Sophocles: Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods

Enoch

This Lexicon seems essential to a koine Greek. I am wondering why Accordance does not have it. It must be public domain.  So I suppose that Archive.org may have it.  I notice that Logos is selling Sophocles Lexicon for about $20. But I like to have as much as possible all my eggs in one Bible program basket, which means Accordance.  (No, this Sophocles is not the ancient tragic poet like Aeschylus and Euripides).

• Like 2

Hi @Enoch,

If it is public domain, maybe someone can put it on the Accordance Exchange? Surely someone has it.

Take care,
Kristin

• Like 1

There is a PDF here: https://archive.org/details/cu31924021609395/

It’s a clean scan, and would be a good starting point for OCR, but I didn’t find an etext, which is what would be needed for an Accordance module or a Lexicon User Tool. Somebody would have to spend time cleaning up the OCR and tagging it. And I’m not sure it’s worthwhile, because Lampe has mostly made this obsolete.

I don't know that a new lexicon makes an old one obsolete.  You get different opinions by different scholars.  And in particular, with regard to Greek, it may well be that the old scholar was the product of an age which emphasized the classical languages, wherein children learned those languages as children. And as is well known, children have a gift for languages which is lost as adults or lost at about the age of 12.  Children can learn languages automatically without ever memorizing any paradigms or even knowing about them.

Lampe was born in 1912, so he would also have learned Greek as a child. Perhaps his lexicon didn’t make Sophocles’s obsolete, but the only way either one is likely to get into Accordance is if a team of volunteers (or a highly dedicated individual) makes an e-text for them. 

Lampe’s A Patristic Greek Lexicon appears to be limited to post NT documents, whereas Sophocles covers 146 BC & on into medieval period.  The period 146 BC through 1st century AD is a very important era for NT Lexicography.  So, I don't see Lampe as a replacement of Sophocles.  I have used Lampe before, but I don't recall ever having heard of Sophocles until recently.  I snapped it up for about $20 from Logos.  I haven't read any reviews of it, however. But I can't see how Accordance could fail to have Sophocles in its Bible-Lexicon arsenal.  And I can't believe that producing this is beyond the technical capabilities of Accordance.  Is the Accordance staff inferior to Logos in Bible software, Logos being in fact a general publisher in contrast with Accordance which specializes more on Bible? I don't think so.

Edited by Enoch

Evangelinos Apostolides Sophocles (Greek: Ευαγγελινός Αποστολίδης Σοφοκλής; March 8, 1807.

He was born in Greece.  As a result of studying Greek at the U of Minnesota, I came to the opinion that there the persons who knew Greek best were Greeks.

Here is a list of works (WickedPedia):

Literary works[edit]

• A Greek Grammar for the Use of Learners. Hartford, 1835; (Digitized).
  • First Lessons In Greek. Hartford. 1839; H Huntington (cf)
  • A Romaic Grammar. Hartford, 1842; (Digitized); revised edition 1860.
  • A Catalogue of Greek Verbs for the Use of Colleges. Hartford, 1844; (Digitized).
  • Romaic or Modern Greek Grammar. Boston, 1857, (Digitized).
  • History of the Greek alphabet with remarks on Greek orthography and pronunciation. George Nichols, Cambridge, 1848, (Digitized).
  • History of the Greek Alphabet and Pronunciation. Cambridge, 1848; Second edition, revised. John Bartlett, Cambridge, 1854, (Digitized).
  • A Glossary of Later and Byzantine Greek. Cambridge, 1860, (Digitized).
  • Greek lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine periods from B. C. 146 to A. D. 1100. Boston, 1870; Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, 1887, (Digitized). Reprinted: Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1914; New York, 1957 in two volumes.
Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Enoch said:

This Lexicon seems essential to a koine Greek. I am wondering why Accordance does not have it. It must be public domain.  So I suppose that Archive.org may have it.  I notice that Logos is selling Sophocles Lexicon for about $20. But I like to have as much as possible all my eggs in one Bible program basket, which means Accordance.  (No, this Sophocles is not the ancient tragic poet like Aeschylus and Euripides).

+1

I'll add it to my list. If it is public domain, anyone who wants to attempt a User Tool in the meantime is welcome to try it!