Main Accordance 14 Issues Still Needing Resolution

Dr. Nathan Parker

On 1/9/2023 at 8:52 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

Another issue I am having is downloading and installing new purchases. 

I can download but when I install, I get an error:

cannot complete an operation in the file "C:/programData/Accordance/Modules/Tools/Clarke's Commentary.atool", since that file is locked. 

Not sure what that means. Thanks. 

After uninstalling v13 and installing v14 back in November to get a clean start, I have been unable to download and install 24 (previously) purchased resources due to this("atool) error. Several interactions with support always result with... Just wait, we'll get to it.

The resources are:

Barnes' Notes (NT)
Barnes' Notes (OT)
Believer's Commentary
Bird's Eye View
Clarke's Commentary
Dr. J's BSM
Faith's Checkbook
Gray-Worker's Commentary
Greek Strong's
Halley's Handbook
Hebrew Strong's
Lincoln's Religion
Lincoln's Use of Bible
Maclaren's Expositions
Muller-Works
M'Cheyne Family Readings
M'Cheyne Secret Readings
Nave's
Nicoll-Expositor's Bible
Pensees
People's NT
Schaff's History
Smith's Dictionary
Wesley's Notes

Hopefully they will be able to once again provide me with access to my purchased resources.

So sad...

• Like 1

The issue with modules with apostrophe’s not installing will be resolved in 14.0.4.

I combined all the syntax threads into a single thread to make it easier for developers to address:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I combined all the syntax threads into a single thread to make it easier for developers to address:

I made a combined post which is less confusing, as it eliminates the back-and-forth discussions, and simply shows the bugs.

• Like 2

Thanks! I’ll make sure developers see it.

• Like 1

Crash logs are not accessible after an Accordance Crash, either through console.log or by opening the file in a text editor like TextEdit.

• Like 1

One of the underlying problems that needlessly slows down bug fixing is that it is impossible to find any documented place to file bug reports simply by looking in any of the places we would expect to find such a thing listed.  It is only possible to find with a lot of hunting & poking around.  (Why did I have to look around in the Forum—which is not a normal place for bug reports— to find one topic that eventually led me to this thread?)  

For example:

1. The Accordance app has a (relatively) easy way to submit content corrections in the Help menu, but nothing there lists bug reports.

2. The Accordance web site has nothing in the menu listing bug reports.

3.  Even the support page has nothing:   https://www.accordancebible.com/sources-of-support/

Unless a user can find the place to file bug reports in a matter of seconds, then there is unnecessary friction.  The solution should ideally include all three of the above places giving users a way to get to a page (or part of the app) where they can file a bug report, but at least one of them would be a huge improvement over the current situation. 

Quality and timely bug reports are critical to producing high-quality software.  Any impediments to bug reports are therefore also an impediment to high-quality software.  Making bug reporting smoother by removing the impediments will result in higher quality in the Accordance software.  Therefore please take this problem seriously.

• Like 2

@brazyl

Just under the Technical Support section in the forum, there are two major sections called "Bug Swatters - Mac" and "Bug Swatters - Windows". Are these what you're looking for?

image.png.e0cf0c82d98df9d3a275364e7478620b.png

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 1

I'm not going to read through this whole thread. But one outstanding issue that is a pain, but not debilitating, is the LONG delay for popups. All popups, not just error messages. So, for example, when I first scroll a parallels module, the app freezes for what feels like 10 minutes, spinning beachball and all, while I wait for the silly pop up to remind me that I can scroll the texts together. Or, when I randomly click some space on a tagged text which the app doesn't like and I get the message "In order to search for words there must be a valid selection in the pane". This one comes up all the time. All. The. Time. And it's useless. 

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.55.31.png

• Like 2

Another longstanding 13 and 14 bug:

Good feedback on submitting bug reports. I’ll ask developers on ways we can streamline this in the future.

I just tried to set the info pane properties - set the main text to LSB and the second to NRSV. I set it to default to those settings. It did not take. I did that 2 times and then it crashed and will not start up again. I had to safe start it and then it worked again. When I set the main Text as LSB and Alternate to ESV, it changes them for the next time.

I set it to ESV for the Main and then LSB for the Alternate and got LSB for the Main and NASB 95 for the Alternate. I used that as the default and the next time it switched them again. NASB 95 for the Main and LSB for the Alternate.

Accordance Crash Log
Crashed at: 16:34:28:508 On: 18 of Jan, 2023  Mountain Standard Time

Accordance 14.0.3 (14.0.3.0)
Windows 10 (10.0.19045)
RAM: 11999MB free of 16172MB total
Disc: 46GB free of 223GB total

Address:   $004597BA

Backtrace: 
  $004597BA
  $00477798
  $00478904
  $00479692
  $00712BBF
  $0085274B
  $00852077
  $0083E2FD
  $0085107F
  $0089F5AC
  $0089F9C6
  $008A037F
  $00532DBF
  $00530D94
  $007658E5
  $00764F3E
  $00C025B3

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:11 PM, William Cross said:

Accordance 14.0.3 Preference Settings for Text take a long time to set and do not stick after an Accordance Restart. 

Both of these problems persist in 14.0.4

On 1/14/2023 at 11:04 PM, William Cross said:

The macOS Dictionary Service in Accordance, when clicking on a word using the trackpad and 3 fingers, selects and looks up the wrong word. See the attached video.

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 1

By the way, 14.0.4 was released today. Let me know if that resolves some of your issues.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

By the way, 14.0.4 was released today. Let me know if that resolves some of your issues.

It does not seem to have corrected the issues I reported. Hopefully that will come next time?

I'll let you know if I find any of my reports to be solved.

• Like 1

Hopefully so. Our developers will likely need to spend some extra time addressing syntax errors, maybe in its own update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

It resolved the issue I posted about here: 

It's fixed, at least on my system. I was able to install everything that had been problematic before.

• Like 1

Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11

'Search for word' makes Accordance search for verses instead.

The highlighting doesn't show in the screenshot, but I clicked on "Words" in Search -> Search For.

I found this bug when I wanted to search for genitives of θέλω but didn't know what to type.

1. Launch Accordance, accept the update from 14.0.3 to 14.0.4. Accept the offer to close Accordance. Also accept the offer to close other apps. Closing the 'compatibility' app failed, choose 'retry'; fail again, choose 'ignore'. Installation proceeds to completion. Accept 'launch Accordance' at the end of the installation sequence.

2. Search bar starts with Words in the "Choose to search for words or verses" dropdown, enter θελω in the search box.

3. Select <Search -> Search For -> Words>  from the top menu.

• In the search bar, "Words" changes to "Verses" and θελω to qelw.
  • Selecting <Search -> Search For -> Verses> after that has no further effect on the search bar.

4. Repeat step 2 to reset the search.

5. Select <Search -> Search For -> Verses>  from the top menu.

• In the search bar,  no change to "Words" but θελω changes to qelw.
  • Selecting <Search -> Search For -> Words> after that changes "Words" to "Verses" and leaves the search string as qelw.

image.png.cef36965f3123abfb9296cd9b4051bf1.png

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 2

Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11

Dark Mode still leaves the ribbon-bar icons black-on-black if the item is not selected. See picture below.

image.png.abadb4d79ad05e08f04a247e5466b7dd.png

• Like 3

@Lawrence Are you having issues updating to 14.0.4? What happens if you download the installer from the Accordance website?