English Dictionary Module

tswope

Concise Oxford English Dictionary, 11th ed.  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would you benefit from having a recent, scholarly dictionary of the English language as an Accordance module? (Assuming that it would be impossible to get the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. 1989)

Oxford would be great. But something that discussed history of meaning and was citable for academic papers. I would not be apposed to an English Grammar of some depth as well. 

• Like 1

I feel ridiculous asking this question, as I think I am missing something obvious, but the texts we are using were primarily written in Hebrew and Greek. Why would these modules be helpful?

• Like 1

I think that's a fair question @Kristin. For me, I know that each English translator chooses whatever English word (or cluster of English words) that best translates the original author's intent (from Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic). But, even as an English speaker, I don't have an exhaustive understanding of the semantic ranges, modern usage, and etymology of all the English words that translators choose from. The words chosen in the receptor language are just as important for me to understand, and so I would benefit from being able to triple-click on an English word in an English translation and read up on that word. My reason may not be compelling for some, I grant. 

• Like 2

For those on macOS, the built in dictionary app is quite useful and is avaialble through Services and the searching section. 

Right click on the word in question—>choose Services at the very bottom of the right click menu—>choose Look up in Dictionary near the bottom of the right side column. There is more than just a dictionary with this tool. ;)

It is a modern dictionary and languages other than English are available as well.

—Joseph 

• Like 2

Great point, @Solly. Though, I would still appreciate more info than what the pre-installed Apple dictionaries provide. I've looked into buying and installing more dictionaries for the dictionary app, and I couldn't come up with much.

I find the Apple dictionary pretty well matches what appears in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. The MW Collegiate Dictionary really doesn't add much more information. The 1913 Webster Dictionary often gives more historical usage and range of meaning for the common English words that have been around since the early 20th century. Of course extended semantic range and common words since then will be missing, thus I would be delighted to have access to the OED.

—Joseph the OED obsessed since 1970's

• Like 2

The stats vary, but quoting some numbers from “How Many Words Are There In The English Language?”, native English speakers use about 20,000 of the 40,000 words they know, compared to the over 300,000 words in unabridged dictionaries. I know that as I read lexicons, theological dictionaries, and commentaries, I have to look up words. Scholars who write these kinds of works tend to use words that are not part of a typical person’s vocabulary.

In addition to Solly’s recommendation, there is also the Accordance web app. Modern definitions of words written by Oxford lexicographers in consultation with the OED were available on lexico.com; when it shut down last year, Lexico users were redirected to dictionary.com. Merriam-Webster also offers a large part of their unabridged dictionary for free at merriam-webster.com. At times, both sites can be quite useful.

• Thanks 2

As a mostly-unrelated and completely non-Accordance side note, did anyone here ever see the Mel Gibson film The Professor and the Madman? It's based on the eponymous book and chronicles the fascinating origin of the OED. It's a great movie. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

As a mostly-unrelated and completely non-Accordance side note, did anyone here ever see the Mel Gibson film The Professor and the Madman? It's based on the eponymous book and chronicles the fascinating origin of the OED. It's a great movie. 

Loved it, @Andrew Patterson. Great movie.