Is it possible to create a custom tagged text?

Hunter Goff

I am medieval scholar and am wanting to import a Latin text that I can work on tagging and creating a corresponding translation. I know this isn't specific to Greek and Hebrew, but I am curious if it is just possible overall even if it isn't possible with Latin.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it? and if not, if not what other options would I have that might be helpful?

Hi @Hunter Goff,

Unfortunately it is not possible to tag texts yourself. I have User Bibles I want to tag also, and I hope that this is a feature that Accordance adds in the future.

This is hardly a good substitute, but the only way I am personally aware of to use as a work around is through custom highlights. I have a highlight for singular, plural, accusative, genitive, etc, etc.

I know from experience that the highlights WILL corrupt if you overuse them, so be mindful of that, but it is the best work around I am aware of.

I hope this helps a little,

Kristin

• Like 1

Creating a custom tagged text means that you'd need to tag each word with a Strong's or G/K number. If you're highly motivated to do that and share it freely with the community, I would think the Accordance staff would give you the info you need. 

• Like 1

The use of software for POS tagging and lemma tagging is something that medieval scholarship is just getting into. Most of the solutions that people have been working on are very cumbersome and difficult to use.  

Something that is at least quasi open source that is user friendly and functional is desperately needed for Latin texts.  Perseus and some long established websites have some of this done but there is a large amount of sources from the medieval period that have never been addressed in this way.  

I don't think I will do the highlight route since I want something that is more user friendly and that I can run searches against like I can with Greek and Hebrew tagged texts that are available.

Just being able to tag and link to a lexicon for lemma would be a great start. POS would be nice as well, but I think lexical tagging would be a great place to begin.

• Like 1

Accordance doesn’t have a built-in way to create tagged texts at the moment, but as @Mark Allison said, if this is a project you want to get into to contribute back to the Accordance Community you’re welcome to PM me, and we can chat about what you’d need to pull this off.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, Hunter Goff said:

Something that is at least quasi open source that is user friendly and functional is desperately needed for Latin texts.  Perseus and some long established websites have some of this done but there is a large amount of sources from the medieval period that have never been addressed in this way.  

I don't think I will do the highlight route since I want something that is more user friendly and that I can run searches against like I can with Greek and Hebrew tagged texts that are available.

Just being able to tag and link to a lexicon for lemma would be a great start. POS would be nice as well, but I think lexical tagging would be a great place to begin

FWIW, you can search for highlights in Accordance, but they would only be useful for POS, not lemmas.

Are you aware of Corpus Corporum? They have some medieval texts, and their texts are automatically tagged with lemmas.

At this point, the only way to do what you want in Accordance would involve some kind of hack that uses functionality for more than its intended purpose. For example, Strong’s numbers have sometimes been added to User Texts as superscript text, and the same could be done with lemmas. I think that would make them searchable and usable with a lexicon. But User Texts have to use an existing versification scheme, so you’d have to adapt the text’s natural division to that of some Text already in Accordance.

• Like 1

SIL has for decades and decades been developing software for linguistic analysis of texts. Understanding what each of these tools is intended to accomplish is a major project and I haven't devoted the time to do this. I suspect that tools for tagging are available but cannot point directly to which tools would be of interest. Some of the tools are restricted access for use by professional Bible translators. Not all of them.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Like 1