Main Features You’d Like to See in Accordance Desktop

Dr. Nathan Parker

I'd love to see User Notes and User Tools completely reworked, with the sort of standard formatting toolbar expected in any app that does word processing. I want to import and export all my User Notes at one time easily. I want to be able to create hyperlinkable footnotes in User Notes and Tools. I want to be able to imbed video in both. I want to be able to use styles that will create level headings instead of having to manually create headings. In fact, with a proper word processor, you could ditch Paper, which is cumbersome and frustrating. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 9

Imbed ChatGPT for searches and sermon creation 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

I'd love to see User Notes and User Tools completely reworked, with the sort of standard formatting toolbar expected in any app that does word processing. I want to import and export all my User Notes at one time easily. I want to be able to create hyperlinkable footnotes in User Notes and Tools. I want to be able to imbed video in both. I want to be able to use styles that will create level headings instead of having to manually create headings. In fact, with a proper word processor, you could ditch Paper, which is cumbersome and frustrating. 

I agree Papers needs work, but I do use it. It's just too convenient (as I use it) to be in Accordance and writing (versus two independent windows, two independent apps). I also like to store my notes, sermons, etc in the Accordance app. If Papers could be be reworked with more standard word processing features that would be awesome. I would also prefer footnotes over endnotes, so when I print a page I have access to them while speaking rather than having to turn to the end of the document. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

. . . with Unicode and right to left support

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Teddy24 said:

I also would like Bible Works like features added to Accordance

Which additional BibleWorks features would you like to see in Accordance?

Better import/export options is a biggie that has come up on the forums as well, especially in User Notes.

• Like 1

Accent marks can show how the Masoretic scribes phrased the test so perhaps have accordance automatically phrase based on the Hebrew accent marks?

• Like 3

On 1/10/2023 at 10:13 AM, mikeatnip said:

I am only a few months into Accordance. I use it daily and appreciate the many options, some of which I am sure that I do not even know about yet. One request I made a couple of weeks ago on this forum was the ability to export highlights. As this option is available in other softwares that I use, I assume it would not be a terribly hard thing to integrate. Thanks for having a listening ear to users!

Highlights are exportable. Find the Accordance Files/Highlights directory, and every highlight set that you use is there and can be shared. The only thing is that the highlight file is specific to a version. (I.e., if you use NA28, it won't work to highlight GNT.)

• Like 1

Since you asked... The attached 6 page document has some suggestions. Accordance is my primary Bible software tool, but the suggestions reflect why I keep going to BibleWorks or Logos for specific tasks. I await the Singularity of Bible software... 😜

Things I am hoping to see in the next Accordance version.docx

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mgvh said:

Highlights are exportable. Find the Accordance Files/Highlights directory, and every highlight set that you use is there and can be shared. The only thing is that the highlight file is specific to a version. (I.e., if you use NA28, it won't work to highlight GNT.)

I am thinking of exporting my highlights in (for example) Waltke and O'Connor's Syntax so that I can save them or print them as notes.

If I go to the Highlights folder, I see the "My Highlights.hlt" file, but I know of no way to pull out my highlights and print them or even see them separately as a set of points that I need to refresh myself with (I tried opening that file with Notepad++ but it must be encrypted). If I am missing something, let me know.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 3:23 PM, Gary Pauley said:

I agree Papers needs work, but I do use it. It's just too convenient (as I use it) to be in Accordance and writing (versus two independent windows, two independent apps). I also like to store my notes, sermons, etc in the Accordance app. If Papers could be be reworked with more standard word processing features that would be awesome. I would also prefer footnotes over endnotes, so when I print a page I have access to them while speaking rather than having to turn to the end of the document. 

Agreed. I've especially used Papers in Bible study preparation and it's nice to have everything centralized in one program. So, yes for the feature suggestions that have been made!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Better import/export options is a biggie that has come up on the forums as well, especially in User Notes.

+ 100!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mgvh said:

Since you asked... The attached 6 page document has some suggestions. Accordance is my primary Bible software tool, but the suggestions reflect why I keep going to BibleWorks or Logos for specific tasks. I await the Singularity of Bible software... 😜

Things I am hoping to see in the next Accordance version.docx 394.71 kB · 7 downloads

yes, excellent list! I find many of the things in it that I miss in BilbeWorks. The word and verse list managers are big ones, as well as an improved bar chart for analytics and improvements on on the gospel parallel modules. But all of your remarks are spot on. Thanks!

Just one question, though, Mark. If you have several version in parallel in a single pane and want to make a seconday one the primary one, you can do that by opening the dropdown menu in the uppr left corner and changing the primary version. I use that all the time. Or are you thinking about somethIng else?

• Like 4

To mjvh's excellent list, I would repeat—as this request has been made several times in the past—greater flexibility in the Scripture reference formatting: ability to specify which dividers for chapter and verse as well as language specific book names. I'm currently working on two articles in French, for two different publishers. In one, the verse division sceme is fine (i.e., Jn 3,16.21), but for the other, I have to manually change each reference, i.e., Jn 3.16,21. And for both, I have to change "John" to Jn. Every verse reference has to be modified! All this could be done easily in BibleWorks with the possibility of personalizing the setup the way you wanted it, and it was a huge time saver. This would be hugely appreciated!

• Like 4

Tagging for user Bibles and tools. TheWord free software has a way to tag user modules with keywords and morphology, so I assume it is doable in Accordance. But perhaps TheWord uses different code and method than Accordance. Would be very handy in my translation work to later check how I translate certain words, etc.

Edited by mikeatnip
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

Just one question, though, Mark. If you have several version in parallel in a single pane and want to make a seconday one the primary one, you can do that by opening the dropdown menu in the uppr left corner and changing the primary version. I use that all the time. Or are you thinking about somethIng else?

Yes, that's what I do for now. Just thinking a quick double-click would be faster, especially because I have so many versions.

• Like 3

Im adding this thread

i cant find it now but im sure in the past i read a thread where someone requested that now we can display titles/heading in the text, it would be useful to be able to add a note to the book of the bible title, to the chapter number or even to a heading to a section within a chapter. 

Its not a major feature but i think this is a feature that isnt just limited to the full fat version but also needs to be added to all the semi skinned versions as well.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

It would be great to have some kind of vocab flashcard module for learning and maintaining the Biblical languages (something like a basic quizlet). I believe I would use that as often as I opened accordance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tswope said:

It would be great to have some kind of vocab flashcard module for learning and maintaining the Biblical languages (something like a basic quizlet). I believe I would use that as often as I opened accordance.

+ 1

• Like 1

Thanks! In the meantime, don’t forget you can open Quizlet in the Accordance Web Browser as a workaround.

• Like 1

It would be great to be able to right click a module and include in the contextual menu the option to move that module into another folder. Sometimes moving the modules via click and drag is not reliable. However, including a "Mover To" command within a contactual menu would increase the reliability of moving modules around. 

• Like 1