highlight exporting in tools

Mike Atnip

I am new to Accordance and like many of its features. But I must say that I was disappointed to find that after highlighting text in a tool that I could not export my highlights as notes, like can be done with other software. I would assume that since other software has this option that it would be easy, but I am not a code writer. 🙂 Is this something that will be coming to Accordance in future releases possibly? Thanks, Mike

@mikeatnip

Good question.

It looks like the way Accordance does this is to do a search on the style, then do whatever you like with the resulting set of verses. See <https://www.accordancebible.com/finding-your-highlights/>.

To search on a style, put [style xyz] in the search bar, where "xyz" is the name of the style (e.g. the default "important", or the names of the Symbol highlights, such as "Mountain").

Accordance started off as a Mac application, and this is a very 'Mac' way of doing things - instead of having a separate set of processes and files for highlighting, the developers find and reuse an existing process. It might take some work to figure out what process they've reused, but this approach helps keep the number of things to remember down and increases the value of each process. For example, you can easily combine style, range and word searches: "[style Mountain] [range Matthew-John] olives".

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply @Lawrence I was particularly wanting to export from a non-Bible tool. I can find the highlights (using the search function) in non-Bible tools, but I have to move through the whole text going from one highlight hit to the next. In some software (Kindle, Logos for example) one can simply and quickly export all notes and highlights into a separate document. I use this capability to highlight important sections and then can export those highlights to have a list of quotes and notes that can easily be read over to, well, "hit the highlights." 🙂 The help section explicitly says that highlights cannot be exported, so I am just offering the possibility as a feature request.

• Like 1

Or, maybe I am not using the search function correctly. Is there a way to have a non-Bible tool pull up all highlighted (and only highlighted) text? I can only find highlights within the text, going from hit to hit but with all the non-highlighted text still in place.

• Like 1

@mikeatnip

Hmm, that brings up the flip side that sometimes comes with the Mac style: things are either easy or impossible.

A possible workaround is to use 'stacks' instead of highlighting if you don't mind having a single-colour highlight set.

8 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@mikeatnip

Hmm, that brings up the flip side that sometimes comes with the Mac style: things are either easy or impossible.

A possible workaround is to use 'stacks' instead of highlighting if you don't mind having a single-colour highlight set.

Good idea! I could do both, highlight in the file, but then also export to a stack. Now that I have read through about half of two books, highlighting as I go, I find a solution ... 🙂

• Like 1