Making a User Bible with different book names

TYA

Great day everyone,

If I want to make a User Bible as a .txt file, and I want to change the abbreviations for certain book names... for example, instead of Mar 1:1 I want LGM 1:1 (and to use "LGM" everywhere that "Mar" is traditionally used for "Mark"), and instead of Rev 1:1, I want "Hul 1:1", can I do this in Accordance?  Or am I stuck having to use only the traditional book names, "Mat" "Mar" "Luk" "Joh"?

Thanks

Hi @TYA,

I think you are stuck with it needing to match. That said, what Bible mapping are you using? What I am stuck using are totally different abbreviations. I had thought it had to do with how Accordance does it, but now I think it has to do with the Bible map I use?

Kristin

• Like 1

Thanks, Kristin.  By "mapping" I'm borrowing a term from a previous program, BibleWorks.  But if you are correct that I cannot substitute something like "LGM" everywhere that "Mar" appears, that would answer my question.

In the .txt file, I think you have to use English book name abbreviations that Accordance recognizes. But what you can do is supply a file of alternate book names when you import. This is intended to allow foreign language Bibles to have native book names, but could be used for something else. The format I used for this is one line per book, with a tab between the standard book name and the alternate book name:

Matthew Matteo

Mark    Marco

Luke    Luca

John    Giovanni

Acts    Atti

Romans  Romani

1Corinthians    1Corinzi

2Corinthians    2Corinzi

Galatians       Galati

Hi @jlm,

I sort of understand, but not quite. Are you saying this alternate book name is a name used on your actual user Bible? Or is the alternate list a separate list? In your example, it sounds like it would ultimately say "Matteo 1:1" and not "Matthew Matteo 1:1" is this correct?

3 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @jlm,

I sort of understand, but not quite. Are you saying this alternate book name is a name used on your actual user Bible? Or is the alternate list a separate list? In your example, it sounds like it would ultimately say "Matteo 1:1" and not "Matthew Matteo 1:1" is this correct?

Yes, @Kristin, it works like other foreign language Bibles do in Accordance: the alternate book names are displayed unless “use English book names” is selected in the advanced display settings. Here’s an example of an Italian User Bible on my phone:

DC3FB045-CC7B-4276-8A1F-ECBC5CACE66D.jpeg.755aeaae5f879ca93b09b1a2df0bf134.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 2:20 AM, TYA said:

Great day everyone,

If I want to make a User Bible as a .txt file, and I want to change the abbreviations for certain book names... for example, instead of Mar 1:1 I want LGM 1:1 (and to use "LGM" everywhere that "Mar" is traditionally used for "Mark"), and instead of Rev 1:1, I want "Hul 1:1", can I do this in Accordance?  Or am I stuck having to use only the traditional book names, "Mat" "Mar" "Luk" "Joh"?

Thanks

It sounds like you want to do language localisation.

https://www.accordancebible.com/light-the-lamp-may-2022-edition/

• Like 1

Thank you all.  Kristin, JLM, Lawrence, I've got it now.  JLM, your statement above, "This is intended to allow foreign language Bibles to have native book names" is what did it for me.  (Fabian) also helped me with this.  Thanks to you all!

• Like 1