iMac G3

Dr. Nathan Parker

Someone is giving me an iMac G3 they no longer want. It runs both OS 9 and OS X.

Now the question is do I attempt to install Accordance on it as a “just because I can try” challenge.

Might make for a fun blog post.

iMac G3 was the first time I ever saw Mac OS X while working at EA so it has a special place in my heart!  I'm curious what version of Accordance would have been the last with a universal binary with PPC?  Total guess — 2012 or so?  Accordance 6 or 7?  Leopard (10.5) in 2010 was the last OS to support running on PPC hardware and Snow Leopard (10.6) in 2011 I believe was the last OS that could build/run PPC software (guessing running through Rosetta).  Some software would have continued to ship universal binaries but only as long as they built on whatever Xcode shipped with Snow Leopard I would guess.  

• Like 1

Im still running a 2008 mbp which stopped upgrading the os several years ago so i cant sync phone or ipad but it does have accordance 13 running. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukfraser said:

Im still running a 2008 mbp which stopped upgrading the os several years ago so i cant sync phone or ipad but it does have accordance 13 running. 

But that would have an Intel chip (even if it's a 32-bit one).  The problem I believe will be the PPC cpu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

But that would have an Intel chip

True, was able to run windows on it faster than my windows laptop!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Someone is giving me an iMac G3 they no longer want. It runs both OS 9 and OS X.

Now the question is do I attempt to install Accordance on it as a “just because I can try” challenge.

Might make for a fun blog post.

Go for it. This will give you an installation that you can use to replicate issues that you wouldn't want to replicate on your regular installation.

For this, having an older and resource-constrained machine is a bonus: "Hey, it worked on my iMac G3. Accordance will definitely be fast enough on your computer."

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 1

Accordance 9 might work. I’ll have to look.

This would be a fun challenge for sure!

• Like 1