Accordance 14 Weird Phrasing Issue

Misulejoha

So I have been trying to tinker with the new Phrasing feature from version 14 but haven't had any success with it.  Usually the only options available in the dropdown list is the Hide and Lock Phasing selection; the rest is greyed out.  That is until I recently discovered the other options were available to me (i.e. Phrasing Break, Phrasing Indent, Phrasing Delete) but only when the Word Studies dialog box is opened up.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar to my situation. I hope this is helpful to any of the Accordance's programmers who are looking into all the bug issues going on with version 14.  I've attached two screenshots to show what I'm trying to say.

I am currently using Windows 11 on my Surface Pro 7 if that helps.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 183639 Phrasing.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-28 181703 Phrasing.jpg

I think this one is more of a lack of documentation than a bug. In the first screenshot I don’t see a cursor in the text, and I’m the second I do. The phrasing menu items are disabled on the first case because you haven’t yet clicked in the text. Until you do so, the program has no way of knowing where you want to add a line break or indentation.

So click and then use Shift-Tab or Shift-Enter (or the menu items) to add phrasing.

To remove phrasing, put the text cursor before the phrasing to delete and press Shift-Delete. You can remove phrasing from a range by selecting it and pressing Shift-Delete (or using the menu).

You can use the menu to hide or show the phrasing you have created.

It's a bug. The problem is that phrasing is quite broken on Windows side of things. This is a known issue. Apparently it is working closer to normal on the Mac version. I've tried to use phrasing in Windows, but it is very unstable right now and not everything works the way it's supposed to.

• Like 1

Misulejoha,

I ran into the same problem, the first two options are ghosted. I agree that at this point we have no specific instruction as to how to use the feature. Hopefully jlm's suggestions help.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jlm said:

I think this one is more of a lack of documentation than a bug. In the first screenshot I don’t see a cursor in the text, and I’m the second I do. The phrasing menu items are disabled on the first case because you haven’t yet clicked in the text. Until you do so, the program has no way of knowing where you want to add a line break or indentation.

So click and then use Shift-Tab or Shift-Enter (or the menu items) to add phrasing.

To remove phrasing, put the text cursor before the phrasing to delete and press Shift-Delete. You can remove phrasing from a range by selecting it and pressing Shift-Delete (or using the menu).

You can use the menu to hide or show the phrasing you have created.

Thanks for your response jlm.  Yeah I've tried highlighting, clicking and hovering over the text, but like I said previously nothing works with the exception of the Word Studies dialog box being opened.66840956_Screenshot2022-11-28183639Phrasing.thumb.jpg.c3fec0a3a9c058bb0b1088df6b8ff2c5.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Misulejoha said:

Thanks for your response jlm.  Yeah I've tried highlighting, clicking and hovering over the text, but like I said previously nothing works with the exception of the Word Studies dialog box being opened.66840956_Screenshot2022-11-28183639Phrasing.thumb.jpg.c3fec0a3a9c058bb0b1088df6b8ff2c5.jpg

Then I guess you have found a bug.

Are you trying to select it from the drop-down, or are you hitting Shift+Enter?

The Shift-Enter has to be done at least the first time, I think

Edited by Andrew Patterson

2 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

Are you trying to select it from the drop-down, or are you hitting Shift+Enter?

The Shift-Enter has to be done at least the first time, I think

Interstingly, If I Shift-Enter a particular verse, (ex Gen 1:1) the verse shifts down but then text and some of the references get out of whack.  I appreciate your suggestion but I guess I'll jut wait to use the Phasing feature once a more stable version is offered.334542471_Screenshot2022-11-28183639Phrasing.thumb.jpg.8175426e7dc9c82c6e5e7d25dfb24484.jpg

Yes, that's what "working" for now 😂

I totally understand waiting. The phrasing is still useful for the GNT though, if that's helpful to you. 

The thing where the superscript styles are being offset to the wrong character should be fixed in the next release, probably tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Silas Marrs said:

The thing where the superscript styles are being offset to the wrong character should be fixed in the next release, probably tomorrow.

Awesome!  Thanks Silas.  What about the fact that I can only get the Phrasing options to not be greyed out when I have another panel opened up (i.e the Word Studies panel)?  Even then I have to be active in the Word Studies panel and not in the actual text panel.  Hopefully I'm making sense (if not, please see the pics I posted above).

On 11/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, Misulejoha said:

So I have been trying to tinker with the new Phrasing feature from version 14 but haven't had any success with it.  Usually the only options available in the dropdown list is the Hide and Lock Phasing selection; the rest is greyed out.  That is until I recently discovered the other options were available to me (i.e. Phrasing Break, Phrasing Indent, Phrasing Delete) but only when the Word Studies dialog box is opened up.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar to my situation. I hope this is helpful to any of the Accordance's programmers who are looking into all the bug issues going on with version 14.  I've attached two screenshots to show what I'm trying to say.

I am currently using Windows 11 on my Surface Pro 7 if that helps.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 183639 Phrasing.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-28 181703 Phrasing.jpg

+1 for me.

Although the option is greyed out, you can still use the keyboard commands (shift+enter, shift+tab, shift+backspace).  I haven't quite figured out the solution to them being greyed out on windows, but the menu is probably the hardest way to use the feature anyway.

• Like 1

Silas,  on a side note are you guys also aware of the toolbar icons not showing very clearly when in dark mode?  The icons should be outlined in white like they are in the IOS version.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 203646toolbar.jpg

14 minutes ago, Silas Marrs said:

Although the option is greyed out, you can still use the keyboard commands (shift+enter, shift+tab, shift+backspace).  I haven't quite figured out the solution to them being greyed out on windows, but the menu is probably the hardest way to use the feature anyway.

@Silas Marrs,

Is there a guide for an easier way? I have been looking. Thanks. 

Click the word you want indented and type shift+enter or shift+tab.

There's an bug now where it can offset the styles of nearby text, but this is a display issue only, and should be fixed when we release tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tried the keyboard shortcuts and still am running into issues. On Windows. Is this still happening to you?