Does anyone use the iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) on an iPad mini? I generally use them on my Mac. I’m trying to decide how useful they would be to run on an iPad mini.

Thanks!

Back when I used to have regular teaching and occasional preaching gigs, I used Keynote from the iPad for all my slideshows. From 2010 to 2018, specifically.

If I am ever in another teaching context one day, I'd still use Keynote over PowerPoint any day.

Edited by R. Mansfield
  • Like 2

Great feedback. Thanks! I agree with you on Keynote vs PowerPoint. I always use Keynote for my own presentations. The only time I open PowerPoint is when I have to send a presentation to someone on Windows, and even then, I usually build it in Keynote first and just cleanup the remaining formatting.

I use numbers on 9.7" (dont have a mini).

i tend to use notes in preference to pages as it includes all the formatting i need on the 9.7" 1st gen pro which is a small screen compared to the latest ones. 

i never use pp or kn. I much prefer word on a mbp for presentations (but could use pages, just more familiar with word) as i have a number of styles set up and you just need to put in page breaks to create the slide and then pdf it to project. I usually import my notes file into word to format. Much easier to create multiple slides that way for projecting  when pasting in large amounts of text such as the daily readings or the verses of a hymn or large sections of liturgy for example and you have total control over the formatting of the text with just a few clicks by associating a style, plus if youve set up following styles correctly it will all follow on. Its mega easy to just go in and change the colour of all headings and subheadings to the liturgical year, just change one style and all linked styles change as well and you know its been done and you havent missed any. 

project in adobe reader full screen, works with zappers or blue tooth foot switches as well to move the slide on. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

By the way, I read right over the fact that this was a question about the mini. However, over the years, I used a regular iPad, mini, and Pro for the same purposes. 

• Like 1

Great. Thanks! Of the three apps, I see Keynote likely the most useful. Building a presentation using touch would be pretty intuitive (even on the mini’s screen), and wirelessly presenting with the mini would be simpler than using a notebook for those purposes.

Pages and Numbers on the mini (or apps that would use extensive typing) might be more of an issue.

Here’s the update on this:

I installed Keynote on the iPad mini for sure. I can see where I would enjoy building/editing Keynote slides on a touch screen, and wirelessly presenting from the iPad mini would be a breeze.

I’m trying Numbers as well, as there is some light spreadsheet work I do with charts that I could do on my iPad mini if I wanted to “get away from my desk”.

I went ahead and threw Pages and Mellel on there as well. I don’t see myself doing extensive typing on my iPad mini, but I could draft a document on my Mac, then proofread and “polish it up” on my iPad while sitting in a more comfortable chair away from my desk.

I build my lectures on Keynote on my MacBook Pro and then export them as a PDF to my iPad. I use Notability on my iPad when I present my lectures. I find that Notability is much more flexible than Keynote with the Apple Pencil. 

• Like 3

That is also my experience with the pencil in Notability vs. Pages. And I love Notability.

• Like 1

Thanks! I had a couple of Apple Pencils but sold them. I never could get into heavily using them. 

I would always choose PP over KN... but I guess it is personal preferences :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I use them on my phone and iPad. iPad mini is between those two. Since I can work well on my (regular, not plus) phone if needed, I don’t see any reason iPad mini wouldn’t work even better. 

Great. Thanks!