Main Accordance 14 Issues Still Needing Resolution

Dr. Nathan Parker

@Lawrence Looks like you’re on 14.0.4 now. Great! Keep reporting any issues you find.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

@Lawrence Are you having issues updating to 14.0.4? What happens if you download the installer from the Accordance website?

The update went quite smoothly, aside from being unable to auto-close the 'compatibility app'. I'm now running Accordance 14.0.4. (See version number in the top-right corner of the screen-capture below.)

If you were referring to my earlier post about version 14.0.1, that was a typo, which I've since corrected (oops, sorry - but an excellent catch on your part).

image.png.f092ab95c707f2bdcf90b30d3b3faa49.png

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11

Dark Mode still leaves the ribbon-bar icons black-on-black if the item is not selected. See picture below.

image.png.abadb4d79ad05e08f04a247e5466b7dd.png

+1 Same here

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11

'Search for word' makes Accordance search for verses instead.

The highlighting doesn't show in the screenshot, but I clicked on "Words" in Search -> Search For.

I found this bug when I wanted to search for genitives of θέλω but didn't know what to type.

1. Launch Accordance, accept the update from 14.0.3 to 14.0.4. Accept the offer to close Accordance. Also accept the offer to close other apps. Closing the 'compatibility' app failed, choose 'retry'; fail again, choose 'ignore'. Installation proceeds to completion. Accept 'launch Accordance' at the end of the installation sequence.

2. Search bar starts with Words in the "Choose to search for words or verses" dropdown, enter θελω in the search box.

3. Select <Search -> Search For -> Words>  from the top menu.

• In the search bar, "Words" changes to "Verses" and θελω to qelw.
  • Selecting <Search -> Search For -> Verses> after that has no further effect on the search bar.

4. Repeat step 2 to reset the search.

5. Select <Search -> Search For -> Verses>  from the top menu.

• In the search bar,  no change to "Words" but θελω changes to qelw.
  • Selecting <Search -> Search For -> Words> after that changes "Words" to "Verses" and leaves the search string as qelw.

image.png.cef36965f3123abfb9296cd9b4051bf1.png

+1

I'm experiencing the same thing using Windows 11; Accordance v14.0.4

• Like 3

It occurs when all other choices in search are greyed out and the only choices are words or verses otherwise it works.image.png.52394756ad90da85a1e8893e69253b34.png 

However you can still choose words in the drop down menu on the search bar.....

image.png.24c8bb44a266df9a80da8c4d7e61fe91.png

image.png

• Like 2

I find it incredible that Accordance keeps releasing bug filled versions. It is probably very complicated. But still, they're supposed to properly test everything before releasing. Up until this point should have been beta testing.

I still can't check for updates.

Accordance still crashes on live click.

Dark mode still not good on windows, with all my reports still valid.

I've reported about 50 bugs in this thread. One was corrected (Thanks!), possibly a second one.

The rest seems to still be bugs.

Edited by Anonymous
  • Like 2

The pericope Titles in the Info Pane are still dead.  In 13 you could click them in a tagged Bible and get the notes in a separate pane.  In an untagged Bible it would open up "outlines of Bible Books".  I can't get it to work on Windows or Mac OS Ventura. 

• Like 3

On 1/11/2023 at 1:23 AM, Nathan Parker said:

I’ve confirmed the apostrophe issue will be resolved in 14.0.4.

@Nathan Parker14.0.4 installed, and modules containing apostrophes are now successfully installed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anonymous said:

I find it incredible that Accordance keeps releasing bug filled versions. It is probably very complicated. But still, they're supposed to properly test everything before releasing. Up until this point should have been beta testing.

Have you considered becoming a beta tester?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

By the way, 14.0.4 was released today. Let me know if that resolves some of your issues.

Fixed the download issue with apostrophes. Many thanks!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, G Springer said:

I created a new user tool.

Added some text with scriptures.

It automatically created the scripture links.

When I update and then click on the scripture links - Accordance crashes.

Works fine with older user tools.

Still doing this with most current beta.

I have the same problem with multiple User Tools.

Hyperlinks in old tools (created in v. 13 or prior) seem to work fine.

If I edit/update a User Tool in 14.0.4 (General Tool), hovering over a verse hyperlink shows nothing in instant details. Clicking on a hyperlink crashes Accordance.

If I convert the General Tool to a Commentary, verse hyperlinks show in instant details again, but refer to a completely inaccurate verse reference (even though it is coded accurately).

Edited by Max Carlton
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, accord said:

Text and Tool display preferences are still not under user control. 

Can you be more specific?  The issues I was having in this regard are fixed with 14.0.4.  

• Like 1

I saw, last night, that ACC 14.04 is now out.

I have not been using Acc for a while since it was too buggy.

I updated it and have used it today. So far, it is good. I have not ran across any bugs but I will let you know.

There was one thing to mention.

Did a search for the word conqueror and it came up with Romans 8:37.

When I.did quick view and hovered my cursor over the word and instead of being GK it came up with a Hebrew word.

But when I moved and came back it fixed it.

Second, the dark mode still has the dark symbols on the tool bar.

Other than that, good job so far on the fixes. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

I saw, last night, that ACC 14.04 is now out.

I have not been using Acc for a while since it was too buggy.

I updated it and have used it today. So far, it is good. I have not ran across any bugs but I will let you know.

There was one thing to mention.

Did a search for the word conqueror and it came up with Romans 8:37.

When I.did quick view and hovered my cursor over the word and instead of being GK it came up with a Hebrew word.

But when I moved and came back it fixed it.

Second, the dark mode still has the dark symbols on the tool bar.

Other than that, good job so far on the fixes. 

+1

I hope they're able to fix the dark symbols by the next update as it seems like an easy fix.  I know my sensitive eyes would sure appreciate it.

• Like 4

The info pane text selections for Primary and alternate texts still do not work. It does not stick to the correct one that is entered.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Keep the reports coming.

In terms of bug fixes, we’re trying to balance getting enough of a round of bug fixes into each release, while also trying to get each release out in a decent timeframe and not unnecessarily delay releases. Striking that balance can be difficult, but we’re getting there. As we have shown, 14.0.4 did take care of a round of issues, and we’re already at work on another release as we speak.

Our beta testers are doing an excellent job testing our beta versions and reporting feedback to us, but if a few of you feel called to join the beta testing team so that you can test and contribute feedback to our beta releases (in addition to our public releases), PM me with your interest, and I’ll see what can be done on adding a few of you in. The beta does run independently from your public release version of Accordance, so you’ll be able to run both apps on your machine at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Keep the reports coming.

In terms of bug fixes, we’re trying to balance getting enough of a round of bug fixes into each release, while also trying to get each release out in a decent timeframe and not unnecessarily delay releases. Striking that balance can be difficult, but we’re getting there. As we have shown, 14.0.4 did take care of a round of issues, and we’re already at work on another release as we speak.

@Nathan Parker

I get that. But if it comes down to a release date or big fixes, I would encourage bug fixes first. I can wait a little longer for a release simply to.have a smooth running software.

But Accordance seems to be getting back in stride since 14.0.4 which I am glad to see. 

Its like the old saying, “there is fast, cheap, and good. You can pick two.” ;)

In Accordance I will take cheap and good which means it might not necessarily be fast in rolling out. But I do love the speed by which Accordance works. It is fast and that is great.

My other caution is don't bog the system down with features to compete against the other guys. It will just add to bloatware. Instead focus on the strength: Accordance's blazing speed and original language!

My suggestion to avoid bloat is to team up with others who are already in the field. Want to have a writer sync, see if you could team up with Collabora office to run a Google like system with LibreOffice instead.

Note sync? there have been several good suggestion but I am waiting to see Acc. own note cloud offerings.

Just my .02. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:54 AM, Lawrence said:

@brazyl

Just under the Technical Support section in the forum, there are two major sections called "Bug Swatters - Mac" and "Bug Swatters - Windows". Are these what you're looking for?

No, I was describing a problem, not asking for information.  I was not asking "where do I post bug reports".  I was saying "the bug reports are not in a logical or obvious place, and therefore this creates friction, and the friction naturally reduces the timeliness and number of bug reports.

If you're already accustomed to posting bug reports in the forum, you might think that it's the obvious place, but ask 1000 new Accordance users where to post bugs, and how many of them will say "obviously you'd look for the forum to post bugs"?  I think it will be very few who think of that as the first place to look.  Perhaps none. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 5:24 AM, ukfraser said:

Have you considered becoming a beta tester?

How does one do that?  

And can you run both a beta and a stable version of Accordance on the same machine without any conflicts? 

To make this practical, I think you'd need to have separate preferences etc. but have them share all the same modules.  (If you don't use all your regular modules with the beta version, your usage won't simulate your real usage, and so won't be worth much.)

If Accordance (the company) can make it easy to test out beta versions of the software (without interfering with the ability to use a stable version when the beta fails) they might be able to greatly increase the number and quality of early bug reports.   Instead of certain people _being_ beta testers, anyone could just download the beta version and see for themself if it's ready or not for their usage patterns.  It could _**greatly**_ reduce the frustration that users experience who are expecting the early release versions to be essentially bug-free.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 4:12 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Good feedback on submitting bug reports. I’ll ask developers on ways we can streamline this in the future.

Thanks!  I think this involves both the app developers and whoever is in charge of the web site.  

Ideally I'd like to see something in the App's Help menu, _**and**_ something on the web site in the Support menu. 

Also, is crash data being sent in automatically?  I don't recall ever seeing a prompt for permission to send it, but it could be very useful if the developers received that information. 

• Like 1