Sefaria.org Module

Vaughn Hart

@jlm True. We need to get on getting those issues resolved.

Thank you all... this wasn't really about user tools... this was about preserving, helping and sharing Sefaria.org's work outside the Jewish community. If it can become a module for Accordance I think it has great content, truth,  perspective and history tat might inform Christian theology. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 4:47 AM, Nathan Parker said:

In the meantime, since it is all public domain/freely available, anyone who wants to try User Tools of these, feel free to. That’d be one quick way of turning this dream into reality.

Hi Nathan, I've started doing this on small scale to test the user modules features. But I have a few requests.

1. I would like to make title and subtitles in my user lexicons, currently it only allows titles, and I cannot arrange e.g. all words beginning with Aleph under one heading as you do with official Accordance modules. 

2. I would like to define / edit how the automatic link creation for user tools word, it currently turns grammatical abbreviations into scripture links.

Otherwise the new user tools options are great and very promising for us to make our own lexicons etc. from online lexicons. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

True. We need to get on getting those issues resolved.

Please Nathan! Thes user tool features are extremely promising, and will be extremely valuable if they could work as expected.

But right now we can't risk weeks of hard work to potentially loose the work... 

Once these features are very stable, I believe this will result in hundreds of usable user tools and revive the use of Accordance Exchange. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Anonymous said:

But right now we can't risk weeks of hard work to potentially loose the work

For reasons like this, I prefer to prepare texts outside of Accordance and then import them: I don’t risk losing my work; I can turn it into another format, e.g., ePub; I can keep it under source control with Git.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback on all of this!

4 hours ago, jlm said:

For reasons like this, I prefer to prepare texts outside of Accordance and then import them: I don’t risk losing my work; I can turn it into another format, e.g., ePub; I can keep it under source control with Git.

The import feature previously always messed up any Hebrew text I used in user tools. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anonymous said:

The import feature previously always messed up any Hebrew text I used in user tools. 

Good to know. Thanks!

I created an account in the app, plus I sent them a small donation. Has anyone used their website in the Accordance Web Browser yet?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Has anyone used their website in the Accordance Web Browser yet?

No, I haven't but I would like to have these as modules with Accordance features, not just in their app. I want these to show in instant details, in Lexicon lookup, Accordance research tab, etc. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 10:20 PM, Anonymous said:

Please Nathan! Thes user tool features are extremely promising, and will be extremely valuable if they could work as expected.

But right now we can't risk weeks of hard work to potentially loose the work... 

Once these features are very stable, I believe this will result in hundreds of usable user tools and revive the use of Accordance Exchange. 

I would second this: I have been messing around with making a user lexicon. Great potential, but the fact is that I have had umpteen crashes in an hour trying to get links to work. When the bugs get fixed this will make Accordance more powerful.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I agree I’d love to see all of this seamlessly integrated into my Accordance library.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I agree I’d love to see all of this seamlessly integrated into my Accordance library.

I see feedback that sometimes feels like folks may be getting impatient with the lack of fixing bugs and adding features. I want to let you all know that while I have experienced bugs, I understand that these are not always easy to fix. Thanks to all of you there at Accordance for what you have done and are doing. 

• Like 3

Double post again. It must be a bug; it has done it about half the time I post. 🙂 I am sure I am only clicking once. Windows 10, Accordance 14.0.4

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikeatnip said:

Double post again. It must be a bug;

Or stereo!

😂

• Like 1

No worries! I can easily hide them. I’ve noticed browsers can glitch on that from time to time.

Thank you guys. I copy and past from the commentary via Safari, into Accordance notes...  I've not tried Accordance browser. I did try the Sefaria iPad app on Mac OS but it won't copy and paste text, nor does it render in the correct size... so it's really hard to read... but this is from someone who has eye problems.  The quote and my eye problems go together. Oy Ve! I need prayer!  I'm not a pastor or teacher. I'm a unemployed guy... who attends a smallish church not in my native language or race/ethnicity.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.55.40 PM.png

Edited by Vaughn Hart
  • Like 1

+1 I'll be very interested in Sefaria within Accordance

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I try to mention MAM in any forum topic that I find that is vaguely relevant...

Sefaria's default Tanakh is an edition of MAM. So, if there were an Accordance edition of MAM, that would be one small way in which what you find on Sefaria could also be found on the Accordance platform. I have recently tried to "reboot" the project of making an Accordance edition of MAM, but I'm not clear where the project stands, in terms of Oak Tree's ability to dedicate some internal resources to it. (I call this a "reboot" since the project was started years ago but not completed.) I have already done some of the programming to create the Accordance edition of MAM, and I am willing to do additional programming. But some of what is needed to create an Accordance module may involve internal tools, private information, etc. that can't be made available to me. In other words, there may not be a way to do this without Oak Tree devoting significant resources to it.

• Like 3

Thanks! We’re looking into the MAM (No ETA on it yet).

• Like 2

Since I’m of Jewish ancestry and qualify for free sessions from PartnersinTorah.org, I’ve signed up to try some weekly sessions with them. That’ll give me a chance to interact more with Jewish materials live with a study partner, and give me a better understanding of what other Jewish materials we need to bring into Accordance. It’ll also be fun and enjoyable to learn the material!

• Like 3

One thing which would be nice from them is the Mishnah (although it's not in translation). (I don't believe we have either)

I was spending a lot of time reading medieval rabbinical commentaries there last year; it's not 100% perfect (comparing with print copies at least) but it's pretty incredible. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Douglas Fyfe said:

One thing which would be nice from them is the Mishnah (although it's not in translation). (I don't believe we have either)

Take a look at this: https://www.accordancebible.com/product/mishna-add-on/ There are two Hebrew texts (one tagged) and an English translation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jlm said:

Take a look at this: https://www.accordancebible.com/product/mishna-add-on/ There are two Hebrew texts (one tagged) and an English translation.

I genuinely don't know how I missed that. Yesterday must have been one of those days.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We’ve established a contact at Sefaria, and we’ll begin discussions with them shortly about seeing what it would involve to bring some of their content into Accordance in the future. No ETA on an actual release yet, but we’re at least in communication with them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

We’ve established a contact at Sefaria, and we’ll begin discussions with them shortly about seeing what it would involve to bring some of their content into Accordance in the future. No ETA on an actual release yet, but we’re at least in communication with them.

that is excellent news Nathan - really really good

• Like 2