Franz Delitzsch: Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews

Andrew Patterson

I was only recently made aware of the esteemed Conservative German scholar and Hebraist's commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews. It being in the public domain, I expect you should have no trouble acquiring the text. 

That said, I don't know how much interest there is, so I could be standing alone on this pillar.

• Like 3

Both volumes are available for free download from Archive.org in PDF format. Choose the B&W copy for volume 1 since it much easier to read. Volume 2 has foxing (yellowing) but is very readable as is.

These are scanned images and have not been OCRed. In order to convert the books to text and tag for searching like modern commentaries a lot of human effort would need to be expended. In addition to the english, greek, and or course hebrew, there is untranslated latin, german and other text that would have to be converted and proof read by persons with those language skills. Footnotes would need handling, etc.

According to my commentary index I own hard copies of both volumes but a quick search of my shelves yielded nothing and I don't have time to search storage boxes right now. I purchased used copies back in the pre-computer days when building a vast library of the best reference works was my thing. The scanned images on Archive are quite good and the individual scanned images are available as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I wonder if this would make a good User Tool since it’s Public Domain.

• Like 1

Because this is just a pdf compilation of scanned images (high resolution photographs) of the books there is no searching of the text or other ability to integrate this into Accordance. I use Adobe PDF Reader and the full Adobe application suite which gives me greater ability to work with the scanned images if I want to extract something from the photos but this is work.

Some people have downloaded the photo .zip files and created a new document with indexing to the page level for some books they deem worthy of the effort. With this you could enter a chapter and verse and get to the photo image of the page containing the relevant text.

But to create a new, fully indexed, tagged, and searchable document is a lot of work to fully OCR, copy edit, format, index, and tag the 1100 or so pages of text.

If someone really finds this work essential (and it does contain a lot of good stuff that is still relevant today) then creating a new book of choice extracts with commentary (on the commentary) may get the essentials integrated into Accordance with far less effort.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I wonder if this would make a good User Tool since it’s Public Domain.

That occurred to me. Did they ever sort out the User Commentary thing?

• Like 1

It’s available in Accordance 14. Not sure if there are still any outstanding bugs with it.

• Like 1

Yes, I know it's a "present" feature, but due to the other issues, it got "back-burner-ed." There was no instruction on how to use it and my experiments all failed. I'll probably revive a discussion on it when the last few major issues are resolved.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Remind me to give it another spin after 14.0.4 is released. I can also chat with Linda and see if we can do a webinar on the new User Tool features in 14 (plus it’d make for a good refresher webinar on User Tools).

• Like 2

The commentary on Hebrews by Franz Delitzsch is the finest one on that book I've ever read. My copy is a reproduction published by Klock & Klock back in 1978 — I would LOVE to have it in Accordance. The forty-page appendix on the Day of Atonement is worth the price of the book.

• Like 1

Brother @David Padfield, I appreciate the recommendation. I will seek out a physical copy for sure!

As an aside, my dad has used your materials to teach Bible classes for years---I grew up doing them. 

• Like 2

Brother @David Padfield, I appreciate the recommendation. I will seek out a physical copy for sure!

As an aside, my dad has used your materials to teach Bible classes for years---I grew up doing them. 

Andrew — you made my day!

• Like 1