Microsoft 365 Personal Defender

Dr. Nathan Parker

I’ve been using Intego VirusBarrier as my endpoint protection on my Mac. I’m going to have to invest in Microsoft 365 Personal for Microsoft Office as much as I’ve been reluctant to do so (I have an Office perpetual license, but I’m going to need the extra “perks” of Microsoft 365).

I see that it now comes with a version of Microsoft Defender for Windows and Mac. Has anyone used it, and should I move my endpoint protection to it so I don’t have to pay for both Intego and Microsoft 365 but get both in one subscription?

Do I even need endpoint protection on a Mac anymore? I am using the Mac's built-in firewall, using a password manager, using common-sense security practices, using Little Snitch for outbound firewall, using a couple of tools from Objective See for extra ransomware protection, using some Mac App Store apps, keeping my systems up-to-date, and watching my privacy settings.

I’m getting a ton of junk mail on my iCloud account, but I’m in the process of forwarding it to a Google Workspace Gmail account to reduce the amount of junk mail, plus I have SpamSieve installed at the local level.

Thanks!

If that is like Windows Defender, you are GTG. 

Used it for many years and it was a hard to beat little program.

Talked with an IT guy.and he said that Windows defender was, in some ways better than the big Virus companies. 

Defender is made by Microsoft for Microsoft. It integrates into the system and is not an add on install.

Sorry,I can't help with MAC. 

• Like 1

Thanks! They’ve made a version for Mac now and are bundling it in Microsoft 365 subscriptions, which I’ve found interesting.

• Like 1

I recommend Bitdefender Total Security. I am using it on Mac, and it discovers now and then some attacks. Not familiar with Windows Defender. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I won’t have access to Microsoft Defender now. My other job is giving me free access to Microsoft 365 Desktop, but it doesn’t include Defender. At least I get Desktop Office though.