What happened to Accordance on Windows

Anthony

I was first introduced to Accordance on Windows when it first came out, a number of years ago.  I actually participated as a beta tester.  I enjoyed it enough, that I purchased a Macbook to experience the first class experience.  I used a Mac for many years and never had issues with Accordance.  I purchased a Surface Pro this weekend and attempted to get Accordance running on it and ran into so many problems.  First i spent about 4 hours getting all the modules to download and install in an Administrator account.  It didn't complete successfully, so i upgraded to Accordance 14, hoping it would be better and it was even worse.  So i downgraded back to Accordance 13 and am still trying to get the application to just startup successfully on Windows 11.  I'm close to throwing in the towel.  What happened?  What changed?  Has the Windows port been abandoned or is this some anomaly that I'm running into.  Sorry if this appears to be a rant.  It isn't meant to be.  I've invested a lot of money in my Accordance libraries, so walking away is not a flippant decision.

Hi Anthony

Version 14 was rushed and had a number of issues. They are working at resolving them as fast as they can. I would suggest to hang in there. I think they will resolve the issues and version 14 will be a good, solid version once they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easy install never worked well for me on either Mac or Windows but I agree it is somewhat worse on Windows. 

That said having proper dark mode on windows now is a huge step in the right direction. The port is by no means abandoned.

The workaround I’ve used regardless of platform is to install sets of content at a time. The iOS port also cannot deal with large sets of content being installed at once. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for chiming in! Accordance 14 was released a little prematurely, as we have mentioned (numerous times) on the forums. Some of the main issues have seemed to affect Windows users more than Mac users. Our teams have recently released the 14.0.4 update which has resolved a ton of issues, and we’re hard at work on additional updates as well.

In the meantime, keep reporting any issues you encounter to us so we know where we need to focus on what particular issues we need to resolve. We’re working hard to make Accordance 14 an exciting release for both Mac and Windows users.

• Like 1

1) As others have noted, stick with version 13 for now. There are many unresolved issues with 14 and more keep being found. 

2) In windows, even when you are logged in as an administrator, you may need to right click the install icon and choose "run as an administrator" to get the full rights to install. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I know I'm late responding to this.  Thanks for those who did respond earlier in the year.  I ended up moving back to MacOs so that I could continue using Accordance in an efficient and predictable manner.  

Accordance 14.0.8 (latest release) is reliable on Windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still prefer Macs in general since I switched to using a Mac as my daily driver in 2006. However, 14.0.8 is running pretty well on Windows, and 14.0.9 is also going to address some other Windows issues.

9 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I still prefer Macs in general since I switched to using a Mac as my daily driver in 2006.

@Dr. Nathan Parker I never had any major problems with Windows OS, but since I switched to MacOS (and its ecosystem) I have found that it fits my way of thinking and workflow far more than Windows ever did. I still have a lot of things to learn like the shortcuts.

9 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

14.0.8 is running pretty well on Windows, and 14.0.9 is also going to address some other Windows issues.

This is encouraging to hear!

However,  Accordance ran pretty well for me on Windows (or maybe I had a high tolerance for a few occasional imperfections). Having said that Accordance for MacOS is very comparable with its counterpart on Windows, BUT they are currently not identical.

I prefer Accordance on MacOS for several subjective and or personal reasons. 

My brain is wired to work better with a Mac, but I have been spending a lot of quality time on Windows as well so I can get to the point where I can work well across both platforms.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

However, 14.0.8 is running pretty well on Windows, and 14.0.9 is also going to address some other Windows issues.

When is 14.0.9 expected to be released?

@Kiyah

After the v.14.0 mess that was attributed to pushing out buggy code to meet a deadline, Accordance seems to have adopted a no-forecast policy regarding releases.

• Like 2

We'll release it when it's ready.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We'll release it when it's ready.

I see Accordance is trying a new strategy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

I see Accordance is trying a new strategy.

Mark, what is your definition of strategy?

• Like 1

• Dr. Nathan Parker locked this topic