Main Accordance 14 Issues Still Needing Resolution

Dr. Nathan Parker

4 hours ago, mhenderson said:

I've been using Accordance since 2001 and have amassed a considerable library over that time. I am repeatedly getting the beachball when doing simple searches on Bible texts (14.0.4 on Mac 13.1). I don't remember this in the past. There are a number of converging things which are nagging my concern muscles:

• degraded performance of software
  • the website is still prominently advertising version 13
  • new ownership
  • at least one long-time person has left the company

I am hoping for the best. I don't want to lose Accordance. I am sure there are plenty of folks never on the forums that would like to have their fears relieved. Get out ahead of it would be my advice. If releasing 14 too early was a goof, put it in an email and on the website and own it – temporary inconveniences are survivable, relatable, and easily forgotten. A trend which indicates a questionable future might give the "other guys" the bright idea for a great deal on a crossover to switch and steal otherwise loyal folks who have to look at a realistic future where access to their resources is critical.

It seems to me that they might finally be planning to get things back to normal. Nathan has been collecting the many issues and bugs. If the programming team shows the same eagerness to sort out these issues (as they have failed to do the last year or two since I've been reporting bugs - first by email and later on the forums), maybe we could get an Accordance experience as before within 6 months to 1 year. 

This trouble did not start with version 14, I already had many problems with version 13 on Windows, which I did not have on 12. I anticipated the premature release of Accordance 14, and asked prior to release whether they were planning to properly test version 14 well before release. 

I was told that they always test. I joined the testing and we sure tested it before release. But in vain. most of the bugs were not corrected before release. 

I am really hoping that we will have a virtually bug free version 14 before the end of the year.

Edited by Anonymous
  • Like 1

A couple more crash issues:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mhenderson said:

I've been using Accordance since 2001 and have amassed a considerable library over that time. I am repeatedly getting the beachball when doing simple searches on Bible texts (14.0.4 on Mac 13.1). I don't remember this in the past. There are a number of converging things which are nagging my concern muscles:

• degraded performance of software
  • the website is still prominently advertising version 13
  • new ownership
  • at least one long-time person has left the company

I am hoping for the best. I don't want to lose Accordance. I am sure there are plenty of folks never on the forums that would like to have their fears relieved. Get out ahead of it would be my advice. If releasing 14 too early was a goof, put it in an email and on the website and own it – temporary inconveniences are survivable, relatable, and easily forgotten. A trend which indicates a questionable future might give the "other guys" the bright idea for a great deal on a crossover to switch and steal otherwise loyal folks who have to look at a realistic future where access to their resources is critical.

I’m getting the beachball with some searches as well and reported that one. So far, now that I’ve been brought aboard, I’ve been trying to actively collect and report bugs, and our developers have been doing a great job at squashing a range of bugs with each update. We’re working to resolve the remaining bugs in 14 and work to gradually advertise 14.

I’ve had a chance to personally meet and sit in on meetings with the new ownership, as well as there are still some longtime Accordance staff members I’ve been working with during my brief time here. As one who is both an Accordance user and now working for Accordance, I’m extremely confident in Accordance’s future. We’ll continue to improve Accordance 14 and some other exciting stuff in 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

Here's another problem. The tabs sometimes get stuck on a certain text and don't switch to the selected text:

image.png.6ef0a2c32183b0f8c685e1640f7fd530.png

I have switched to Mishnah English as highlighted above, but the tab doesn't switch from Hebrew to the newly selected English module.

****update**** The problem was that this module was not properly installed by easy install, even though it showed in the library. After a restart easy install re-installed the module and it works. 

So this is simply another easy install bug. It sometimes freezes the program and does not fully install what you expect.

Edited by Anonymous
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Set Info Pane Options

Hypertext

Choosing Text and Alternate Text does not work / hold / retain selection, nor can the default keep the option.

E.g.:

Here is what I set as default:

image.png.359ec93d680a0ecc8babd01d1619ca4f.png

BUT

when I hover over an OT hyperlink, I get NRSV; Alt Text (holding CTRL while hovering) brings up Hebrew.

When I hover a NT hyperlink, I get NRSV, and not text displays when using CTRL to show Alt text.

If I close the Info Pane and reopen it, then I get:

OT: Greek > Alt Text in Hebrew

NT: Greek > no Alt Text display

And now when I check the Info Pane Options, it has changed to:

image.png.89339ef44ebc6420e1643e20b1ffd210.png

The problem is at least in part due to the order of texts in my Library. If I move up the Greek Bible, it changes the behavior.

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 3

Here is an issue I ran into. I was able to do a work around with the Edited section, but it should allow you to check Content Updates straight from the Utilities drop down menu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

Here is an issue I ran into. I was able to do a work around with the Edited section, but it should allow you to check Content Updates straight from the Utilities drop down menu. 

Hi Jonathon, did you try running easy install first and then updates? Until they fix this, that sequence has worked. For me, I have it set to automatically check for updates every day and it seems to do that properly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Erhard said:

Hi Jonathon, did you try running easy install first and then updates? Until they fix this, that sequence has worked. For me, I have it set to automatically check for updates every day and it seems to do that properly.

Yes, I did this order and it worked. But I wanted to make sure it was known. 

• Like 2

User import tool bug 1.

Import PDF messes up Hebrew and English text. The PDF is a fully usable, searchable format. NOT auto scanned or anything like that. Here is the PDF:

image.png.13fdfeaf4efac193da23bdbca6bad8ee.png

Here is the Accordance tool after import:

image.thumb.png.632f69072c31efd426c54041ec8609f6.png

English text lost and Hebrew text messed up. 

• Like 1

User import tool bug 2.

Import TXT file worked fairly well, but some of the Hebrew letter and vowels were reversed in order:

TXT file, CORRECT:

image.png.6d8be7619d00b862a2080eac9139346a.png

Accordance User tool imported, INCORRECT:

image.png.cf416869fc53b737dab55e3a02f53bcf.png

• Like 1

User tool import bug 3.

HTML not working well. Either messes with the links and format, or does not import at all.

I used the same text from above, saved as HTML and it freezes Accordance and doesn't import.

Do I need a special program to make the HTML files?

Edited by Anonymous
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, miketisdell said:

Will this be fixed soon?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, miketisdell said:

Will this be fixed soon?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:55 AM, miketisdell said:

Will this be fixed soon?

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting these! I don’t have an ETA on these specific bug fixes yet, but it’s good you reported them here so our developers can see them and work on them.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, mgvh said:

Set Info Pane Options

Hypertext

Choosing Text and Alternate Text does not work / hold / retain selection, nor can the default keep the option.

E.g.:

Here is what I set as default:

image.png.359ec93d680a0ecc8babd01d1619ca4f.png

BUT

when I hover over an OT hyperlink, I get NRSV; Alt Text (holding CTRL while hovering) brings up Hebrew.

When I hover a NT hyperlink, I get NRSV, and not text displays when using CTRL to show Alt text.

If I close the Info Pane and reopen it, then I get:

OT: Greek > Alt Text in Hebrew

NT: Greek > no Alt Text display

And now when I check the Info Pane Options, it has changed to:

image.png.89339ef44ebc6420e1643e20b1ffd210.png

The problem is at least in part due to the order of texts in my Library. If I move up the Greek Bible, it changes the behavior.

Same issues on Mac! 14.0.4. Ventura, I'm back to 13...

• Like 1