Owner's response to release of Accordance 14

Troy Wormell

Thank you @Troy Wormell.

Can someone tell me if Accordance 14 is good to go yet? I do plan on upgrading if for nothing else than the word study (which I have a keen interest in doing word studies).

10 hours ago, Jesse D said:

Thank you @Troy Wormell.

Can someone tell me if Accordance 14 is good to go yet? I do plan on upgrading if for nothing else than the word study (which I have a keen interest in doing word studies).

Yes. You should be depending on what you use. There are still some minor bugs but they are being fixed.

I have been using it for research for a week and a half and have only had one crash. But I am using a VM as well so...

What specifically are you using or going to use? If you let us know we can run some tests for you to make sure, but for my use, it has become pretty solid. 

• Like 1

Thank you for checking in! And blessings as you move forward. While acknowledging the problems others have had, I want to comment that when it has worked well (as in my case) it is a wonderful upgrade. I'm sure this has been a tough season for the team. Thank you for your work! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

Yes. You should be depending on what you use. There are still some minor bugs but they are being fixed.

I have been using it for research for a week and a half and have only had one crash. But I am using a VM as well so...

What specifically are you using or going to use? If you let us know we can run some tests for you to make sure, but for my use, it has become pretty solid. 

Hi. Thanks for your post.

Like I said, I am most interested in words studies and that is the feature I want to use from Accordance 14. I already do word studies by looking at lexicons and Biblical dictionaries and the like. I also like to cross references passages that show up as well as reading in commentaries while studying passages from the Bible. For example, I was recently reading about the Gospel of John 1 from my Tyndale commentary that I have. Things like this is what I am most interested in. So word studies, lexicons and Biblical dictionaries, and commentaries primarily. I don't do any syncing which I understand has been a problem for some people.

Thanks for your help in this!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jesse D said:

Like I said, I am most interested in words studies and that is the feature I want to use from Accordance 14. I already do word studies by looking at lexicons and Biblical dictionaries and the like. I also like to cross references passages that show up as well as reading in commentaries while studying passages from the Bible. For example, I was recently reading about the Gospel of John 1 from my Tyndale commentary that I have. Things like this is what I am most interested in. So word studies, lexicons and Biblical dictionaries, and commentaries primarily. I don't do any syncing which I understand has been a problem for some people.

That is primarily what I do and have not personally had any issues with v 14. It seems though that different computers have some issues. Pretty much the only issue that I have is the opening of Accordance over multiple monitors or off to the side.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Erhard said:

That is primarily what I do and have not personally had any issues with v 14. It seems though that different computers have some issues. Pretty much the only issue that I have is the opening of Accordance over multiple monitors or off to the side.

Thank you for your post!

@Jesse D

I will second what @Erhard said. That makes up the bulk of what I do and I have not had any issues.

The only crash I have had was an update session where looking for updates crashed it. But it only happened today.

I would say download and go for it as you should have little issue. 

• Like 2

I have posted elsewhere to say that I have not had any serious issues from 14 from the beginning. I am having an issue with updating my Syntax modules, but support thinks it is not 14 related. I also have a couple of tools I made that I cannot open. Otherwise I am running with it and enjoying it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Pauley said:

I also have a couple of tools I made that I cannot open.

What kinds of tools are they? What is it about them that you think may be causing a problem? I've created several tools that took a lot of time to make. It would be a big deal if they couldn't be used. That would be a show stopper.

@Daniel L I went back to look at those User Tools I made. When I went back everything opened except one that I had downloaded a long time ago from the User Exchange site (it is titled "Greek Grammar Tags"). I don't even remember using it but still had it. Since I last tried all of the tools I personally made now open. Someone earlier had written that after a while theirs also opened. I don't have any thoughts about what happened. Seems good now. I was also worried at first...I have a few tools I am using for dissertation prep (risky?). 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, Troy Wormell said:
As the owner of Accordance, I am deeply sorry some of you have experienced such frustrating issues with Accordance 14. The timing was my decision which was carefully balanced between your pre-order purchases and a final target date for the ETS/SBL Conferences. 

Our programmers are working to resolve the problems as quickly as possible, and you can expect another update very soon.

Accordance remains as committed as ever to offering stellar customer support, and when we stumble, we’ll do everything we can to make things right. That has not changed and will not change.

Again, we’re sorry version 14 has been such a struggle for some of you. Rest assured that we will fix the problems as soon as we possibly can. 

Hi, Troy.

I think it's time for another update from you. I've been an Accordance Windows user for some time, but only visit the forums occasionally when I want to learn some new functionality. When I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago I decided to upgrade from Version 13 to Version 14 (14.0.4.0) for use on my new machine. I was not aware of all of the complaints about Version 14 at the time. Since then, I've experienced Version 14 freezing up and crashing very frequently. If any of your programmers want to give me a call, I can walk them through some of the things that consistently cause Version 14 to crash. Very basic procedures that should never cause a program to crash. Based on what I've read here, it may be the case that Version 14 is working better on the Apple platform than on the Windows platform, but my experience on a PC is ridiculously bad. Frankly, I do not think you should be selling this software until it is fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrecht said:

I think it's time for another update from you.

Thanks for the followup. I’m showing this directly to Troy.

In the meantime, would you be able to send me an email or screen recording video of the issues that are causing 14 to crash for you? If not, I could see if I could arrange for us to have a screen sharing session where you could walk me through the issues, and I could take a screen recording of it to send to our developers.

My email is nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation).

Thanks, Nathan. Strangest thing. Now I cannot repeat the issue that would always freeze up Version 14. For the past two weeks, if I went to a verse by means of the search window, then changed the search window from Verses to Words and did a word search in Hebrew or Greek, the program would freeze up and I would have to close the program by means of the Windows Task Manager. It was consistent, like clockwork, but now it's not doing it any more. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop Version 14 in the Windows Task Manager, but now the issue has disappeared, at least for the moment. If it starts happening again, I will definitely let you know. Maybe it is only happening in some of my Workspaces but not others?? 

• Like 1

Sounds good! Keep me posted on how it goes.

Certain workspaces can cause issues. We’ve seen that occur quite commonly when people contact support (even prior to 14).

It just happened again, but I no longer think I can re-create the problem consistently. I will keep paying attention to when it crashes and see if I can get a better sense of how and why the program crashes.

• Like 1

Great. Thanks! Feel free to keep us posted on what you find.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks for the followup. I’m showing this directly to Troy.

Hi, again, Nathan.  Just following up to see what Troy's response/reaction was. Is Accordance able to track how many people who bought Version 14 are nonetheless still opting to use Version 13? Not sure if any metrics exist on this or if this could even be tracked.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, robrecht said:

Is Accordance able to track how many people who bought Version 14 are nonetheless still opting to use Version 13? Not sure if any metrics exist on this or if this could even be tracked.

Hi @robrecht,
I don't think Accordance could know for sure since there would not be a way to know what people are using on their personal computers. (Thankfully, for privacy reasons). However, on the forums maybe someone could post a survey asking people the question. It would not capture everyone since not everyone is on the forums, but those who are would probably be happy to respond which would give a general idea of who is using what.

• Like 1

@robrecht I told Troy your issue was resolved at the moment and didn’t need a response (since it looked like it was). If you need me to re-message him and get a response, I can.

At the moment, I don’t believe we have a way of tracking metrics to see who owns 14 but is running 13 since we don’t have any form of telemetry for user privacy reasons. Some crash logs get sent to us (I believe in the Mac version since Apple has the ability to do this, this is something we’d have to manually implement in the Windows version), but we’re not actively collecting user data from our apps.

As @Kristin mentioned, I could throw up a poll on here if need be, but it seems people on the forums are already telling us if they’re using 14 or 13 (although not in one centralized thread).

• Like 1

Thanks, Nathan. The issue is not resolved, just avoided by downgrading to Version 13. Since I've gone back to using Version 13, I may not be able to further identify what exactly was the cause of the frequent freezing and crashing issues in Version 14. It does seem as if the issue is not as prevalent as I once thought, possibly only related to some of my 30 workspaces when used in Version 14.

• Like 1

I haven't removed version 13 yet, but I did remove it from the task bar and have moved to using version 14 as my daily driver. Version 14 is behaving well for my needs at the moment.

—Joseph

• Like 3

I bought the upgrade but am still running 13 when i need it and havent downloaded 14 yet as i have lived without the new features for so long, i can wait a bit longer as for me, they are very nice to have but not essential.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 2:51 AM, robrecht said:

Is Accordance able to track how many people who bought Version 14 are nonetheless still opting to use Version 13? Not sure if any metrics exist on this or if this could even be tracked.

The left panel of each message in the forum displays some version information for each user.

The updating of the version number is a manual process, but that's one avenue they can use to collect some metrics.

Edited by Lawrence

• 4 weeks later...

Well thank you! I didn’t even know Accordance had an owner or that he ever posted here!

I guess you do learn something new every day! 👍😁👌