Main Features You’d Like to See in Accordance Desktop

Dr. Nathan Parker

What are some of the top features (two or three, unless you need to list more!) that aren’t currently in Accordance Desktop, but that would improve your Bible study and allow you to do more in Accordance than you’re using it today? If you’ve already listed them in a forum thread, feel free to link to that thread here. I’ll be sharing the results with our programmers.

Thanks!

Make INFER command much more user friendly. The INFER command is one of the most unique and important tools Accordance offers, and more energy should be spent to refine it. 

• Like 5

What are some ways it could be made more user friendly?

INFER that works on the same source and destination passage (e.g., searching Revelation for interferences in Revelation)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

What are some ways it could be made more user friendly?

Make it more graphically oriented and feature it prominently in the app. I suspect that most don't use INFER because they either don't know what it is or they are unsure how to use it. 

The ability to generate inner-biblical (and extra-biblical) allusions with ease is amazing. Perhaps hundreds of dissertations could be written with the INFER command.

• Like 4

Thanks for asking. Please use the characters from the keyboard selected through the OS (in my case, Windows 11) instead of overriding the system setting with keyboard layouts specially-defined in Accordance.

Currently, Accordance ignores the choice of keyboard I select using the 'Windows+spacebar' key combination.

This makes entering Greek characters tricky since I am not familiar with the keyboard layout that Accordance uses.

It's fine a lot of the time, but I end up relying on Accordance guessing correctly for breathing marks and trailing sigmas, for example.

There may be an argument that catching key-positions and switching languages internally allows the system to present mixed-language search strings more naturally (e.g. "kαι <OR> δε"), but manually switching between Greek and English keyboards is easy enough that I'm happy to forego the automatic switching.

If the programmers use whatever characters the system generates, they also don't need to specially support each different keyboard layout. Win-win in the long run.

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 2

creat a custom wordlist of the words I have liked up in a lexicon from a text I am reading to be able to memorise  and learn them later

1332513956_Screenshot2023-01-10at15_01_55.thumb.png.df250e62f9a8ea488cff347cf2e0b69b.png

to be able to export the search history in a lexicon (along with the English glosses)  to have a wordlist to learn of the words I have looked up in the text I am reading to memorise them.

would be great to have a button below the "clear history " button to "export history with glosses" and then have the words in  a list to learn - would be great to have this in iOS as well

Edited by Tim Planche
  • Like 2

I am only a few months into Accordance. I use it daily and appreciate the many options, some of which I am sure that I do not even know about yet. One request I made a couple of weeks ago on this forum was the ability to export highlights. As this option is available in other softwares that I use, I assume it would not be a terribly hard thing to integrate. Thanks for having a listening ear to users!

• Like 2

I would like to see the Instant details colour linked to either the tool or text pane colour or even have its own option for background colour and text colour

• Like 2

While I hesitate to ask for this one considering the issue Accordance has with just opening properly on one monitor, it would still be nice to have the option to specify which monitor (in a multiple monitor setup) the next zone opens up in. For example, in this screen shot, the left is the main monitor and the right is the second monitor. On the second monitor is the dictionary and text browser that were opened up from the first pane. I think the maximum number of monitors would be four. I usually run three, but occasionally four.

image.thumb.png.926f71df3bacd46eac1835fb146015e7.png

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Erhard said:

While I hesitate to ask for this one considering the issue Accordance has with just opening properly on one monitor, it would still be nice to have the option to specify which monitor (in a multiple monitor setup) the next zone opens up in. For example, in this screen shot, the left is the main monitor and the right is the second monitor. On the second monitor is the dictionary and text browser that were opened up from the first pane. I think the maximum number of monitors would be four. I usually run three, but occasionally four.

image.thumb.png.926f71df3bacd46eac1835fb146015e7.png

While specifying which monitor would be nice, just the little annoyance of opening sort of nilly-willy anywhere, on every startup, across my triple monitor setup would be a step forward.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mikeatnip said:

While specifying which monitor would be nice, just the little annoyance of opening sort of nilly-willy anywhere, on every startup, across my triple monitor setup would be a step forward.

For sure, that's why I kind of hesitate asking for it. Sometimes it spreads out over several monitors and even past the edge of the monitors

• Like 2

Please could we get better / finer choices for grammatical details:

image.thumb.png.13dd4318902966df28468001d07346fc.png

E.g., if I only want the noun / verb / adjective tag; or only the gender, or maybe the person and number but not gender, etc.

• Like 1

Please, can we get the same detailed choices for AMPLIFY:

I want to select Lexeme PLUS tag, or Lexeme PLUS inflected. 

I also want to choose Lexeme PLUS aspect, or Lexeme PLUS person & gender, etc. 

image.thumb.png.08b769fe977b3ac0614e533e4bb9b217.png

• Like 2

I am often looking for information from within the hundreds of tools I have purchased in Accordance over the past 22 years, but not able to find it.

It goes like this:

• I have a question about a topic or idea
  • I am not sure which resource to look in so
  • I enter a word or phrase in the Research tab
  • A gigantic list of resources appear
  • I begin to sift through the results
  • Don't find what I am looking for
  • Open up Google and type the question
  • Immediately find links to resources that have the answer
  • Wish I could better access this info in Accordance

Could Accordance improve the Research Tab to search smarter? Possibly using natural language?

https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/33085-improving-the-research-tab/

• Like 5

On 1/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, Ben Gladd said:

Make it more graphically oriented and feature it prominently in the app. I suspect that most don't use INFER because they either don't know what it is or they are unsure how to use it. 

The ability to generate inner-biblical (and extra-biblical) allusions with ease is amazing. Perhaps hundreds of dissertations could be written with the INFER command.

Agreed. Would love to use this feature, but I usually forget how to use it effectively and have to go back to Richard Mansfield’s article INFER Search Beyond the Basics. Then I get caught up in walking through it and forget why I was there in the first place. :) Would love it to be a bit simpler. Seems that Bible Works once had a similar feature (USE tab?) that was more intuitive. 

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 1

Following up on what @William Cross wrote, I am still convinced this could help going forward:

I have been doing more theological research with ChatGPT and the results sometimes are just awesome. If something similar would be properly integrated into accordance and based on a solid database of documents, it could immensely improve research.

• Like 3

Like Ben Gladd suggested, I would love to see the Infer command get more development. I also would like Bible Works like features added to Accordance 

• Like 3

Maybe this is already in there somewhere and I just don't know how to access it, but it would be nice to have an interface to allow third-party app access to the Accordance engine.

For example, we could write an Excel macro to:

1. access Accordance to find all lexical forms in UBS5 for the book of John by frequency,
  2. sort the lexical forms, and
  3. go back to Accordance and grab the corresponding BDAG entries.

There would be some manual editing after that to reduce the BDAG entries to the appropriate glosses, and I can use the resulting table as a starting point to learn the vocab list for the book of John.

The idea is to use Accordance as the engine for Bible research. Lots can be done inside Accordance, of course, but this would open up more applications.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

it would be nice to have an interface to allow third-party app access to the Accordance engine.

Great idea! However, given the age of the Accordance desktop client, it might be an extremely difficult feature to expose. But ... since the web application (Accordance Cloud) is new and doesn't have a lot of baggage, and because there's probably already a server API in place to support the web client features, maybe Accordance can consider documenting it and supporting it for third-party use?

• Like 2

Audio Bible so I can simply listen as the Bible is read.

Sometimes I pick up on things I didn't before because of that. 

• Like 3