Custom module display names

A. Smith

This has been suggested before but I'm here to vote again and bump it to the top (hopefully). Often the name I think of for an accordance module is not the name accordance uses for the module. I understand that accordance would need to preserve its own identification of the modules for 1,000 reasons. However, it would be amazing to be able to at least change the display name (and thus search name) for a module. As an example, the Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels is called Dict. of Jesus & Gospels. But the standard abbreviation across most academic writing is DJG. I am constantly searching for these more standard abbreviations. The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is typically called either GE or MGS. Neither of these abbreviations get any hits. New Bible Dictionary, NBD. No hits. Anchor Bible Commentary, AB or ABC. No hits. I could go on. Bottom line, if accordance doesn't want to make the change to module abbreviations, no problem. I can think of many reasons why this is a hassle and not worth the effort on your end. But it would be great if we could change the name, or add tags with our own names or abbreviations. 

• Like 2

Just my two cents, if the names were changed the way you are describing, I would literally not have a clue what is in my library anymore. Also, with names so short, I can see multiple things fighting for the title of "GE" or whatever. So I am ok with this idea if it is adding tags, I can see that as being useful, but an actual replacement sounds like a headache, to be frank.

Kristin

7 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Just my two cents, if the names were changed the way you are describing, I would literally not have a clue what is in my library anymore. Also, with names so short, I can see multiple things fighting for the title of "GE" or whatever. So I am ok with this idea if it is adding tags, I can see that as being useful, but an actual replacement sounds like a headache, to be frank.

Kristin

To be clear, I'm suggesting a user option to change the display name (or tags) not necessarily that Accordance change their scheme. I can imagine many reasons why that is not optimal. 

• Like 1

Just now, A. Smith said:

To be clear, I'm suggesting a user option to change the display name (or tags) not necessarily that Accordance change their scheme. I can imagine many reasons why that is not optimal. 

Though, if Accordance were to change, I suggest going with SBL's style list of abbreviations rather than our own arbitrary ideas. For example, I know most people refer to the Brill dictionary as BrillDAG, and Brill suggests the abbreviation MGS (which no one uses!) and SBL suggests GE (which is reflective of the editor's own choice). 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, A. Smith said:

The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is typically called either GE or MGS.

1997629159_Screenshot2022-12-18at12_07_04.jpg.e4e96a2a7793db57159932b8379d22eb.jpg

MGS works for me, but in general I like your suggestion. Another Bible software program lets you define aliases like this for resources in your library, so that searching for the alias will find the resource.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jlm said:

1997629159_Screenshot2022-12-18at12_07_04.jpg.e4e96a2a7793db57159932b8379d22eb.jpg

MGS works for me, but in general I like your suggestion. Another Bible software program lets you define aliases like this for resources in your library, so that searching for the alias will find the resource.

thanks for catching that. I haven’t actually searched doe that one in this way.